Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from colonel to chef
I thought this was inspiring- my husband had this student in his class, he went on and on about how amazing his attitude was (he didn't know his background at the time). As class went on, he shared more and more about his background, and how he was using his GI Bill for school.... this story turned up in our paper yesterday. Smile

Starting a new life as a line cook in Charlotte | The Charlotte Observer
He seems like a really grounded, down to earth person. Good for him. But he really isn't "starting over".

A retired Army Colonel with 30 years service is pulling around $7500 p/m in retired pay, not to mention healthcare, and dental. Add another $2,000 per month for the GI Bill housing allowance and you can see why starting over isn't so difficult for him.

At my TAP class (course for transitioning veterans), the instructor gave an example of two married colonels who retired and went to Hawaii so they could go to college full time and collect the $2900 housing allowance/ each.

I wish they would limit the GI Bill to Captain (O-3) and below as a retired major doesn't really need the help. This would be similar how retired majors cant get veterans preference for federal jobs since they are actually already at an advantage. The money saved can go to ensuring this program doesn't receive austerity cuts in the future.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Considering officers have a degree already, I would be fine with the GI Bill being limited to the enlisted force.
Any Major and above who has a VA rating are a disabled Veteran and do get the Federal Veterans 10 Point preference.

Prloko Wrote:This would be similar how retired majors cant get veterans preference for federal jobs since they are actually already at an advantage. The money saved can go to ensuring this program doesn't receive austerity cuts in the future.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long, I'm well aware of this. That is an exception to the rule. I can either type a general summary, or type the entire OPM guide and EO's on veteran's preference including all the exceptions, what wars and period of service qualifies, etc. Get my drift? Your comment is detracting from the intent of my statement.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
The officer listed below deserves his education benefit. The education benefit is a military benefit not a rank benefit. He deserves to have it as much as any Soldier that I know. Heck, not knowing his real military bio he may deserve it more.:patriot:

Prloko Wrote:Life Long, I'm well aware of this. That is an exception to the rule. I can either type a general summary, or type the entire OPM guide and EO's on veteran's preference including all the exceptions, what wars and period of service qualifies, etc. Get my drift? Your comment is detracting from the intent of my statement.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Prloko Wrote:He seems like a really grounded, down to earth person. Good for him. But he really isn't "starting over".

A retired Army Colonel with 30 years service is pulling around $7500 p/m in retired pay, not to mention healthcare, and dental. Add another $2,000 per month for the GI Bill housing allowance and you can see why starting over isn't so difficult for him.

At my TAP class (course for transitioning veterans), the instructor gave an example of two married colonels who retired and went to Hawaii so they could go to college full time and collect the $2900 housing allowance/ each.

I wish they would limit the GI Bill to Captain (O-3) and below as a retired major doesn't really need the help. This would be similar how retired majors cant get veterans preference for federal jobs since they are actually already at an advantage. The money saved can go to ensuring this program doesn't receive austerity cuts in the future.

Yeah, but all that and a quarter will get you a job at the bottom of any kitchen brigade. There's only one way to climb the culinary ladder.....start peeling colonel. Smile
How about benefits prorated for every year of military service (1 to 20-years) and combat "in country" months counting triple. Those who serve the most should get the most benefit?

Prloko Wrote:I wish they would limit the GI Bill to Captain (O-3) and below as a retired major doesn't really need the help. This would be similar how retired majors cant get veterans preference for federal jobs since they are actually already at an advantage. The money saved can go to ensuring this program doesn't receive austerity cuts in the future.