Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How fast (in how many days) can you realistically finish Sophia, etc. or WGU course?
Hi, I'm kind of new here.

I was wondering which classes should you do at Straighter Line, Study.com, Sophia and stuff like that, and which ones should you do at WGU?

I want to make my IT degree as easy as possible, and maybe also as fast as possible.

If the cost is low that would be good too, but I don't really care about how much this is going to end up costing, WGU and all the stuff I mentioned above seem pretty cheap as it is.

I have some idea but I'm not 100% sure. If someone can list all the courses and which ones to do where, to make the degree the easiest, that would really help. Thank you.
Which one has open book tests or no tests at all? Which one is easiest?
Easiest is always relative, but Sophia has open book/note exams and is unproctored. And it's the cheapest of the three.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, indigoshuffle, ss20ts, whiverem
Sophia is 100% open book. Some StraighterLine exams are open book (but you sometimes have to fight with the proctors about this). No Study.com exams are open book.

That said, between SDC and SL, SDC is probably easier for MOST courses due to the way the points are allocated.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • housecat, whiverem
(08-11-2022, 11:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Sophia is 100% open book. Some StraighterLine exams are open book (but you sometimes have to fight with the proctors about this). No Study.com exams are open book.

That said, between SDC and SL, SDC is probably easier for MOST courses due to the way the points are allocated.

Umm how do I find out which SL courses are open book?

(08-11-2022, 11:31 AM)jsd Wrote: Easiest is always relative, but Sophia has open book/note exams and is unproctored. And it's the cheapest of the three.

Sophia seems like the easiest for me too. Thanks so much for this information.
There is a list of which courses are open book and not here: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/ As already stated, sometimes the proctors aren't made aware that the exam is open book, so you have to be ready to argue.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • whiverem
(08-11-2022, 12:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There is a list of which courses are open book and not here: https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/ As already stated, sometimes the proctors aren't made aware that the exam is open book, so you have to be ready to argue.

Okay, thank ya. I'm glad you told me this.
For me, it's Sophia > Study.com > StraighterLine. There are a few things you should do, 1) Decide on the degree so you know the requirements, you just mentioned WGU IT and they have several. 2) Create a spreadsheet of the requirements and view National partners.wgu.edu, from there, select Sophia.org, Study.com, StraighterLine, and anything else you are interested in, then input as many courses that go towards that degree 3) On my signature, there is a "plans" link, select the IT plan template and compare with yours 4) Upload your "homework" and we'll see if something is missing.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For me, it's Sophia > Study.com > StraighterLine. There are a few things you should do, 1) Decide on the degree so you know the requirements, you just mentioned WGU IT and they have several. 2) Create a spreadsheet of the requirements and view National partners.wgu.edu, from there, select Sophia.org, Study.com, StraighterLine, and anything else you are interested in, then input as many courses that go towards that degree 3) On my signature, there is a "plans" link, select the IT plan template and compare with yours 4) Upload your "homework" and we'll see if something is missing.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680, ISKBizz15, whiverem
In addition to the excellent advice already given, join the discord! https://discord.com/invite/unwgu Read everything that applies in the #faq channel.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • indigoshuffle, ISKBizz15, whiverem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,201 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
Sad Struggling to finish angellicarob 3 636 10-26-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia Learning vs. Study.com BrotherG 8 1,397 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 943 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Do you have to be super smart to finish WGU? What can you do to eliminate any doubts whiverem 30 6,144 05-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,592 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU - faster to just do it all there - or - Sophia/Study.com???? esh 19 13,539 08-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,083 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Information List of Courses That Transfer from Sophia.org to WGU BitWiseGuy 20 19,968 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term bjcheung77 26 11,953 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM