Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clarification on "major / minor"
(07-03-2019, 06:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 11:57 AM)udi Wrote: [quote pid='291793' dateline='1562171048']
(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)udi Wrote: You don't tell people what you have a minor in generally.

Certainly you would list the minor on your resume. If you don't tell anyone, what's the point of doing it?

There are two reasons why I would not. The question was regarding referencing an associate's degree as a minor. Technically, it's different, but depending on the circle, it's more nuanced and people often say their associate's subject is their minor.

I've not actually heard of anyone doing this - ever.  Obviously, this is lying.

I worked in HR for many years, and no one has ever said they had a minor, we checked, and they didn't and it was an AA/AS.  Never.

I don't think people do this.  It's not a thing.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying, Dfrecore (and all)!

Since you bring up HR, could there any incentive (albeit very little) to having computer science (even at an assoc degree level) on a resume so that it's caught by ATS's? I know it's a very small point in the larger picture we are painting here, just trying to see it from all potential angles.

Thanks!

D Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(07-03-2019, 06:37 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)udi Wrote: You don't tell people what you have a minor in generally.

Certainly you would list the minor on your resume. If you don't tell anyone, what's the point of doing it?

There are two reasons why I would not. The question was regarding referencing an associate's degree as a minor. Technically, it's different, but depending on the circle, it's more nuanced and people often say their associate's subject is their minor.

I worked in HR for many years, and no one has ever said they had a minor, we checked, and they didn't and it was an AA/AS.  Never.

Thanks for clarifying, Dfrecore (and all)!

Since you bring up HR, could there any incentive (albeit very little) to having computer science (even at an assoc degree level) on a resume so that it's caught by ATS's? I know it's a very small point in the larger picture we are painting here, just trying to see it from all potential angles.

Thanks!

D Smile
[/quote]

Completely depends on the job you're going for.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

[/quote]

It's not lying if you think your associate's degree is your minor. It's just a mistake. I don't investigate whether minors aren't actually associate's degrees, but I have seen the mistake made and wouldn't jump to think someone was lying for doing so.
I have completed a BALS (Psych.) & ASNSM (Math). What would my major be? LS+Psych.?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(07-04-2019, 04:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: I have completed a BALS (Psych.) & ASNSM (Math). What would my major be? LS+Psych.?

Your BALS degree is a Bachelor of Arts. Your Major is in Liberal Studies. Your Concentration is in Psychology. I could see someone referring to their concentration as a Minor.

For the ASNSM, the degree is Associate of Science. The major is in Natural Science and Mathematics. Mathematics is considered an emphasis or option area for the AS degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-04-2019, 04:55 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 04:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: I have completed a BALS (Psych.) & ASNSM (Math). What would my major be? LS+Psych.?

Your BALS degree is a Bachelor of Arts. Your Major is in Liberal Studies. Your Concentration is in Psychology. I could see someone referring to their concentration as a Minor.

For the ASNSM, the degree is Associate of Science. The major is in Natural Science and Mathematics. Mathematics is considered an emphasis or option area for the AS degree.
Thanks Merlin.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(07-04-2019, 04:55 AM)Merlin Wrote:

In the case of the ASNSM, I do not think it is correct to say, Natural Science and Mathematics is the major. ASNSM is an abbreviation for the actual name of the degree conferred. The full unabbreviated name appears on the diploma. TESU does not list the AOS/major on their diplomas.

This is exactly the same as a BSBA again an abbreviation of the actual name of the degree conferred, Business Administration would likewise not be considered the AOS/major.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ken101's post:
  • Ideas
(07-03-2019, 10:52 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm curious and the internet doesn't have any info on this. 

Those of you that are pursuing BA in X with an Associates in X (like I am considering) would one declare this is as the same as when you say you have a "major in X / minor in X?" 

Thanks for clarifying!

D Smile

not the same -- minors require upper level credits  
but an associates would be all lower level 

https://www.math.lsu.edu/ugrad/requirements#minors

https://catalog.dsu.edu/preview_program....urnto=1298

as for telling people, yes, there are some combinations where you're applying for a particular job and you'd definitely want to tell about your minor

major in computer science
minor in finance 

major in biology 
minor in computer science 

major in elementary education 
minor in art (or spanish)
Ok thanks, All! Since TESU doesn’t offer minors, I wasn’t sure!

Thanks!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(07-03-2019, 10:52 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm curious and the internet doesn't have any info on this. 

Those of you that are pursuing BA in X with an Associates in X (like I am considering) would one declare this is as the same as when you say you have a "major in X / minor in X?" 

Thanks for clarifying!

D Smile

Unfortunately, there are no guidelines for what distinguishes a major, minor, concentration, area of study, or such.
Colleges and universities have their own in-house categories and names.
The easiest thing to know is that almost every bachelor's degree will have some portion of credits "in" something - roughly 25%. So, when you're looking for a degree, if you WANT a degree that offers many classes in something, make sure it offers that option (no matter what the name is).

When you graduate and list it on your resume, you'll want to do it according to your school, but know that employers aren't always super dialed in, especially to the nuances of degrees. So, they may ask for a "major" in X or Y - don't think that if yours is an "Area of Study" or "Concentration" that you're excluded. People use the term as a catch-all to mean that you took a bunch of classes in something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,529 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 369 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Amberton website (major) redesign allvia 8 747 08-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Labor Market Outcomes of College Graduates by Major by New Yotk Fed 2023 learnforlife 0 705 03-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 1,036 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Major Regret? See How These Americans Feel About Their College Degrees LevelUP 4 793 11-26-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Johann
  ROI by major and college sanantone 8 977 09-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  As an IT major, I decided not to go to any grad school nomaduser 24 1,845 05-08-2022, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Johann
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 717 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Some major "I'm done" kudos to degreeforum peeps studyingfortests 7 1,248 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests