Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats next?
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum but I need some help.
I started looking into a degree program a few years ago (around '09/'10) but I didn't have the motivation I needed at that time to get the job done.

After working at a dead end IT job, I finally decided to drop everything and go back to school.
I managed to pull off an AA in liberal studies in a brick and mortar school using post 9/11 GI Bill but I couldn't afford to keep it up. Now I'm back in the workforce but have no upward mobility.

My question is: What should I do next? What would be my shortest path (regardless of school, or degree program) to a Bachelors degree?

In addition to my AA I have most of the CCAF credits for a 2E2X1 - (cryptographic and networks) Also, I have a CISSP which, according to Excelsior, is worth 6 of the high level credits for a BS in IT but I am willing to do any tests, online coursework, or additional IT certifications to reach my goal even if it's not IT related. Cost is not my major concern, nor area of study but I would prefer to finish as fast as possible.

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated!
You have lots of possibilities open to you!

At Excelsior, the quickest way to finish would probably be a BS in Liberal Arts with the two 12-hour depths in Psychology (test-friendly) and IT (from your credits).

At Charter Oak, for the CISSP you would get 8 upper-level hours for Cybersecurity and 8 upper-level for Networking and Telecommunications. Perhaps a BS in Information Systems Studies?

At Thomas Edison State College, the BSBA with a concentration in CIS, BSAST in IT or Technical Studies, or even a BA in Natural Science and Mathematics might be good choices for you. TESC only requires 18 upper-level credits, unlike EC and COSC which require 30, and using their TECEP exams (like CLEP or DSST) cuts the cost down thanks to their Pay Per Credit tuition plan. However, TESC is not as good as EC and COSC about accepting IT certs.

If you'd like more specific feedback, post the courses and certs you already have over on the Excelsior. Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Feedback forum, and more people will see it and try to help out.

Thank you for your service!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
If you are really motivated and disciplined you can try to go with WGU and their BS IT. There are stories in their forums of people completing this in under 6 months with a good amount of credits transferred in (AA degree)...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
Thank you both for the quick responses. I will check with a counselor at excelsior to see where I sit right now and follow up with the other options listed if it doesn't pan out.