Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESC accept a "D" in intermediate Algebra
I took intermediate algebra years ago and saw that I made a "D". I have read that TESC will accept intermediate algebra but will they accept a Grade of D.
jayboy Wrote:I took intermediate algebra years ago and saw that I made a "D". I have read that TESC will accept intermediate algebra but will they accept a Grade of D.

In the General Ed Requirements they should take a D in anything that isn't College Composition as long as it doesn't bring your GPA below 2.0 (C average required to graduate). The spots where the C or better is needed should be marked on your evaluation as well.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
TESC will accept intermediate algebra with a "D" but it will be counted as General Education credit and not fulfill a math requirement.
MBA - Western Governors 2019
BSBA - TESC 2014

CLEP/DSST:  Principles of Management 69 | Human Resource Management 64 | Introduction to Computing 466 | Principles of Marketing 67 | Organizational Behavior 61 | Management Information Systems 466 | Principles of Supervision 437 | Introduction to Business 434 | Business Ethics and Society 431 | Introductory Business Law 56 | Macroeconomics 54 | American Government 59 | Money & Banking 52 | English Composition

Straighterline:  Accounting I (89%) | Accounting II (75%) | Financial Accounting (82.5%) | Managerial Accounting (86.7%) | Business Communications (84%) | Microeconomics (87%) | Religions of the World (88.5%) | Organizational Behavior (93%)

Penn Foster: Finance (89%) | Strategic Business Management (97%)

ALEKS:  College Algebra (78%)
koenigtv Wrote:TESC will accept intermediate algebra with a "D" but it will be counted as General Education credit and not fulfill a math requirement.

It will fill the math requirement though, here is the policy found in the college catalog on page 193 (see http://www.tesc.edu/documents/College_Catalog.pdf):

Policy on D Grades

Students may transfer in or apply Thomas Edison State College
course grades of D to their non area of study requirements as
long as their overall grade point average is at least a 2.0 or
higher, as determined by the School in which they are enrolled,
with the following exceptions:
> all area of study courses must be graded C or better
in order to apply to area of study requirements; and
> all required composition courses must be graded C or
better.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I sure hope you're right. I hate math and took this intermediate algebra course 20 years ago. Struggled to make a D. It reads that way and my GPA is high enough. I wonder if anyone else has taken intermediate algebra and got it accepted at TESC with a D.
Will they accept a course that is 20 years old is another question.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Charter oak accepted it but not as a math requirement. They accepted under libertal arts req for BS along with my history, english, etc...
Math courses never expire at TESC, and they will accept the grade of D in transfer. According to the written policy, it should be an acceptable transfer credit to meet the gen ed math requirement. Also, the "D" is not brought with it, only the credit, so it will not be part of your TESC GPA.

If they do not accept it, please press the issue and ask for clarification, since the policy says otherwise.

Finally, if you end up needing math credit, an entirely painless way will be through the completion of the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra course, done at home on your own computer without time restraints. Many people can complete this 3 credit course in 1 month, for a cost of only $20.
cookderosa Wrote:Math courses never expire at TESC, and they will accept the grade of D in transfer. According to the written policy, it should be an acceptable transfer credit to meet the gen ed math requirement. Also, the "D" is not brought with it, only the credit, so it will not be part of your TESC GPA.

If they do not accept it, please press the issue and ask for clarification, since the policy says otherwise.

Finally, if you end up needing math credit, an entirely painless way will be through the completion of the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra course, done at home on your own computer without time restraints. Many people can complete this 3 credit course in 1 month, for a cost of only $20.

Maybe it depends on the degree program. I got a "C" in intermediate algebra and its counted with TESC under my general education requirements as the BSBA requires algebra or quantitative business analysis as a math requirement.

I had at least 30 credits that were 20 years old and TESC accepted them.
MBA - Western Governors 2019
BSBA - TESC 2014

CLEP/DSST:  Principles of Management 69 | Human Resource Management 64 | Introduction to Computing 466 | Principles of Marketing 67 | Organizational Behavior 61 | Management Information Systems 466 | Principles of Supervision 437 | Introduction to Business 434 | Business Ethics and Society 431 | Introductory Business Law 56 | Macroeconomics 54 | American Government 59 | Money & Banking 52 | English Composition

Straighterline:  Accounting I (89%) | Accounting II (75%) | Financial Accounting (82.5%) | Managerial Accounting (86.7%) | Business Communications (84%) | Microeconomics (87%) | Religions of the World (88.5%) | Organizational Behavior (93%)

Penn Foster: Finance (89%) | Strategic Business Management (97%)

ALEKS:  College Algebra (78%)
koenigtv Wrote:Maybe it depends on the degree program. I got a "C" in intermediate algebra and its counted with TESC under my general education requirements as the BSBA requires algebra or quantitative business analysis as a math requirement.

I had at least 30 credits that were 20 years old and TESC accepted them.

Yeah, for business and most of the STEM programs, college algebra or higher will be required. For humanities and social science programs, intermediate algebra is acceptable.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,058 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,691 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,613 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,100 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,053 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99
  Will TESU accept both ENS-200 and ENS-201? Merlin 2 982 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,160 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill