Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hs graduate to enroll at TESC?
Ok all, I am a bit confused. Please help me sort this out and advise. My dual enrolled high school/homeschool Sophomore is ready to enroll into TESC before July 1st. She currently has 26 credit hours. She will work on 9 this summer, while also knocking out ALEKS math start to finish, sans Calc.. She is scheduled to dual enroll Macro econ, Psychology, Stats, Physics, Medieval History, and 2 upper level Literature courses next school year. We are back peddling to try to pick up as many pre req classes a future University might want to see on the transcript before she finishes up the 2 UL English courses next May. She was wanting to obtain an AA to lock in core classes just in case she doesn't finish the Bachelors in English before her senior year. She actually wants to go into nursing, and the school she wants to attend has about a 2 year waitlist. Those that have obtained a bachelors get moved up to the front of the waitlist, so that was the initial plan. She will have 5 UL English courses by the end of Senior year, then can do a Capstone in the Summer, that is how we picked the English Bachelor's.

The problem is, after speaking with TESC several times, they are requiring her to be a high school graduate or go get her GED. I won't allow her to do that, because here in our State, many of her classes get paid with PSEO $$ for students still in high school. I know she will have to compose a letter for early admittance, but having to graduate before you enroll just doesn't sound right. What am I missing? I don't think the Credit Banking at TESC will help us, do you? Looking for all suggestions.

Jude
Hometeacher628 Wrote:Ok all, I am a bit confused. Please help me sort this out and advise. My dual enrolled high school/homeschool Sophomore is ready to enroll into TESC before July 1st. She currently has 26 credit hours. She will work on 9 this summer, while also knocking out ALEKS math start to finish, sans Calc.. She is scheduled to dual enroll Macro econ, Psychology, Stats, Physics, Medieval History, and 2 upper level Literature courses next school year. We are back peddling to try to pick up as many pre req classes a future University might want to see on the transcript before she finishes up the 2 UL English courses next May. She was wanting to obtain an AA to lock in core classes just in case she doesn't finish the Bachelors in English before her senior year. She actually wants to go into nursing, and the school she wants to attend has about a 2 year waitlist. Those that have obtained a bachelors get moved up to the front of the waitlist, so that was the initial plan. She will have 5 UL English courses by the end of Senior year, then can do a Capstone in the Summer, that is how we picked the English Bachelor's.

The problem is, after speaking with TESC several times, they are requiring her to be a high school graduate or go get her GED. I won't allow her to do that, because here in our State, many of her classes get paid with PSEO $$ for students still in high school. I know she will have to compose a letter for early admittance, but having to graduate before you enroll just doesn't sound right. What am I missing? I don't think the Credit Banking at TESC will help us, do you? Looking for all suggestions.

Jude

This is interesting. I applied to each of the Big 3, and since I had credits to transfer in, none of them required proof of high school completion. How old is your daughter? Perhaps one idea would be to just apply and see if they ask you about it. If they don't mention it, I wouldn't either....
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Hi Iowa! (I'm from the Quad Cities, worked in Bettendorf for almost 20 years!)

Whoever you spoke to is an idiot. Smile Good thing you came here instead of throwing in the towel. She can enroll underage (21) with a letter/waiver that will take 2 seconds. This is a non-issue. You are correct, do NOT do the GED or graduate early, no reason to do that. Her plan is excellent, and I especially like the English degree, since she'll have an opportunity to strengthen her writing skills.

Couple cautions, don't let her test out of anything that's potentially a nursing prereq (science for sure) since nursing schools have their own rules, and graded credit CAN be one of them. In addition, when the time comes for nursing school applications, cast a wide net, because as you are finding, bachelor degree holders sometimes get a good bump in line. I would also suggest that inbetween now and then, she complete one of the CNA certificate programs and take a very part time job doing CNA work. Maybe 1 shift per week. This will be huge, AND it can be a valuable resource for letters of recommendation as well as extra income in health care when she starts nursing school. Good luck!!
Thank you Cookderosa-- I was hoping you would chime in. This forum has been an invaluable tool. I will have her apply to TESC and send over transcripts. I have noticed the finicky attitude about science classes. Good point on the CNA. She has it as a public school offering, but she can't afford the 1/2 school day for the school year time allowance, so she can do CC in way shorter timespan.
Hometeacher628 Wrote:Thank you Cookderosa-- I was hoping you would chime in. This forum has been an invaluable tool. I will have her apply to TESC and send over transcripts. I have noticed the finicky attitude about science classes. Good point on the CNA. She has it as a public school offering, but she can't afford the 1/2 school day for the school year time allowance, so she can do CC in way shorter timespan.

What am I? Chopped liver? :p Lol just kidding.....cookderosa is much more knowledgeable than me....she wrote the book on homeschooling for college credit....and I mean that quite literally hahaha
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
publius2k4 Wrote:What am I? Chopped liver? :p Lol just kidding.....cookderosa is much more knowledgeable than me....she wrote the book on homeschooling for college credit....and I mean that quite literally hahaha

Awwww!! LOL, I answered because you already had your GED and would be older. OP's child is only in 10th grade, and TESC has a written policy that you must be 21 and a HS graduate/holder of GED. Smile
cookderosa Wrote:Awwww!! LOL, I answered because you already had your GED and would be older. OP's child is only in 10th grade, and TESC has a written policy that you must be 21 and a HS graduate/holder of GED. Smile

Would they allow credit banking at that age and grade level?
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
Oooo Publius, bene note, thank you too! I'm still navigating this posting stuff, as I don't always sign in when I read the forum. Note to self....can't post that way!!!

Ditto on Cookderosa's book, I enjoyed it, and very informative.

Jude
publius2k4 Wrote:Would they allow credit banking at that age and grade level?

There is no reason to credit bank, it's a $cam of $orts. For your college credits earned at an accredited college, DSST, CLEP, AP, and ACE credits, these are all held for you for free by the source. There are only 1-2 situations when someone benefits from a bank, but it's not like most people think, it doesn't neatly put them all in one place for later- it only does that for you. Sometimes you may need a collection of credits for an employer, and if your credits are from a variety of sources, it might feel neat and tidy to present them on a credit bank transcript, but you're not saving any money or time. Read on...
To explain this better, let's say you sent all of your transcripts to TESC and bought a credit bank account. Now, let's suppose you apply to EC. EC will want all original transcripts, they won't accept a credit bank summary, it's not an original transcript. So, now that you've paid the first time to have alllll your documents sent to TESC, you've then paid to house them for the year, now you get to pay AGAIN to have all official transcripts sent to TESC. See? Nothing gained, but extra money and time wasted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,856 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Says Son Can't Enroll & Pay Residency Waiver?! AquaDragonfly 4 1,568 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: AquaDragonfly
  What will be the cost to graduate? sarahrahul 2 1,175 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  When can i actually Graduate? sarahrahul 2 1,104 05-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Last Post: sarahrahul
  TESU / COSC graduate credit perriquit 1 787 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  When should I enroll in TESU? camjenks 5 1,266 03-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Letter of intent to graduate the same as the certification email? Chef945 4 1,576 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Chef945
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Enroll/Register at TESU: what is cheapest path to get started? sheagang6 6 2,165 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74