Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is a good time to register?
Hi guys,
I’m seeing how long it’s taking to get the transcripts over and have them evaluated. These are all of the courses that I’ve done:

Sophia:
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
Introduction to Business
Accounting
Business Law
Introduction to Information Technology
Introduction to Web Development
The Essentials of Managing Conflict
Conflict Resolution
Developing Effective Teams
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Art History I
Environmental Science
US History I
College Readiness

Study:
Business 313: Organizational Communication
Nutrition 101 - Science of Nutrition
Biology 101L
Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work
Business 111: Principles of Supervision
Business 106: Human Resource Management

That's only 75 credits and not quite the 90 I was shooting for. Next will be for me to do Spanish and American Gov on IC. Depending on how much more time I’d have left, I was planning on taking Managerial Accounting as well on IC and possibly take a CLEP test for English. I would like to start UMPI in the Fall (program start date 8/30). My question is, should I register now so that I can have my transcript processing instead of waiting until 8/5 (the registration date that I gave myself)? Also, can you help me wrap my head around a timeline? If everything goes right, I’m looking at anywhere between 16-19 courses that I’d have to take at UMPI. Do you think that would be doable to do in 2 sessions? BTW, I’ll be going for the BABA in Management & Leadership. I would also love to include the Project Management as a minor if possible but if not, I’m okay without it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes carebear_007's post:
  • Pikachu
Not every course is offered each term which is why it helps to get close to 90 credits so you can finish at the most 2 terms.

You don't want to be in a situation where you do 8 courses the first term (missing 1-2 courses only offered that term), 8 courses a second term (missing 1-2 courses only offered that term), then do only 1-2 courses next term since that all that is offered and 1-2 courses the term after that for a total of 4 terms.

CLEP English takes them 2 weeks to grade it so you need to take it ASAP.

I would for sure get the Managerial Accounting, Spanish and American Govt done on IC.  Maybe check into if they take the business ethics course too.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu
(06-25-2021, 06:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Not every course is offered each term which is why it helps to get close to 90 credits so you can finish at the most 2 terms.

You don't want to be in a situation where you do 8 courses the first term (missing 1-2 courses only offered that term), 8 courses a second term (missing 1-2 courses only offered that term), then do only 1-2 courses next term since that all that is offered and 1-2 courses the term after that for a total of 4 terms.

I would for sure get the Managerial Accounting, Spanish and American Govt done on IC.  Maybe check into if they take the business ethics course too.
All good pointers. Thank you! I just signed up for Spanish today. Hopefully I can get that done sooner than later. After that, the plan was to do American Government. But based on what you said, it sounds like I need to do English ASAP. That would mean that I’d have to do modern states so I can be more confident that I’d do well on the exam. I think if I can do anywhere between 3-5 more courses I’d be in a better position when I start UMPI.
Honestly, at what point do you feel like you can commit the most time to finishing this as quickly as possible, but, also to learn and polish off your weak areas in the degree? You will most likely need two terms, so starting at any term, and spending 4 months to finish off your degree would work if you do second haf or first half of wheatever term.
(06-26-2021, 12:38 AM)ashkir Wrote: Honestly, at what point do you feel like you can commit the most time to finishing this as quickly as possible, but, also to learn and polish off your weak areas in the degree? You will most likely need two terms, so starting at any term, and spending 4 months to finish off your degree would work if you do second haf or first half of wheatever term.
 The courses that I listed were done in about 5 months. I zipped through the stuff I did know and slowed down with the stuff I was semi familiar with and even took more time to learn the stuff that where I felt I was weak. I’ve been a lot more committed than I thought I’d be.

Seeing what I have so far and what needs to be done outside of UMPI, should I register now to get started with the transcript transfer and review or do you think that registering August 5th would be fine? I think the deadline to register is 8/16.
I am wanting to start the August 30th term also (to be finished by Christmas - 2 terms) and wondering when to register as well. I am finishing some Sophia courses and I know how long I take on average to complete them ..... but I don't know about the instantcert courses.

How long does it take to complete the instantcert courses compared to Sophia? Anyone can chime in their thoughts? For example, the Sophia courses take me 3 - 5 days each on average, but the Stats and Algebra for example took me like 30'days!

Also, do you really need the textbooks for the instantcert courses? I am out of the country so that won't be possible and the E books supposedly aren't the right version.

Umpi requires the transcripts by midaugust and then waiting to get back the results from their audit may take some time... So if one of my RA classes doesn't cover what I think it does, I would need time to get permission and start it elsewhere to keep my UmpI load minimal.

Not sure how to strategize! To keep working to transfer in as many classes as possible or register and request permission for the classes specifically needed to still fill in my gaps? (Do they take long in giving permission? Do they say no? That makes me leery of registering too soon....)
One thing I believe all of you need to keep in mind, is UMPI is in the middle of an evaluation of ACE credit, following the steps of WGU, TESU, COSC, Excelsior, and possibly potentially downgrading credit. So the SOONER you send these into UMPI the better.

You can get your classes transcribed now and tell them you're still working on Sophia, etc, and delay your admission by a term. Just tell them you'd like to transfer in a few more but aren't completely done yet, and they should transcribe what you currently have. So if you're done with Sophia, transfer that now, get your evaluation.

For Study.com I wouldn't recommend much beyond Biology there. It'd take about a week if you work at it non-stop. InstantCert would take about the same time if you dedicate yourself to it as well. I would recommend Spanish at InstantCert and Biology with Lab at study.com then transfer ASAP and just do the rest at UMPI. While you may need to do 15-20 classes at UMPI it's typically much easier to do it there versus study.com etc. You might end up needing a third term, but that's okay! Study.com is expensive anyways, but, with UMPI you can use FAFSA and a Pell Grant, in fact if you have Pell Grant you can ask for an ACADEMIC JUDGEMENT to waive all your other costs. If you lost a job, etc, so your income isn't as high as it was two years ago ASK FOR AN ACADEMIC JUDGEMENT they can reevaluate and give you "bonus" financial aid money from the university financial aid budget! These are meant to help in times of hardship!!!

The sooner you get started after you finish at least Sophia, the faster you an be done with your degree. If you continue dragging your feet thinking maybe 1 more instantcert class, maybe sophia will add something new, you're just delaying time yourself. I ended up just dealing with the extras at UMPI to get it DONE.
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • carebear_007, Pikachu, ss20ts
(06-26-2021, 01:00 PM)ashkir Wrote: One thing I believe all of you need to keep in mind, is UMPI is in the middle of an evaluation of ACE credit, following the steps of WGU, TESU, COSC, Excelsior, and possibly potentially downgrading credit. So the SOONER you send these into UMPI the better.

You can get your classes transcribed now and tell them you're still working on Sophia, etc, and delay your admission by a term. Just tell them you'd like to transfer in a few more but aren't completely done yet, and they should transcribe what you currently have. So if you're done with Sophia, transfer that now, get your evaluation.

For Study.com I wouldn't recommend much beyond Biology there. It'd take about a week if you work at it non-stop. InstantCert would take about the same time if you dedicate yourself to it as well. I would recommend Spanish at InstantCert and Biology with Lab at study.com then transfer ASAP and just do the rest at UMPI. While you may need to do 15-20 classes at UMPI it's typically much easier to do it there versus study.com etc. You might end up needing a third term, but that's okay! Study.com is expensive anyways, but, with UMPI you can use FAFSA and a Pell Grant, in fact if you have Pell Grant you can ask for an ACADEMIC JUDGEMENT to waive all your other costs. If you lost a job, etc, so your income isn't as high as it was two years ago ASK FOR AN ACADEMIC JUDGEMENT they can reevaluate and give you "bonus" financial aid money from the university financial aid budget! These are meant to help in times of hardship!!!

The sooner you get started after you finish at least Sophia, the faster you an be done with your degree. If you continue dragging your feet thinking maybe 1 more instantcert class, maybe sophia will add something new, you're just delaying time yourself. I ended up just dealing with the extras at UMPI to get it DONE.

I'll follow your suggestion and register now. Ahhhhh I'm so excited and nervous. I can't believe that I'm actually applying at a University. 

One more question. I applied for Federal Student Aid during the first week of May. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the process but am I supposed to hear anything if I get approved for a loan or grant or will all of this happen at UMPI? I did include in my application that I'd be attending UMPI. Never mind this question. I watched the YouTube video, After the FAFSA: What Happens Next

Smile
(06-26-2021, 12:31 AM)carebear_007 Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 06:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Not every course is offered each term which is why it helps to get close to 90 credits so you can finish at the most 2 terms.

All good pointers. Thank you! I just signed up for Spanish today. Hopefully I can get that done sooner than later. After that, the plan was to do American Government. But based on what you said, it sounds like I need to do English ASAP. That would mean that I’d have to do modern states so I can be more confident that I’d do well on the exam. I think if I can do anywhere between 3-5 more courses I’d be in a better position when I start UMPI.

I would do modern states videos at 2x speed, really go through the course fast like 4hrs total.  Then get Master the CLEP 12th Edition (Peterson's) which you can find online for free or just buy the Amazon Kindle version for $6.

The main thing with the English Comp test is not running out of time.  You need to practice the testing format.  Practice writing a few essays and know the APA format well.  Most of the test you really can't study for. You either know English well or you don't.  It's an easy test, just manage your time. 

Spanish is tough if you take it for the first time.  The key is to learn the basics what is needed to pass the course, nothing more.  It's easy to get lost in the woods learning a language.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • carebear_007, Pikachu
(06-25-2021, 05:02 PM)carebear_007 Wrote: Hi guys,
I’m seeing how long it’s taking to get the transcripts over and have them evaluated. These are all of the courses that I’ve done:

Study:
Business 106: Human Resource Management

That's only 75 credits and not quite the 90 I was shooting for. Next will be for me to do Spanish and American Gov on IC. Depending on how much more time I’d have left, I was planning on taking Managerial Accounting as well on IC and possibly take a CLEP test for English. I would like to start UMPI in the Fall (program start date 8/30). My question is, should I register now so that I can have my transcript processing instead of waiting until 8/5 (the registration date that I gave myself)? Also, can you help me wrap my head around a timeline? If everything goes right, I’m looking at anywhere between 16-19 courses that I’d have to take at UMPI. Do you think that would be doable to do in 2 sessions? BTW, I’ll be going for the BABA in Management & Leadership. I would also love to include the Project Management as a minor if possible but if not, I’m okay without it.

Wait to apply. Once you apply you'll be accepted and automatically enrolled. There's no registering. Once you've been accepted you need permission to take classes outside of UMPI and transfer them in.

Study's Business106 is no longer a UL course and is now a LL business elective. 

I wouldn't spend my time on a CLEP for Eng Comp. The Eng Comp courses at UMPI are VERY easy and fast. You need to complete a minimum of 30 credits there. 

No I do not think you will complete 16-19 courses in 2 terms. That's not realistic for the vast majority of the population. The average student completes 2-3 courses per term. Terms are only 8 weeks long. Every course is also not offered every term and some have prereqs you'll need to complete.

(06-25-2021, 06:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I would for sure get the Managerial Accounting, Spanish and American Govt done on IC.  Maybe check into if they take the business ethics course too.

No need for the business ethics course because the OP has already taken ethics on Sophia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  part time course Peraings41 6 375 02-29-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Good UL credits on Brightspace? (not history/poli sci) umpidawg10 7 1,014 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: umpidawg10
  How many courses for part time? hope22 4 464 07-31-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What's the average time it takes for you to complete a class? Dlynn1219 6 971 07-21-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: PineapplePen
  Good news, Sophia's course Critical Thinking is now available for transfer as HUM103 Leo Wu 9 1,145 06-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Infinite-Telephone52
  average amount of time to complete each UMPI class? EducationSeeker 10 2,714 01-29-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When pressed for time, BUS 330 or BUS 440? dsec2013 16 2,186 11-23-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Mr T
  Degree Plan and Killing Time mikehart82 20 2,113 10-27-2022, 06:18 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Good news for those who dislike math? rachel83az 5 810 08-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Consideration - Length of time UMPI Professors take to grade papers and projects CCCC 10 1,694 04-13-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: ss20ts