Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet, another question!
I swear I feel like I'm asking a new question every hour, but the advice here is so great, I can't help it!

I'm enrolled with the Comp tuition plan using FA at TESC.
The way FA works at TESC is that TESC is paid first, remaining funds distributed later, which in my case occurs after the 2nd semester that I am enrolled, which is a small amount. However in 3rd and 4th semester, I would get the full amount.

Currently I'm taking 9 credits via guided study as it was my plan to maximize the comp plan and take the full 36 credits, 9 per 4 semesters.
After filling in some of my degree plan with my recent straighterline courses, the only classes that I need are:
3 credits chemistry - planned via CLEP (lack 3, will earn 6) as back up could earn 3 via TESC
3 credits computer requirement - TESC?
6 credits organic / biochem - Oregon SU or UNE (OSU cheaper @ $1488 for 6 credits)
3 credits Current trends req. by TESC - TESC

In essence I need 6 more credits via the FA, plus the overage to pay for the organic chem class, but being that I don't want to waste the "21 freebie credits." I'm not sure what to take and how to plan it, because it is my understanding once I "earn" the BS, aid stops - or at least Pell. I've considered doing the dual concentration and am considering the BS to MS Clinical trials where I can take 9 credits, but not sure if I want to prolong my BS degree. I'd rather be done with it or have BS and grad certificate. My ultimate goal, 1 year ago was to finish the BS, now I feel like I'm reaching further (which is okay), but I want to accomplish the BS and have something to show.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can maximize my plan, graduate ASAP (in least time) and still utilize the FA and most if not all 36 credits?
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
hkhart Wrote:I swear I feel like I'm asking a new question every hour, but the advice here is so great, I can't help it!

I'm enrolled with the Comp tuition plan using FA at TESC.
The way FA works at TESC is that TESC is paid first, remaining funds distributed later, which in my case occurs after the 2nd semester that I am enrolled, which is a small amount. However in 3rd and 4th semester, I would get the full amount.

Currently I'm taking 9 credits via guided study as it was my plan to maximize the comp plan and take the full 36 credits, 9 per 4 semesters.
After filling in some of my degree plan with my recent straighterline courses, the only classes that I need are:
3 credits chemistry - planned via CLEP (lack 3, will earn 6) as back up could earn 3 via TESC
3 credits computer requirement - TESC?
6 credits organic / biochem - Oregon SU or UNE (OSU cheaper @ $1488 for 6 credits)
3 credits Current trends req. by TESC - TESC

In essence I need 6 more credits via the FA, plus the overage to pay for the organic chem class, but being that I don't want to waste the "21 freebie credits." I'm not sure what to take and how to plan it, because it is my understanding once I "earn" the BS, aid stops - or at least Pell. I've considered doing the dual concentration and am considering the BS to MS Clinical trials where I can take 9 credits, but not sure if I want to prolong my BS degree. I'd rather be done with it or have BS and grad certificate. My ultimate goal, 1 year ago was to finish the BS, now I feel like I'm reaching further (which is okay), but I want to accomplish the BS and have something to show.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can maximize my plan, graduate ASAP (in least time) and still utilize the FA and most if not all 36 credits?

Here's the thing - that 3rd and 4th term reimbursement may seem like a lovely check to receive, and it will be right now, but please keep in mind that it's a loan. You're going to pay it back, plus interest, in good time. If you can complete all your credits in just terms one and two, then graduate without taking the disbursements for terms three and four, that's money you're not going to pay interest on and repay. It's roughly half the payment when you do start repaying.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that you can change your enrollment plan even after you're enrolled. You'd need to call the Bursar for details, but it might have been in the Bursar section of the help desk knowledge database? I'm certain I've seen it somewhere. If you take only the six credits required at TESC, change your enrollment plan, you'd have to run the numbers, but you may get enough of a disbursement in the second term (taking into account what was already disbursed in the first term to cover the Comp Tuition) to pay for that course you need...if it isn't available for less elsewhere.

Those are just a few thoughts, basically summed up by "less debt is better." And congratulations on being so close and figuring out how to make it go faster!
@mrs. b - Unfortunately, I understand the loan part too well (still paying on a student loan from 10+ years ago), plus have been reading the thread here where the young fellow is wanting to take the $25,000 loan (yikes!) I actually have a spreadsheet set up that I plugged everything into, that if I switched tuition plans and only used worse case of 18 credits (9 enrolled, 6 needed for sure and 3 maybe) I'd be saving $850. I'd still have to come up with $1500 or $2800 for organic/biochem and as a single mom, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't need the financial aid. I can only somewhat justify it as I am investing in myself (and my daughters) future, as well as the loan is at more reasonable rate than I could procure elsewhere.
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
hkhart Wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can maximize my plan, graduate ASAP (in least time) and still utilize the FA and most if not all 36 credits?

Hhart, would it be cheaper to take org/bio chem at your local community college? Not much cheaper I'm sure, but there may be some savings.

I have an idea on FA/Compreh Plan -- first call the bursars office and find out if through the bachelors to masters program the credits for those courses can be deducted from your comprehensive plan. Now that they are offering the masters courses at the same price as the bachelors they may allow it. If so, you can hold out on graduating for six-nine months and start collecting credits for your masters and possibly second bachelors.

For example complete the necessary credits for the BSBST in the first two semesters. This way if you should change your mind, you can still apply for graduation after completing the second semester. Then for 3rd and 4th semester take graduate courses for the cert (need bachelors to masters approval) with Tecep or epack. It will still equal six/+ credits and your FA payment for the quarter will payout.

Sem 1: 9 crs – current semester
Sem 2: 6/9 crs - TESC CIS107 + Current Trends + (opt 1x Tecep)
Sem 3: 6 crs - TESC 2x grad courses
Sem 4: 12 crs - TESC 1x grad course + SOS110 + 2x tecep/epack (you can always drop SOS110 anytime after 2mos and be within the rules of FA)
Total: 33/36 crs

For the teceps use any courses that can be applied towards the second bachelors or anything that you have an interest in. But, since you have already invested in the comprehensive tuition (I did the same) use it to your advantage. Even if you should graduate with your BSAST at the end of semester three, you would lose the pell payout for semester four but still receive the remaining loan and still have time to earn credits for the second bachelors through testing and teceps to graduate with the second bachelors at the end of semester four. They already give a month (sometimes two) grace period until the next graduation cycle. But you would still be enrolled by taking the final course for your grad cert in semester five. Grad courses do not require an annual enrollment fee its registration only. So you would be good to take just that final course and you’re finished. The true reward would be if they allow the masters courses to be paid through your comprehensive tuition you have more than recouped the loss of the final pell payout with those three grad courses.

Hope you can follow my ramblings. You would have to plan it out just right because the credits for the second bachelors need to be 18 NEW in the area of study after conferral date of degree #1. You would still be enrolled in semester five for the graduate certificate so that will protect you from having to pay an additional year’s enrollment fee if the teceps or clep/dsst exams take a bit longer to complete. I’m sure with good planning you can knock this out. I would have tried to do the same but at the time they were not offering the masters courses at the same cost as bachelors.

Good luck!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
hkhart Wrote:@mrs. b - Unfortunately, I understand the loan part too well (still paying on a student loan from 10+ years ago), plus have been reading the thread here where the young fellow is wanting to take the $25,000 loan (yikes!) I actually have a spreadsheet set up that I plugged everything into, that if I switched tuition plans and only used worse case of 18 credits (9 enrolled, 6 needed for sure and 3 maybe) I'd be saving $850. I'd still have to come up with $1500 or $2800 for organic/biochem and as a single mom, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't need the financial aid. I can only somewhat justify it as I am investing in myself (and my daughters) future, as well as the loan is at more reasonable rate than I could procure elsewhere.

Ouch on the existing student loan, and I understand the lack of funds to pay the way; I'm on financial aid as well (although have over 50 credits, so going to use every bit of it and then some, unfortunately). Sad Sorry the previous was no help. That $1488 just seems so steep. The former post wasn't very helpful and this one probably will not either, but for the sake of "shopping" around, see attached. I started to put together a list of various schools that offer some sort of distance learning program (online, independent study, etc). I started to be detailed in noting accreditation, sorts of courses, etc. I stopped hunting at 46 when I decided to go a different route with my own program plan, but maybe it'll give a few more places to price to at least put some of that cash back in your pocket if you've got to go that route. (Please don't judge me on formatting - it was a work in progress that got dropped for the time being. Smile )

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">DL-LISTING.xls (Size: 23 KB / Downloads: 10)
Thanks mrs. b for sharing your spreadsheet! It is quite tedious to have to search so many schools for needed course work, as I'm sure you know!! Some states are really great - KY is one, whereas Indiana (where I'm at) is horrible! Fortunately there are a lot of schools that are now joining the online bandwagon, which hopefully will create more upper level courses being available online, which one could price shop. I'd love to not have to take the organic/or biochem and save the money, however at this point the $1400 seems to be the best bargain between 2. I've found a lot of "Intro" courses, but I already have those credits and TESC says they aren't sufficient...Sad

Again, thank you for your input and help!! It is all helpful, especially knowing there are others just like me, trying to get this educational mountain conquered!
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
@bricabrac - Had to wrap my head around your post a few times, but I believe I understand what you are saying.

As I was composing my reply, I realize that this may all be a moot point! The classes I need at OSU are only available 3x year, Jan, Jun and Sep. The other program through UNE is available any time, however I need to get to 3rd semester +45 days to be issued overage in FA.

Anyway, I like your plan and appreciate your help! I'm going to keep looking for that elusive 6 credits of Organic and / or Biochemistry that has to be out there somewhere!
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
hkhart,

Sorry, it is a bit hard to understand until you speak to those departments and understand the way the FA payout system works as well as the degree conferral regulations. Does not hurt to talk to the bursar, fnancial aid, registrar and or advising as much as needed while you are trying to figure this out. You pay an annual fee, you should take advantage of those in administration. I do!

I hope it all works out to your benefit in whatever goals you choose!

PS. I recently spoke with my professional mentor who is a CMO (DO,MBA) and another superior (MD,MPH) who now works for the Agency; both gave me the thumbs up on the clinical trials management program. I know you are going for the Grad Cert but I wanted to let you know that highly respected individuals have both looked at the TESC program and approved.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,391 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,619 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,944 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,794 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,975 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,597 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201