Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whittled my choices down. TESC: 3 different Bachelors
So I think I am starting to get the hang of this all! I have spent the day looking at the TESC major requirements and read up on FAFSA. Next I will review what ALEKS and IC is.

You can see the breakdown of my credits within my signature. TESC is the most affordable for me and only about 55 minutes outside of the city that I live in. Smile

I was between COSC and TESC, but I'm now just about positive I will go with TESC as I am unsure when I will have the time and money to go back for my Masters, so I need a more specialized major to give me a competitive edge in the city that I am in.

Due to my background, I whittled down my 3 choices of Bachelors degrees in the following majors:

1) Bachelors of Science in Business Administration, Hospital Healthcare Administration: Thomas Edison State College | BSBA in Hospital Healthcare Administration Credit Distribution

2) Bachelors of Arts in Natural Sciences and Mathematics:Thomas Edison State College | BA in Mathematics Credit Distribution

3) Bachelors of Arts in Biology:Thomas Edison State College | BA in Biology Credit Distribution

Here's where I am stuck. If you will note the "Free Electives" for each, the Business Administration major only accepts 6. In reading my signature, you will see that I have 21 nursing credits and those are what would count as my free electives. I sort of would hate to think that only 6 would be accepted. The other two majors accept 27 "FREE" electives. Please understand that, quite frankly, time and money is an issue for me and considering that all 3 degrees are decent, IMO, I am just asking for some honest feedback. Could never hurt right?

So here's what it whittles down to. Soooooo many people have a Business Admin. degree, but I was interested in it because it just seemed to be something versatile and solid.

Between a Bachelors of Arts in Biology OR Natural Sciences/Mathematics, BOTH majors will accept 27 free electives. Now that is very appealing. I would be lying if I said it wasn't.

I'm not bad at math. In fact, I'm usually at the top of my class when I take a math course. Problem is, I haven't taken any TRULY advanced level Math courses and I'm a little afraid, of course. I'm also wondering why these two degrees are considered a Bachelors of Arts instead of Science.

Just throwing everything up in the air. I have come a long way in the last week and a half. I now know which college I want to attend and a handful of degrees that I am deciding on.

The only reason I crossed COSC is due to not being able to actually major. With that being said, I think COSC is a great option, but for my life timeline, I may not be able to go back to grad school right away and major in something specialized, so I am counting on making the most of my Bachelors and things are just so competitive.

I'm assuming when employers verify your education that a COSC transcript says nothing about a major or concentration..if I am correct. If it lists a concentration, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to reconsider it again..I just don't like the idea of being forced to do this thing called a capstone lol.

My end career choices would include: Human Resources Manager, Financial Assistant, Executive Administrative Assistant, Office Manager, Actuarial Assistant (etc.), College Professor and pretty much anything that is government or energy/utility. I'll add more to the list in a few moments if possible. I'm not so much picky in my career as I view my REAL career being able to save a LOT in my bank account and eventually just work for myself in real estate, stocks, notary services, owning my own small business, etc. What I'm looking for is a somewhat stable field that has halfway reasonable workplace conditions. I'll be ultra blunt in saying that I'm mainly concerned with a steady paycheck. I'll never be truly happy in life until I am working directly for myself, so the main goal for now is to be steadily employed with a solid paycheck coming my way. Hey, I'm being totally honest.

cheersmate
If you aren't sure that you can handle upper level undegrad math, what makes you think you can be an actuarial assistant?

I would forget about a BA in Biology from TESC since it would require eight credits each of physics and organic chemistry in addition to 33 credits worth of biology courses unless you plan on going to grad school for biology. If you want, you can avoid math altogether in the Nat Sci/Math Area of Study, although I would personally feel ashamed to do that. Most of the professions you mention above would seem to require a business degree- I'd recommend accounting if you want a steady paycheck.
Yenisei Wrote:If you aren't sure that you can handle upper level undegrad math, what makes you think you can be an actuarial assistant?

I would forget about a BA in Biology from TESC since it would require eight credits each of physics and organic chemistry in addition to 33 credits worth of biology courses unless you plan on going to grad school for biology. If you want, you can avoid math altogether in the Nat Sci/Math Area of Study, although I would personally feel ashamed to do that. Most of the professions you mention above would seem to require a business degree- I'd recommend accounting if you want a steady paycheck.

Well we all have to start somewhere don't we? Are Doctors sure they can handle all of their medical classes? No, because they have never been to med school before. Same would go for me. You're never really sure what you can handle until you actually try it and so far, I have had no reason to complete upper level math classes.

I didn't realize you could get away with that (re: Natural Science/Math degree) and I probably wouldn't feel too ashamed lol. I see where you're coming from, though, but I'm just trying to work. None of this is a forever sort of thing for me.

I'm actually surprised you recommended Accounting because I thought that was just as difficult as Math. Some people have ventured to say it's more difficult.

I'm going to keep researching. Thanks for your reply.
Accounting is like learning a whole new language. Some people have it and some people don't. There is nothing wrong with the Natural Science and Math degree at TESC. Several people on the forum have that degree and they could not have got into their current job with out that degree.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Quote:Here's where I am stuck. If you will note the "Free Electives" for each, the Business Administration major only accepts 6. In reading my signature, you will see that I have 21 nursing credits and those are what would count as my free electives. I sort of would hate to think that only 6 would be accepted. The other two majors accept 27 "FREE" electives.

Only 6 free electives are allowed because the BSBA with concentration requires more credits (54) specific to the program...27 in the business core, 18 in the concentration and 9 business electives

as opposed to only 33 credits for the core in the Biology and/or Nat Science program

You aren't losing your former nursing credits....you are gaining more business credits hilarious

Besides you haven't yet refined the justification you are going to lay on a prospective employer.

Is the Biology or Nat Science going to win you a job? I don't know.

Is telling a potential employer you can run circles around all the other employees because of your awesome business acumen and nursing experience (see you didn't lose anything), thus saving his company oodles of money while growing sales and business processes exponentially? Maybe

Whatever direction you pick, learn the material and make it count.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:Only 6 free electives are allowed because the BSBA with concentration requires more credits (54) specific to the program...27 in the business core, 18 in the concentration and 9 business electives

as opposed to only 33 credits for the core in the Biology and/or Nat Science program

You aren't losing your former nursing credits....you are gaining more business credits hilarious

Besides you haven't yet refined the justification you are going to lay on a prospective employer.

Is telling a potential employer you can run circles around all the other employees because of your awesome business acumen and nursing experience (see you didn't lose anything), thus saving his company oodles of money while growing sales and business processes exponentially? Maybe

Well said Geezer as always! :hurray:

I would do a science and a business degree.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
alleycat Wrote:Accounting is like learning a whole new language. Some people have it and some people don't. There is nothing wrong with the Natural Science and Math degree at TESC. Several people on the forum have that degree and they could not have got into their current job with out that degree.

Thanks for the encouragement Alleycat! I guess I will just have to see how good my math skills are!
Geezer Wrote:Only 6 free electives are allowed because the BSBA with concentration requires more credits (54) specific to the program...27 in the business core, 18 in the concentration and 9 business electives

DANGIT! You have a really good point. :iagree:

I need to reprogram my brain and not look at it as though I'm "losing" 15 nursing credits (because they definitely will not fit in anywhere but free electives), but that I am gaining what you said.

I just don't know if Business Admin. will help me that much more than Natural Sciences and Mathematics, because I know employers say that seeing any kind of Math major impresses them.

I feel Business is a solid degree, but working in an agency, I can tell you it feels like over 70% of our applicants hold Business Admin. degrees. :leaving: I guess that's why I am having a hard time deciding. Thanks so much for the awesome advice. Something for me to sit and think about.

I have now whittled it down to TWO degrees I believe...Confusedeeya:
However I'm looking at some of those Business Admin. courses and they look like they're going to be more difficult than Math....I guess I should admit I'm a little afraid...I just don't want to fail. I passed nursing school and I do well on exams..suppose I have a fear of the unknown. I'm probably being irrational.
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:However I'm looking at some of those Business Admin. courses and they look like they're going to be more difficult than Math....I guess I should admit I'm a little afraid...I just don't want to fail. I passed nursing school and I do well on exams..suppose I have a fear of the unknown. I'm probably being irrational.

I found business course to be interesting, not to hard, and not overly time consuming like many of the other types of classes I have taken. Being afraid is okay. Just don't let your fear stop you from your goal. Getting your degree.

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,673 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,190 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Need some help please with TESU undergrad certificate choices lady elektra 12 4,135 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,459 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,206 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tesu Psychology Bachelors rixbae 2 1,193 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Transcript retention & 2nd Bachelors ajs1976a 7 1,688 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212
Heart TESU Bachelors Degree (REL, HIS, PSY, ENG) Assistance Request warriortaupou 8 2,351 01-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,367 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77