Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
information technology BA
hey guys, I'm sure this was asked a lot! 
i want to know the degree plan for the bachelor of information technology in excelsior college and roughly how much it will cost?
I think you're the first one to ask specifically about Excelsior, at least recently. I'm not sure if there's a plan to be had right now but you are most likely looking at completing more than just the 7 minimum Excelsior credits with Excelsior.

Courses I don't see at SDC:
Intermediate Programming
Data Communications and Networking
Database Management Systems (Maybe; SDC does have Database Management)
Web Design and Development
Human-Computer Interactive Design
Overview of Computer Security (SDC does have a few security courses but I don't see one named this. It's possible one of those will work here?)

If you have to take 18 credits at EC + the always-required 7 credits, those required 25 credits would wind up costing you more than $10k. If you are in the US, WGU might be a cheaper/faster option.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-31-2021, 02:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think you're the first one to ask specifically about Excelsior, at least recently. I'm not sure if there's a plan to be had right now but you are most likely looking at completing more than just the 7 minimum Excelsior credits with Excelsior.

Courses I don't see at SDC:
Intermediate Programming
Data Communications and Networking
Database Management Systems (Maybe; SDC does have Database Management)
Web Design and Development
Human-Computer Interactive Design
Overview of Computer Security (SDC does have a few security courses but I don't see one named this. It's possible one of those will work here?)

If you have to take 18 credits at EC + the always-required 7 credits, those required 25 credits would wind up costing you more than $10k. If you are in the US, WGU might be a cheaper/faster option.
thanks for replying! 
sadly I'm not from the USA so I cant join WGU  Sad 
do you know any other colleges offering it?
Is Purdue University-Global an option for international students? If so, they have a competency-based program called ExcelTrack, with Cloud, Cybersecurity and IT degrees. They are very generous with credits for IT certs, and will take 90cr of transfer including alternative-credit. My husband has an AWS cert, and PUG gave him 55qcr (~36cr semester) for that single cert. They will take more, as long as they're 3 years older or less.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, PUG really accepts a lot of certificates! https://www.purdueglobal.edu/transfer-st...ion-exams/ They even accept things like the Google Automate with Python cert or the W3Schools PHP cert. There are a lot of things there that I don't remember seeing other schools accept.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(02-01-2021, 01:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Wow, PUG really accepts a lot of certificates! https://www.purdueglobal.edu/transfer-st...ion-exams/  They even accept things like the Google Automate with Python cert or the W3Schools PHP cert. There are a lot of things there that I don't remember seeing other schools accept.

Did you check the BSIT from Brandman University is more cheaper compare to UMPI in terms.
https://www.brandman.edu/academic-progra...ogy-mypath

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(02-03-2021, 07:08 AM)gams007 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Wow, PUG really accepts a lot of certificates! https://www.purdueglobal.edu/transfer-st...ion-exams/  They even accept things like the Google Automate with Python cert or the W3Schools PHP cert. There are a lot of things there that I don't remember seeing other schools accept.

Did you check the BSIT from Brandman University is more cheaper compare to UMPI in terms.

They are cheaper per week but they require 81.5% on ACE courses to transfer them in. I also don't see a list of certificates that they accept so I don't think they accept any. They might accept the Google IT Support Professional certificate because it is ACE-recommended but it doesn't look like they'd accept something like the AWS certificate or even a CompTIA certificate for credit. Brandman also doesn't have different concentrations like PUG does. 

Honestly, if everything goes belly-up for me with TESU for whatever reason, PUG looks like a better option for me even though they cost more per week.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(02-03-2021, 07:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:08 AM)gams007 Wrote:

They are cheaper per week but they require 81.5% on ACE courses to transfer them in. I also don't see a list of certificates that they accept so I don't think they accept any. They might accept the Google IT Support Professional certificate because it is ACE-recommended but it doesn't look like they'd accept something like the AWS certificate or even a CompTIA certificate for credit. Brandman also doesn't have different concentrations like PUG does. 

Honestly, if everything goes belly-up for me with TESU for whatever reason, PUG looks like a better option for me even though they cost more per week.

Weekly cost is only one way to measure things - you also have to look at overall costs.  With PUG, if you finish in a single term, you've paid less than WGU.  

You also have to look at other things - if you take more courses that interest you; if they bring in more credits; if the certs you have are worth something; if you're going to spend time doing courses (like A+) that will waste time you don't have getting a cert you don't need; lots of variables.

The cost is so similar (within a couple thousand dollars), that it really makes sense to look at the degrees as a whole and figure out what's best for YOU besides cost.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drafting / Design Engineering Technology, A.A.S. Aakeey 4 201 04-05-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Excel: BPS in Technology Management with a Nuclear Technology Concentration. Radcon7 5 864 01-06-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Where is the TESU RA Information Located? virino 3 464 12-17-2022, 07:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Rainbow BA in Social Science. GOAL: get a degree in Technology irkas94 2 599 11-26-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Degree plans for health information technology bcameau1 4 1,006 03-29-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor question davemodular 4 924 09-24-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Please help with plan for AS in Computer info and Technology andrers 12 1,250 06-29-2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Please help with plan for BS in Information Technology andrers 3 831 06-29-2021, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Purdue Global BS in Information Technology Plan Needs Review 9yeire 12 2,399 03-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BSBA Computer Info Technology rlstrick06 5 1,182 01-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP