Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whittled my choices down. TESC: 3 different Bachelors
Thanks you guys! So encouraging. So I definitely want to go for my BA in Natural Science and Mathematics and I'm trying to figure out how I can double major in Spanish as well :-).
TESC has a BA in Foreign Languages, but I don't know if you have to take classes in more than one foreign language, and, yes, you can double major.
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Thanks you guys! So encouraging. So I definitely want to go for my BA in Natural Science and Mathematics and I'm trying to figure out how I can double major in Spanish as well :-).

I wanted asked my advisor about the Spanish major and ruled it out because of the entire major, there are no tests other than the CLEP. Well... yes there are other tests such as the AP exam, but all of the tests duplicate each other.

It's still a great option and obviously TESC is still a great choice for it due to the fact that you could test out of everything other than your major, but you're looking at probably at least a year of Spanish classes for that. I don't mean language classes, I don't remember exactly what they were but stuff like Spanish Literature and culture.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Thanks you guys. I guess I am confused. I thought I was going to be able to test out of EVERYTHING period. I didn't plan on actually attending a single class for either major....:confused:

TGIF
cheersmate
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Thanks you guys. I guess I am confused. I thought I was going to be able to test out of EVERYTHING period. I didn't plan on actually attending a single class for either major....:confused:

TGIF
cheersmate

Yes, this is confusing. My take on it is this: CLEP and Dantes are here to make money. They won't spend the resources on creating and maintaining a test that a lot of people don't take. So you can get a common degree like psych or business or liberal arts through testing because between CLEP, Dantes, ECE, TECEP, etc, there are enough UL and LL tests in a given subject to test out of each topic required within a specific major. For less common majors like Spanish, there just aren't the tests created to help you graduate through testing.

So.. what I mean is that if you're required to take Iberian Culture and Civilization. I'm sure that you would be fully capable of learning about this on your own. Problem is that there is no such test. For Spanish you have AP Spanish & Spanish Lit, CLEP, and maybe one or two others that I've seen posted on this board, but definitely not enough to rack up over 30 Spanish credits.

I'm sorry this is difficult. Sad I really struggled through my first few months too. This is a list from COSC, so there may be a few more from TESC, but it's their "master list" of tests. It may not tell you everything that's out there, but it will give you a good idea of most of the tests that you can take. http://www.charteroak.edu/Current/Academ...r-list.pdf
The key to remember when looking at this list is that if you can't pull together enough tests in a subject to major in it, you probably can't test out of it.

Sorry for the bad news.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
So that master list is basically a lot of common tests available? I was looking at that and thank you for sending it to me. If I am right..it looks like almost ALL of the things I would need to take for my Bachelor of Arts in Natural Sciences and Mathematics are on there.
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:So that master list is basically a lot of common tests available? I was looking at that and thank you for sending it to me. If I am right..it looks like almost ALL of the things I would need to take for my Bachelor of Arts in Natural Sciences and Mathematics are on there.

Here's what you need to know- at TESC you can use a test or class for any credit required. No stipulations as long as it's regionally accredited and fits into the credit distribution of your degree. It's up to you to locate the credit source. On this board, you'll find access to testing info easily, because that's pretty much the focus of this forum. There are other forums on the internet that help with other things, like finding classes- but overall this is a great resource. For something "outside the scope" of this board, you might be able to ask elsewhere. (like on the other board which shall not be named)

I can tell you for certain, that the NY exam awards 18 credits for a passing score, what quantity are upper level I don't know (no more than 6 for sure). The CLEP is 12 lower level credits and will duplicate all of the lower credits of that test, so you wouldn't be able to take both exams. Where you'd get the upper level Spanish is anyone's guess. It'll be classes though. And you'll have to track down a school that will a) let you enroll as a non-degree seeker b) accepts your exam as meeting the prereqs c) works for your time/budget.

Also know that you can't earn a degree using only lower level credit, and MOST testing credit is lower level. So, one way or the other, you need upper level credit (no less than 18 credits).
Well I guess by putting the Spanish thing into the mix I'm just getting into cold waters and I'm not interested in making it difficult for myself haha Smile. Honestly just want to finish my Bachelors. I've muddled around too long and just want myself a darn Bachelors and the whole Bachelor of Arts in Natural Sciences and Mathematics seemed reasonably solid to me.

Now that we are on that.........I'm looking at ESC-SUNY :-p. I just read that they are generous in accepting transfer credits Smile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,668 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,190 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Need some help please with TESU undergrad certificate choices lady elektra 12 4,135 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,458 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,204 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tesu Psychology Bachelors rixbae 2 1,193 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Transcript retention & 2nd Bachelors ajs1976a 7 1,688 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212
Heart TESU Bachelors Degree (REL, HIS, PSY, ENG) Assistance Request warriortaupou 8 2,350 01-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,994 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,367 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77