Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is best degree by examination BSBA Int Business, CIS, Gen Management
I have no knowledge of college stuff at all so trying to wrap my head around everything and how it all works.
I want get the degree through as much CLEP & DSST, etc as possible minus the capstone and other class
I have no credits but I have a (CCNA) Cisco Certified Network Associate
With that said I am interest in 3 different degrees BSBA international business, BSBA general management, and BSBA CIS
I think that with my knowledge of CCNA and the stuff that goes along with it the CIS would be easier/I might even be able to get credit for the CCNA(but I don't know a Programming language... I don't know if it means an overview of programming languages or you need to actually pick one and learn it.) but I aslo don't want to learn a programming language unless it doesn't get to deep and I can choose like python and take a test... which I don't think is an option..
My next option is definitely international business unless its just easier to go with general management but I would like to get some feedback on all this and clarification
Thanks in advance
also I don't know if this is the correct place to post this...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Osediu's post:
  • akr680
This would probably fit better in the degree advising section of the forum. That said, TESU doesn't have international business. If you mean international studies, that can't be fully tested out of. General management or CIS could work. With CIS, yes you'd have to actually learn a programming language well enough to pass a test in it. You could do Python if you wanted; Study.com has Python as an option. General management might be the best option for you, if you're not too interested in programing languages.

The best thing to do to begin would be to go sign up for Sophia.org. It's only $79/mo. and you can take as many of their classes as you are able to during that period. They have several business essentials like one of the accounting classes, business law, macro/microeconomics, and so on. Check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List to see what transfers to TESU and what does not. Once you've completed Sophia, you'll be done with most of your general education requirements (and some AOS requirements) and can figure out where to go from there.
(08-12-2020, 04:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: This would probably fit better in the degree advising section of the forum. That said, TESU doesn't have international business. If you mean international studies, that can't be fully tested out of. General management or CIS could work. With CIS, yes you'd have to actually learn a programming language well enough to pass a test in it. You could do Python if you wanted; Study.com has Python as an option. General management might be the best option for you, if you're not too interested in programing languages.

The best thing to do to begin would be to go sign up for Sophia.org. It's only $79/mo. and you can take as many of their classes as you are able to during that period. They have several business essentials like one of the accounting classes, business law, macro/microeconomics, and so on. Check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List to see what transfers to TESU and what does not. Once you've completed Sophia, you'll be done with most of your general education requirements (and some AOS requirements) and can figure out where to go from there.

I think they do have international business, correct me if I'm wrong? https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/inter...l-business
If the above is correct does that change anything from your original statement? Not being able to test out,etc. 
Also how does Study.com/sophia.org and maybe other sites that are similar work in terms of getting credit? Do you take a class and you just get credit? or do you have to take a test through tesu? or can you take a CLEP or DSST or some other similar exam? So specifically for Python would I have to study a class on study.com and then where do I go from there to get the credit? I don't quite understand how that works... sorry I never thought I would be trying to get a degree bc I don't like the traditional method but now I see this route and I would much rather study on my own and take exams to test my way through as much as possible. Also I have been interested in python in the past but I don't really want it to slow me down or make it more difficult finish. I am interested in the networking/cybersecurity and business realm of things but I want the degree to be able to teach english overseas. BUT if after a couple of years I decide its not for me I can always fall back on the degree in said area of interest.
thanks again
I assume you are talking about TESU

For international business you need to wait till ACE approves these 2 course in order to do everything through study.com
Business 320: Advanced International Business
Business 205: International Retailing Strategy & Operations

For CIS, if 204: Database Programming counts as a programming language then you could kill 2 birds with one stone since you need to know database SQL for the management UL class.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Osediu
Ah, it's not on https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees so international business probably cannot be tested out of. The online ones usually can be tested out of (at least mostly). The ones that are not listed as online degrees require classes that generally must be taken in-person and cannot be tested out of.

Sophia/Study.com/StraighterLine/etc. are what's called ACE credit providers. You take a test through them then register with ACE that you have taken the test. The basics are found here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Am..._Education You do not need to take another test with TESU once you have taken the ACE credit test in question.

Once you have a few classes on your ACE transcript, you can send that to TESU to be evaluated. They will not accept all ACE credits as being equivalent to TESU courses but they will accept a lot of them. You can bring in a maximum of 90 credits from any one source, a maximum of 114 credits all together.

If you wanted credit on Study.com for learning Python, you would have to sign up for the $200/mo. level ( https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Study.com ) to be eligible to take exams for credit. You would go through the Study.com Python course (which I believe has a couple of small assignments as well). Once you had finished with that and scored well on the quizzes, you can take the exam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Osediu
(08-12-2020, 11:50 AM)Osediu Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 04:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: This would probably fit better in the degree advising section of the forum. That said, TESU doesn't have international business. If you mean international studies, that can't be fully tested out of. General management or CIS could work. With CIS, yes you'd have to actually learn a programming language well enough to pass a test in it. You could do Python if you wanted; Study.com has Python as an option. General management might be the best option for you, if you're not too interested in programing languages.

I think they do have international business, correct me if I'm wrong? https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/inter...l-business
If the above is correct does that change anything from your original statement? Not being able to test out,etc. 
Also how does Study.com/sophia.org and maybe other sites that are similar work in terms of getting credit? Do you take a class and you just get credit? or do you have to take a test through tesu? or can you take a CLEP or DSST or some other similar exam? So specifically for Python would I have to study a class on study.com and then where do I go from there to get the credit? I don't quite understand how that works... sorry I never thought I would be trying to get a degree bc I don't like the traditional method but now I see this route and I would much rather study on my own and take exams to test my way through as much as possible. Also I have been interested in python in the past but I don't really want it to slow me down or make it more difficult finish. I am interested in the networking/cybersecurity and business realm of things but I want the degree to be able to teach english overseas. BUT if after a couple of years I decide its not for me I can always fall back on the degree in said area of interest.
thanks again

That degree is NOT in the online degrees. That degree is one that is completed on campus. This is where you need to look at their online degrees:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees
So a lady called me from TESU and said that I could talk to an advisor after applying with $50 fee... She said that I would be considered a student but not enrolled... I guess my question is - since I have no credits or anything, is it better to apply later after I have most of the credits that I need or apply and make sure that I am taking the right classes that will be accepted by them(through the CLEP & DSST route)? will I have to pay any other fees or how does that process work? I want to do it as cheaply as possible of course so I don't know about how to do this process... staying away from any tuition graduation fees residency fees etc. I want to be able to do it within a year(but don't know 100% for sure that I can) so I don't want to pay anything twice bc I didn't finish in time. I hope that makes sense... if any clarification is need please ask
thanks

I keep running across this and can't find out what it means, "UL"?
After you apply, you have 1 year to enroll and to become a TESU student. In general, it's a good idea to apply and to send in what credits you have approximately every 6 months (around December 1st and May 1st, give or take) because catalog changes usually come on January 1st and June 1st. If your credits are on your transcript, they will still count even if TESU stops taking them for whatever reason while you're a student.

To become fully enrolled (which is highly recommended because it grants you unlimited incoming transcript evaluations from TESU), all you need to do is to take one class or to pay for a TECEP. A TECEP is essentially TESU's version of CLEP and the cheapest one is medical terminology for $50. This does not need to be done immediately.

Due to the pandemic, the CLEP/DSST route is NOT going to work right now. Most testing centers are closed. But that's okay because you can still complete a degree with ACE credits and TECEPs done from the comfort of your own home.

Unless you take 16 credits with TESU, you will have to pay the residency waiver and graduation fees at some point before graduation. However, you should NOT do this until you are about to graduate.

I have never talked directly to an advisor. It's actually recommended that you not talk to them unless absolutely necessary. They have a tendency to insist that you have to take classes through TESU and/or are not always fully aware of what ACE options are available.

The best thing for you to do right now is to sign up for Sohpia.org and take all of their classes except Foundations and College Readiness. They will all transfer in either as general ed credits or electives. Even if it takes you 6 months to complete Sophia, that's about $6.00 per credit. Even better if you can find someone to go halvies with you on a yearly subscription. There is a thread on this. That'd bring the cost down to less than $1 per credit (about $75 for one year vs. $79/mo). The annual option will only be available until the end of August.

Again, these are credits that you MUST have anyway, so you might as well get them inexpensively through Sophia rather than paying at least $20-30 per credit elsewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Osediu
(08-12-2020, 03:32 PM)Osediu Wrote: I keep running across this and can't find out what it means, "UL"?

It means Upper Level courses, (the 300s and/or 400s level of course numbering)
LL is lower level (100s and 200s for course numbers)
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • Osediu
(08-12-2020, 04:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: After you apply, you have 1 year to enroll and to become a TESU student. In general, it's a good idea to apply and to send in what credits you have approximately every 6 months (around December 1st and May 1st, give or take) because catalog changes usually come on January 1st and June 1st. If your credits are on your transcript, they will still count even if TESU stops taking them for whatever reason while you're a student.

To become fully enrolled (which is highly recommended because it grants you unlimited incoming transcript evaluations from TESU), all you need to do is to take one class or to pay for a TECEP. A TECEP is essentially TESU's version of CLEP and the cheapest one is medical terminology for $50. This does not need to be done immediately.

Due to the pandemic, the CLEP/DSST route is NOT going to work right now. Most testing centers are closed. But that's okay because you can still complete a degree with ACE credits and TECEPs done from the comfort of your own home.

Unless you take 16 credits with TESU, you will have to pay the residency waiver and graduation fees at some point before graduation. However, you should NOT do this until you are about to graduate.

I have never talked directly to an advisor. It's actually recommended that you not talk to them unless absolutely necessary. They have a tendency to insist that you have to take classes through TESU and/or are not always fully aware of what ACE options are available.

The best thing for you to do right now is to sign up for Sohpia.org and take all of their classes except Foundations and College Readiness. They will all transfer in either as general ed credits or electives. Even if it takes you 6 months to complete Sophia, that's about $6.00 per credit. Even better if you can find someone to go halvies with you on a yearly subscription. There is a thread on this. That'd bring the cost down to less than $1 per credit (about $75 for one year vs. $79/mo). The annual option will only be available until the end of August.

Again, these are credits that you MUST have anyway, so you might as well get them inexpensively through Sophia rather than paying at least $20-30 per credit elsewhere.

Am I better off going to some other school over TESU? or is there really no advantage? their residency waiver fee for 2020-2021 is basically $3200 unless you spend more getting 16 credits through them so I guess not horrible.
Will ALL the credits from sophia transfer? I keep seeing peoples signatures on here say that some of their sophia credits didn't transfer (ex: sophia-10 out of 19 transfered) am I misunderstanding? also completing every class on sophia except 2(I think i counted correctly taking the 2 out that you mentioned above) that would put me around 82 credits that sounds kind of high, is this correct? 
Im also open for alternatives if you guys are seeing something that I am not.
Should I go through and make a spreadsheat of everything I need for the chosen degree before actually moving forward?
Could I get an associates with my bachelors(to kill 2 birds with 1 stone) fairly easy going this route or no? or completely depends on the degree chosen?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 167 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 151 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 86 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,768 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 213 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,573 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 218 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 635 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,160 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az