Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When even schools don't know the difference between NA and RA
Sad 
Rowan University, a REGIONALLY accredited school in New Jersey, touts their "national" accreditation on their academics page: https://www.rowan.edu/home/academics

I opened a support ticket on their site a couple of weeks ago politely telling them this might make them look bad to savvy students, and their reply was a confusing one that indicated that they didn't understand the distinction and prefer to leave the phrasing as is.

Oh well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Ideas, zapproximator
And it's a public NJ State school - that's just sad. 

You should send it to the President of the school. He must be aware that they are a RA school and what the difference is (https://www.geteducated.com/regional-vs-...e-colleges) Iit doesnt even list who they are accredited by, very poor informational miss for state school site.  I don't even see an email listed for him: https://www.rowan.edu/home/about/contact-us
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Ideas
Picking nits - regional accreditation is national accreditation. All the authorizing legislation is federal and the legislation and likely the practice do not provide for tiers of accreditation.

Yes I know the difference but national accreditation would be considered the highest form of accreditation in the real world.
Regional accreditation is recognized nationally/federally, but they're certainly not the same thing. As far as federal recognition it's true that there's no tiered system, but within academia "in practice," there certainly exists a hierarchy. And I'd agree that often times outside of academia ("in the real world") people won't know the difference so could assume national is the highest form, but for anyone that knows the difference they would not consider national the highest form.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You're right - because there is no real reason to know unless you work for the registrar.

Another example, my dh works for an RA university. They have tuition reimbursement and their dean sent out a list of suggested master's programs that the instructors without master's degrees should consider. While they previously hired teachers with only a bachelor's degree, this policy was changing, and all teachers needed a masters by whenever 2020 or something. On that list were numerous NA schools. The kicker here is that you need an RA masters - NA won't cut it. So, I crafted an email for my husband to send to his boss and the dean confessed he had no idea about the different types of accreditation or what would / wouldn't work for his faculty. Nothing else was sent out- no correction or anything.

(09-06-2018, 11:46 AM)Old Guy Wrote: Picking nits - regional accreditation is national accreditation. All the authorizing legislation is federal and the legislation and likely the practice do not provide for tiers of accreditation.

Yes I know the difference but national accreditation would be considered the highest form of accreditation in the real world.

Sorry, I disagree. Regional is regional all day. National can mean ANYTHING and is undefined. Regional accreditation is specific and well defined.

To be RA does not mean you have NA.
(09-06-2018, 11:46 AM)Old Guy Wrote: Picking nits - regional accreditation is national accreditation.  All the authorizing legislation is federal and the legislation and likely the practice do not provide for tiers of accreditation.

It's not really nitpicking to tell someone to use the correct language on their website.  They have the best accreditation there is, yet they are saying they don't.  That's just dumb!

It's like if I put my AA on my resume instead of my BA.  That would be silly, and shortchanging myself.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
I missed this thread. Since probably most college students don't understand accreditation, it's important that the school use the correct terminology. I just came across an important industry certification the other day that requires a degree from a regionally accredited school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My son is attending a nationally accredited certificate program in our town.  However, when we were speaking with admissions, I was told that they are accredited and was told his credits should transfer anywhere.  I asked what kind of accreditation it was and who was the accrediting agency and she looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "I don't know, I can find out."  They are nationally accredited by ABHES for their programs in Personal Training and Massage.  I told the admissions counselor that she should not be telling people that they can transfer the credits anywhere because not every college accepts National accreditation. She had no idea about their accreditation, just that they had it.  This program is fine for us and will help him achieve Certifications as a PFT, but I am glad that I knew what to ask!  (Thanks to Jennifer Cook Derosa!)
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(10-29-2018, 07:26 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: My son is attending a nationally accredited certificate program in our town.  However, when we were speaking with admissions, I was told that they are accredited and was told his credits should transfer anywhere.  I asked what kind of accreditation it was and who was the accrediting agency and she looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "I don't know, I can find out."  They are nationally accredited by ABHES for their programs in Personal Training and Massage.  I told the admissions counselor that she should not be telling people that they can transfer the credits anywhere because not every college accepts National accreditation. She had no idea about their accreditation, just that they had it.  This program is fine for us and will help him achieve Certifications as a PFT, but I am glad that I knew what to ask!  (Thanks to Jennifer Cook Derosa!)

Accreditation is only a big deal when it is- like when you need it for a license or when you hope to transfer credits or get financial aid, and even then sometimes you need one or the other. If your son were in the military and trying to use his GI Bill, they would totally cover RA and NA equally- they don't care, as long as either/or RA/NA. If he were trying to become a cosmetologist, finding an RA diploma is almost impossible (yet NA is almost always required) so it's just a funny topic because again, it's only a big deal when it is.
My own AOS was from the best culinary school in the country at the time, and it wasn't RA. I didn't know that because it was "accredited" and I received federal financial aid- nothing was wrong until 15 years later when I wanted a bachelor's degree and couldn't figure out why my credits wouldn't transfer *EVEN TO UoP* only then did I learn about accreditation- and my JOB was for a college where I started a degree program from scratch- accreditation was part of my job (though it wasn't RA accreditation that I dealt with, it was our industry accreditor and the US Department of Labor) so I know we talk about this like people should know, but people don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 295 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Switiching schools Joellem 14 787 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Joellem
  Unaccredited degree assembled from courses at accredited schools elcastor21 1 370 09-26-2023, 12:07 PM
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 615 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Top 10 Feeder Schools for 100 Tech Companies sanantone 13 3,487 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 495 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools clep3705 60 7,263 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Rebounding - Private schools & Homeschooling... bjcheung77 0 398 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM
  Self-Paced Online Schools Alpha 8 1,712 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM