Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't I know Armed Forces DNA Collection is mandatory?
I don't even remember them taking my DNA or even informing me that they were taking my DNA and storing it somewhere.

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics...A_mil.html
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:I don't even remember them taking my DNA or even informing me that they were taking my DNA and storing it somewhere.

It's to ID you in case you're a casualty etc. It's a manadatory requirement, my sample was taken in Reception during the shot line up.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
They collected our DNA in a lineup in the late 90's when I was active duty Air Force.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Don't ask, don't tell
Yep, they collected mine in 1996.
Get this.. All you military people know forms are filled out using what? BLACK INK PEN.
Guess what they made us use? Pencil!

Hows that for conspiracy?

And defscarlett.. you can't actually believe that's the only reason they take a sample, right?

UptonSinclair Wrote:They collected our DNA in a lineup in the late 90's when I was active duty Air Force.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
scorched Wrote:Yep, they collected mine in 1996.
Get this.. All you military people know forms are filled out using what? BLACK INK PEN.
Guess what they made us use? Pencil!

Hows that for conspiracy?

And defscarlett.. you can't actually believe that's the only reason they take a sample, right?

I hope not. It was clear where this was going from the beginning. And I'm sure even the repository is only a small piece of what they do with our DNA.

As its name suggests, the DNA Repository was initially conceived solely to identify the remains of service members. However, a small entry in the huge 2003 National Defense Authorization Act, “signed by President Bush on December 2, 2002, overrides Pentagon policy that the DNA samples be used almost solely to identity troops killed in combat,” and allows access to the Repository for law enforcement purposes. The provision reads:

§ 1565a. DNA samples maintained for identification of human remains: use for law enforcement purposes

(a) Compliance with a court order.

(1) Subject to paragraph (2), if a valid order of a Federal court (or military judge) so requires, an element of the Department of Defense that maintains a repository of DNA samples for the purpose of identification of human remains shall make available, for the purpose specified in subsection (b), such DNA samples on such terms and conditions as such court (or military judge) directs.
(2) A DNA sample with respect to an individual shall be provided under paragraph
(1) in a manner that does not compromise the ability of the Department of Defense to maintain a sample with respect to that individual for the purpose of identification of human remains.

(b) Covered purpose. The purpose referred to in subsection (a) is the purpose of an investigation or prosecution of a felony, or any sexual offense, for which no other source of DNA information is reasonably available.
© Definition. In this section, the term “DNA sample” has the meaning given such term in section 1565© of this title.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:I don't even remember them taking my DNA or even informing me that they were taking my DNA and storing it somewhere.

Seems like a bit of a violation of privacy, if they took your DNA without your knowledge.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
After full completion of service (at least 8 years) you can request destruction of DNA samples or will be destroyed automatically after 50 years . DOD contractors sent to hostile environments are also required to provide samples for the registry. Please see the following link for constitutionality of DNA used for LE purposes. I would copy and paste parts of the review, but it won't allow to copy any of it.

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/DOCLIBS/MIL...nricks.pdf

I will also add that there is no expectation of privacy in the armed services.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Trump Get Impeached Twice, Kanye West and Taylor Swift. We Didn't Start the Fire. LevelUP 1 507 07-17-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Sorry, I didn't see all those PM's!!! dfrecore 1 767 04-05-2018, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Becoming a commissioned officer without joining the armed forces sanantone 2 1,151 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Last Post: dposborne
  Freaking out! My testing center didn't send my professor my final! Kaz 2 1,107 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kaz