Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
frustration with classes
My son is taking several courses through a community college in our state as a distance learner. I casually asked him if his work for the week was done last night, and he said there is a block on his quiz and couldn't take it- it wanted a password. As it turns out, the instructor decided to require that test be proctored on campus.

My frustration is about a 10. There is nothing in his syllabus about coming to campus for quizzes, and of course my son didn't ask permission to use a different proctor at the "start" of the week which is his fault, but the whimsy of adjunct faculty makes me crazy. My son is out of time and will take the zero, but since she doesn't open weeks of the course until the day of, neither of us can figure out if future quizzes will require proctoring and the teacher doesn't answer emails, so arranging this is going to be ridiculous.

This is why I love CLEP. Ugh.
She should give him a week to take it. It's her fault Sad

Wow, how can the teacher not answer emails? I would inform the school if there's no reasonable way to contact her and get a reply within about 2-3 days maximum?

Maybe get the school involved so she opens assignments earlier, especially proctored ones. The good teachers tell you at the start which are proctored.

Thank goodness for CLEP, ACE, TESU, etc. But I want a few more options (for grad credits, grad degrees, certs)!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa
I would definitely get the school involved, if the professor does not answer emails.  That is not acceptable!  Changing requirements mid semester is frustrating, and I have seen it with my son's online and on campus classes, but the professor needs to be available to address any issues!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(02-19-2018, 10:59 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I would definitely get the school involved, if the professor does not answer emails.  That is not acceptable!  Changing requirements mid semester is frustrating, and I have seen it with my son's online and on campus classes, but the professor needs to be available to address any issues!

Wow!  When I was young I put up with a University BS, but no more! Angry   I am taking online courses from FTCC in your state and while the Blackboard (Canvas is so much better) is quirky, but the instructor is excellent.  I am out-of-state and going to campus would be a big NO.  These days I would call the school? 

Tell your son to use "rate my professor" after the class is done.  I rate all my professors and even the colleges on that website.   90% I have given top ratings (5.0).   I research them ahead of time to weed out duds as sometimes more than one teacher teach a course.  I have given a few worst scores (1.0).  I find rate my professoruseful and generally accurate!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • mudball
I would be on the phone with the administration so fast it would make your head spin. The definition of distance learning seems to exclude the possibility of just running to the campus on a whim. The school needs to decide whether they're truly prepared to handle distance learning. If they can't cut it, there are others who will.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
My daughter was in a Sociology 101 course at a community college. You would think this guy is teaching a grad level race relations course. He too has changed direction and requirements several times, including moving up a deadline for a 3000 word essay on a book they were supposed to read. 3000 words is 12 pages. He also gave them a huge lecture at the beginning of the course about what losers they would be if they dropped his class and then told stories of people with all kinds of terrible circumstances (one had to live in their car) but they still finished the course. Red flags anyone? He also is fond of no less than 5 F-bombs per class.

She dropped it.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
I'm not really impressed by most online professors teaching at a traditional school. There seems to be zero foundational structure and the professors just treat the course as a freebie to them. Last semester I had to get the dean involved as the professor simply disappeared halfway throughout the course which was poorly outlined and the syllabus was mainly useless.

So far the online-only schools were the easiest to follow as you knew what to expect due to the uniform layout of each course.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • cookderosa, mudball
Ugh.

So, I've spent the morning emailing the advisor (as "my son" because they can't communicate with parents of course, nevermind he's a minor) and it is true that at the bottom of the first page of the syllabus it says "instructor reserves the right to require proctoring." So, there we go. Silly me for assuming they'd have the technology in place to proctor remotely. Anyway, the rub is that this is a course required for his certificate, and they won't take a transfer from another CC in my state- so frustrating. This is course #5 of 6. I'm 99% sure I'm dropping it (cough, I mean "he's dropping it") because the course opened for this week and she wants a proctored quiz again. So these aren't even EXAMS they are weekly quizzes. She thinks he's going to campus 8 more times? The first 4 were online - but she's apparently changed her mind for at least these....she won't reveal whether or not the others will be in person or online because apparently revealing that would compromise something... like the integrity of her very important 100 level course. <eye roll> Colleges are always so surprised at their retention rate, gosh, I wonder why? <heavy scarcasm>
Then you also get the voicemail of death. You call for hours and bounce from person to person until you get a voicemail that no one will ever check.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(02-19-2018, 03:43 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Ugh.

So, I've spent the morning emailing the advisor (as "my son" because they can't communicate with parents of course, nevermind he's a minor) and it is true that at the bottom of the first page of the syllabus it says "instructor reserves the right to require proctoring."  So, there we go.  Silly me for assuming they'd have the technology in place to proctor remotely.  Anyway, the rub is that this is a course required for his certificate, and they won't take a transfer from another CC in my state- so frustrating. This is course #5 of 6.   I'm 99% sure I'm dropping it (cough, I mean "he's dropping it") because the course opened for this week and she wants a proctored quiz again. So these aren't even EXAMS they are weekly quizzes.  She thinks he's going to campus 8 more times?  The first 4 were online - but she's apparently changed her mind for at least these....she won't reveal whether or not the others will be in person or online because apparently revealing that would compromise something... like the integrity of her very important 100 level course.  <eye roll>  Colleges are always so surprised at their retention rate, gosh, I wonder why?  <heavy scarcasm>

So they are requiring on-campus proctoring for a distance ed class? Sounds like an oxymoron. Makes no sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 669 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PowerBi Classes ashkir 0 352 01-25-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  onlinedegree.com free classes? ece2001biz 6 941 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any cheap of free Physical Education classes out there? mdel210201 4 860 09-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Free Non Credit Italian Classes from Wellesley College lisarox 1 546 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 2,686 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  ACE credit for culinary classes on Sur la Table Vle045 4 921 06-24-2021, 10:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish classes - Study.com bjcheung77 1 822 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM
  Classes through XAMK Open Learn wow 5 1,630 09-15-2020, 03:19 AM
  As Colleges Move Classes Online, Families Rebel Against the Cost Merlin 17 2,677 08-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster