Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which language would you learn?
I recently read an article that said studying/knowing a second language can help to stave off dementia in old age. And that got me thinking about learning a second language while I'm still young.

I thought it would be a fun Off-topic discussion if people shared their choices for foreign language study.

My first obvious choice would be Spanish, then French. My "random choice" would be Afrikaans, ever since I learned about the language it has intrigued me.

So, what language would you guys and gals choose to learn?
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, lived for 4 years in West Germany, and always wanted to learn to speak French. Watch some foreign films and see what you like! Smile
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Spanish - At least half of the social service jobs in South Texas require or prefer someone who is fluent in Spanish.

Farsi - It's the easiest language I've found that's needed by the federal government.

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school. I was even in honors and pre-AP Spanish and still can't speak it. I've studied Farsi a little using Pimsleur, but they only offer one level. The only other option is Rosetta Stone, but I've tried that and it was terrible.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
On a semi-related topic (not trying to hijack your thread),

but Kentucky is working on legislation that would allow for computer programming languages to count as foreign language credits!

Kentucky law could let kids swap foreign language classes for coding lessons
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
That's kind of cool, but I think every state should have a technology requirement. I had to take a tech course in high school. I chose the easiest one, but now I wish I would have chosen Java.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My first choice would be Spanish. Don't really know why, but I've always enjoyed it. I took like 4 years of Spanish in high school, but just like sanantone, I can't speak it.
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Spanish, for the very reasons sanantone described; it's not always a mentioned job preference or requirement around here, but talking to other HR peeps, there's usually a slight pay bump for individuals who are bilingual in Spanish. It's one of the courses my kiddo requested for next year's homeschool curriculum, so his daddy and I are going to learn alongside him and we'll speak as we learn. Found a nice, kiddo-friendly curriculum for it.

My second choice is a tie between Italian or Portugese. I love the cultures of the countries and would love to travel to each sometime to see historical sites, and I'm against the idea of being an "arrogant American" that ventures into a foreign country without knowing at least the basics of the native language.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
tlhIngan jatlh vIneH !!!
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Don't know what I want to learn, but I know I couldn't learn ANY language that was...tonal? In Chinese, "ma' can mean one of four things depending on the tone. I'm tone deaf. I'm glad I wasn't born in China or no one would understand me!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I hope studying languages DOES stave off dementia, as someone here said! I'm 71 and over the years, I've "been to school" for a few languages - French, German, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Chinese (hardest of ALL by far!) and Ukrainian. In recent times, I've learned a bit of Bible Greek and picked up some Yiddish. Yiddish wasn't that difficult as it has a lot of German vocabulary content. It's properly written in a slightly modified Hebrew Alphabet - which, believe it or not, my Latin teacher taught me when I was 12. He was a wonderful teacher, who knew over a dozen languages and taught us the Hebrew and Greek alphabets, to show us the story of our own Roman alphabet.

You may laugh and say that Latin isn't very useful but

(1) 65% of English comes from Latin words and there's nothing like Latin to help improve knowledge of English
(2) It sure helps a person know how French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian got to where they are.
(3) If you've learned Latin grammar - you've pretty much learned grammar - period. You have a framework to apply to other languages.

I just decided the other day I should learn Polish. I've downloaded some videos and a free grammar.

Trzymajcie kciuki za mnie! (I hope) that means "wish me luck."

Johann

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 464 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Language learning bundle rachel83az 4 1,680 12-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Easiest Critical Languages to Learn sanantone 14 1,987 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  uTalk Language Learning Essentials - FREE bjcheung77 2 1,033 11-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE Udemy - Learn Python Programming! (Free offer ends today!) bjcheung77 2 1,049 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,673 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  How did you learn about testing out of your degree? Empyrean24 36 5,625 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Learn Mandarin? mrs.b 10 2,536 02-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Learn a Language LaterBloomer 2 849 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Last Post: OE800_85
  For those who need language practice... burbuja0512 2 744 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer