Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does SNHU only hire in certain states?
I am figuring that someone on here probably knows the answer to this.  I am just really curious.  Why is it that SNHU can only hire for remote positions in theses states?

Southern New Hampshire University is hiring remotely in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Tax reasons. They're only set up with offices in those states and/or they're only willing to deal with tax/employment laws in those states.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
They're licensed to do business in those states. Many companies won't hire people in certain states due to the employment and tax laws. In state like mine, NY, it's VERY expensive to have employees. Those could also be states that they have openings in and not in others especially if these are enrollment counselor type positions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
Thanks. I work for a company that has headquarters in another state. One of the things that I don’t like about it is they don’t take out local taxes. We always have to pay those at the end of the year. But they do take out state taxes.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

These states are also non union states. I saw this trend quite a bit when I worked at Kaplan, they would only hire full time remote employees in non union states.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 2 users Like sacredrain's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Vle045
(04-20-2022, 07:53 AM)sacredrain Wrote: These states are also non union states. I saw this trend quite a bit when I worked at Kaplan, they would only hire full time remote employees in non union states.

Oh really?   That is interesting.  I didn’t even know that was a *thing*.  At one point in my life, I was a non-union person.  Unions seemed to work against me personally.  I had an “abusive” teacher when I was a kid and when my mom would complain, she was told crap like “well, he has tenure, soo….”    But I think most of the crap he pulled would NOT fly today.  (And it shouldn’t have in the 80’s either).

But then more recently, I had some work issues that probably could have been solved with a union.  Instead, I just found a new job and quit when my issues couldn’t be resolved.  (They were breaking the law, and I probably could have sued, but the potential fall-out wasn’t worth the risk)
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(04-20-2022, 08:58 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 07:53 AM)sacredrain Wrote: These states are also non union states. I saw this trend quite a bit when I worked at Kaplan, they would only hire full time remote employees in non union states.

Oh really?   That is interesting.  I didn’t even know that was a *thing*.  At one point in my life, I was a non-union person.  Unions seemed to work against me personally.  I had an “abusive” teacher when I was a kid and when my mom would complain, she was told crap like “well, he has tenure, soo….”    But I think most of the crap he pulled would NOT fly today.  (And it shouldn’t have in the 80’s either).

But then more recently, I had some work issues that probably could have been solved with a union.  Instead, I just found a new job and quit when my issues couldn’t be resolved.  (They were breaking the law, and I probably could have sued, but the potential fall-out wasn’t worth the risk)
In some states, even adjuncts are unionized and have access to health care benefits. I have picked up much adjunct work and contract work from California, Washington, and Oregon; due to being in North Carolina which is a non union state. Two of my west coast adjunct employers have actually stated they specifically seek adjuncts from the southern US to avoid union red tape.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
Thank you for sharing that information. I wonder if people in union states could sign something that says they won’t unionize or something like that. I’m in a union state and I know most of the charter schools around here do NOT have unions even though the public and private do. It’s sometimes a hot button topic on both sides.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

@sacredrain, thanks for the information. You learn something new everyday. I didn't know it was because of the unions... some hate them, some love them.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

There are several New England states listed and they are union states so I'm not sure about the list being non union. There are over 1200 labor unions in Massachusetts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 934 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,618 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,021 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 5,529 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,687 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 978 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,236 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SNHU Free Elective Suggestion chipNdale2077 4 2,291 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Max Sophia credits for SNHU eviliphone63 9 3,430 10-02-2022, 11:43 AM
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,352 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786