Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which school and degree is right for me?
I've also taken numerous courses that don't have exams but that I have certificates of completion from if those matter.   
Hello everyone,

I've read thru several threads and discussions here (great information, BTW!) and now I'm to the point to ask the question 'which school and which degree?'.  It seems like TESU or WGU might be a good fit, but I'd like to ask the experts here.

I've worked in IT my entire career (I'm a bit long in the tooth), mostly data and databases as well as cybersecurity (related to databases) and have several certifications.  I've looked at TESU's cybersecurity or data analytics and WGU's cybersecurity or data management - but I am open to any and all options.  My main criteria is I'd like to get my Bachelor degree as quickly as possible. 

I live in Missouri, so TESU is out of state.  I believe WGU has a Missouri school, so it may have in-state tuition.

I've attached a Excel file with all my (unofficial) course list and credits.  I've also taken numerous courses that don't have exams that I have certificates of completion from if those matter.     

Thank you for any and all help.
Thoughts?  questions?

Attached Files
.xlsx   credits.xlsx (Size: 9.53 KB / Downloads: 10)
Quote:I believe WGU has a Missouri school, so it may have in-state tuition.

WGU has the same tuition regardless of what state you live in.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I can't tell which ones of these are schools that are Regionally Accredited, and which are just places you took courses/certs that aren't available to get credit (not sure what SMARTS is, nor School of Computer Technology). Otherwise I could help more.

First, you need to figure out the degrees better. The ones you listed are pretty different from each other, so you need to nail that down better.

Second, TESU won't take certs, so if they're current (less than 5 years old), then WGU is a better option for you if you want to bring those over. If they are older than 5 years old, then WGU won't take them at all, but you may end up getting them again if you go through WGU.

Third, both TESU degrees you listed are not able to be tested out of. You can do the Gen Ed's, but not the Area of Study. So that will make them more expensive than other degrees. The Data Analytics degree is a decent price, as you do the AOS courses through Statistics.com, but they are offered in a certain order, and it will take over a year to get through the requirements.

WGU is probably a better option for IT than TESU, as you can bring in all of the Gen Ed's as well as many Major courses, and then take the remainder for a flat ~ $3000 tuition per 6 month term. If you set it up right, you can bring in the right credits to be able to finish in just 1 term. We can help you with that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Schools:
I think they're all regionally accredited; however, I'm not certain.  Kaplan University and Phoenix University say they're regionally accredited by the higher learning Commission.  SMARTS was the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript which is now known as Joint Service Transcripts (JST) and is recognized by the American Council of Education (ACE).  Rockhurst University is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  The School of Computer Technology was bought or consumed (not sure of proper term) by the International Academy of Technology & Design (IADT) of Pittsburgh, which was absorbed by the Pittsburgh Career Institute - which says it's accredited by ACICS.

certifications - some of my certifications are older than 5 years.  the CISSP is within 5 years.

degree - I'm not set on either of these degrees.  I just chose those ones as they're closely related to my career and I thought a lot of my knowledge would help with PLA or CLEPs (or other tests).  I'm not set on any of these degrees.  My biggest desire is to get any Bachelor degree  as quickly as possible.  I'm hoping to test out of as many credits as possible and do everything online if possible.

again - thank you for the help with this.  It can get somewhat confusing trying to figure all this out.
Your best bet is with WGU as they will take the Nationally Accredited credits. TESU will not take your computer courses through any ACICS school (they've also lost USDOE national accreditor status). https://www.ice.gov/sevis/acics-loss-acc...ecognition

However, because it's still recognized by CHEA as Nationally Accredited, it'll transfer to WGU hopefully. I would use Straighterline/Study.com or the cheap providers to get any credits needed BEFORE you enroll at WGU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks BJCheung.

How would I know which courses to take thru Straighterline, study.com, or other sources to get the most credits applied towards one of the degrees? 

Also, should I consider other degrees rather than IT-related; would any other ones be any quicker or simpler?  Again, I just thought about IT because I have so much knowledge in this area that it might help reduce the timeline and cost.

I'm also open to other schools if they'd be a better fit.
(11-07-2017, 02:12 PM)chipD Wrote: How would I know which courses to take thru Straighterline...

This page might help...

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,618 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd