Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Should I Apply To TESU?
Hey, guys! I'm confused about *when* I should apply to TESU. As of today, I have 0 credit hours. But, I have a ton of motivation - and a solid plan to get my BA in biology from TESU as quickly as humanly possible. Wink (I'm actually studying for the History I CLEP as I type this.)

As a military dependent, I will have my application fee waived. But, what other factors should I be aware of? I don't intend to take any actual courses from TESU (other than the capstone), and I assume it will take me around 2-3 years to acquire all the science courses I'll need to complete the degree requirements.

Obviously, I don't want to spend my time and effort working on ACE credits, ALEKS, etc, without the assurance that they'll transfer into my degree plan. So... Is it better to make the jump now (and have the assurance of transferability) or wait 'till I've accrued a significant number of credits (and risk the possibility that they won't transfer)?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer!
Do you plan to take any TECEPs?

Do you plan to get all your UL Biology credits within the year?

Ideas Wrote:Do you plan to take any TECEPs?

Do you plan to get all your UL Biology credits within the year?

I actually haven't considered TECEP's. And, I probably won't start working on my UL biology credits for at least another 2 years. (I've got quite a few core biology classes to take first. Gen. Bio I & II, Gen. Chem I & II, Organic Chem I & II, A&P, etc.) I plan to take these classes at a community college, and I don't want to completely overwhelm myself. So, I'm looking at a two-year plan for finishing all of my core education requirements + the lower level biology classes.
Here's the skinny. Applying gets you access to advising and allows you to have transcripts evaluated... kind of a moot point for you with no existing credits. You have six months after acceptance to become enrolled, which requires taking a TECEP or course. If you don't you have to apply again. Enrollment lasts a year in which time you either need to graduate or take another TECEP to extend enrollment another year. Once you're enrolled, that locks in your catalog so requirements don't change on you.

I normally recommend people apply as soon as the are ready to commit to the process, but with two years of CC planned, you might want to wait.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Since it won't cost you anything to apply, I'd do it now. Of course, nothing much happens when you do so without any credits, but at least you've locked in your catalog. The degree requirements won't change when you lock it in (fees and other things can change, but not your degree requirement).

If you take courses from SL, you can send those to TESU directly, as they are a partner college and SL doesn't charge for that.

You should plan which TECEP you'll want to take, and not let time slip away from you. I would just do an easy one. Applied Math, Computer Apps, Tech Writing, Sociology, something simple.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I was in your shoes... I would suggest not to apply to TESU yet as you don't have anything for them. Apply after you have 100+ credits.
This is what I would do, the timeline I would say is roughly 6 semesters, so you're right, about 2 years. You can get 90+ credits in 6 months!
You don't have to worry about ACE expiring any time soon for any of the courses, if you're afraid, get those done "first". It'll transfer as long as it's ACE recommended.

Here's my take or recommendation for you "Silly_Me". Since you're starting from scratch, you should focus right now on completing the General Education requirements.
This can be completed by using ALEKS, Straighterline, and Study.com. I only recommend you to complete some "required" courses from the local community college.
In fact, only 8 courses at the CC level (Gen Bio I&II, Gen Chem I&II, Gen Physics I&II, Organic Chem I&II - with labs of course!). Precalc, Genetics, Microbiology at the 3 above.

So, that leaves you with only 16 credits of biology electives + capstone. Take 4 courses at APUS/AMU at $250/credit ($750/course). Finish the capstone at TESU.
Concentration/Area of Study: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...s/#biology
Create and paste a spreadsheet again (or PM dfrecore for help) using TESU Biology Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Biology at Thomas Edison State University

I thought about the APUS/AMU BSNS in Biology, the degree appeals to me as it allows transfer of up to 90 credits...but it only allows 30 credits from ACE.
APUS/AMU BSNS - Biology or Earth Science: Bachelor of Science - Natural Sciences
BSNS Overview: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...nces/#text
BSNS Requirements: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...ementstext
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:I was in your shoes... I would suggest not to apply to TESU yet as you don't have anything for them. Apply after you have 100+ credits.
This is what I would do, the timeline I would say is roughly 6 semesters, so you're right, about 2 years. You can get 90+ credits in 6 months!
You don't have to worry about ACE expiring any time soon for any of the courses, if you're afraid, get those done "first". It'll transfer as long as it's ACE recommended.

Here's my take or recommendation for you "Silly_Me". Since you're starting from scratch, you should focus right now on completing the General Education requirements.
This can be completed by using ALEKS, Straighterline, and Study.com. I only recommend you to complete some "required" courses from the local community college.
In fact, only 8 courses at the CC level (Gen Bio I&II, Gen Chem I&II, Gen Physics I&II, Organic Chem I&II - with labs of course!). Precalc, Genetics, Microbiology at the 3 above.

So, that leaves you with only 16 credits of biology electives + capstone. Take 4 courses at APUS/AMU at $250/credit ($750/course). Finish the capstone at TESU.
Concentration/Area of Study: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...s/#biology
Create and paste a spreadsheet again (or PM dfrecore for help) using TESU Biology Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Biology at Thomas Edison State University

I thought about the APUS/AMU BSNS in Biology, the degree appeals to me as it allows transfer of up to 90 credits...but it only allows 30 credits from ACE.
APUS/AMU BSNS - Biology or Earth Science: Bachelor of Science - Natural Sciences
BSNS Overview: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...nces/#text
BSNS Requirements: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/a...ementstext

You're brilliant!!! Thank you so much... I had no idea AMU offered so many upper level science courses - and for cheaper than the "extension" schools I've been looking at. I assume the AMU courses are all "for credit" & not ACE-recommended (pass/fail-type courses)? If so, that will make the transition to grad school way easier. *whew* Great plan!

Now... Back to studying for the History CLEP. Wink
I am team "apply right away" because I wanted to lock in my catalog and requirements. When I found this forum about this time last year everyone was talking about how TESU was no longer allowing the business capstone to be transferred in. So now since I missed that change by a few months I am currently studying for the TECEP and terrified that I will fail and need to pay $1500 to take the course just to finish my degree. Before that change I could have taken the course from a different provider for a few hundreds bucks and no pressure. I know that has nothing to do with the Biology degree, but my point is that things keep changing and nobody knows what's coming next for any of the degrees. You can see the degree requirements you need as of now. You know where to get the courses you need as of now. What happens if you come back to this in two years and TESU (or whatever school) has added two new requirements that have no cheap options and you need to fork out an extra, unexpected $3000 because the new courses are only available to be taken at TESU. Instead, you can apply now and take a TECEP for $114 within six months and then do the same again a year from now. So for a couple hundred dollars you can lock in the course requirements that you see as of now and be done with it. You won't get any surprises in 2019 when you go to apply after knocking out your CC courses. That's just my two cents. Good luck!!
Silly_Me Wrote:You're brilliant!!! Thank you so much... I had no idea AMU offered so many upper level science courses - and for cheaper than the "extension" schools I've been looking at. I assume the AMU courses are all "for credit" & not ACE-recommended (pass/fail-type courses)? If so, that will make the transition to grad school way easier. *whew* Great plan!

Now... Back to studying for the History CLEP. Wink

Your assumption is correct, these are for UL RA credit where you get letter grades and not ACE recommendation pass/fail courses.
I noticed you're more into attaining or obtaining CLEP/DSST than ACE/NCCRS, I understand preference over the other.

This has been mentioned before, but you should really consider https://modernstates.org/ , get the CLEPS FREE! Try all of them!
However, I would highly recommend supplementing this with some other CLEP/DSST resources to the "the fuller picture".

ndelcollo Wrote:I am team "apply right away" because I wanted to lock in my catalog and requirements. When I found this forum about this time last year everyone was talking about how TESU was no longer allowing the business capstone to be transferred in. So now since I missed that change by a few months I am currently studying for the TECEP and terrified that I will fail and need to pay $1500 to take the course just to finish my degree. Before that change I could have taken the course from a different provider for a few hundreds bucks and no pressure. My point is that things keep changing and nobody knows what's coming next. You can see the degree requirements you need as of now. You know where to get the courses you need as of now. What happens if you come back to this in two years and TESU (or whatever school) has added two new requirements that have no cheap options and you need to fork out an extra, unexpected $3000 because the new courses are only available to be taken at TESU. Instead, you can apply now and take a TECEP for $114 within six months and then do the same again a year from now. So for a couple hundred dollars you can lock in the course requirements that you see as of now and be done with it. You won't get any surprises in 2019 when you go to apply after knocking out your CC courses. That's just my two cents. Good luck!!

For the BSBA, I would recommend the user to do the same thing. However, as the OP is looking for a BA/BS Biology, I agree with davewill on this.
The OP should wait until they've got "some credits" under their belt before they apply and get an evaluation or enroll to lock in a catalog year.

I would suggest getting as many cheap/free CLEP/DSST exams you can get under your belt if you're not going for the ACE/NCCRS credits.
Here's the two links you would want to transfer your "general education requirements" from either or both of those options.

TESU CLEP Equivalency - CLEP - College-Level Exam Program
TESU DSST Equivalency - https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/DSST.cfm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,004 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,674 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,129 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,666 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,745 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,363 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,608 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,396 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore