Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
liberal agenda- social sciences
I wanted to share an observation especially relevant to earning CLEP credit. I started working on my degree from scratch just over a year ago, and used CLEP for purely reasons of time and money. I love this forum, and this is a bit political- but since I know there are a lot of conservatives here, I want to share a bit about my experience the past 6 months.

In August I enrolled at TESC. My major is social sciences- grand total of 57 credits in that area. My credits consist of 33 in major, 12 as a gen ed requirement, and 12 more as gen ed electives. So....as you can imagine, I have done all of the social science CLEPS and then had to enroll in courses beyond that. (I just finished a 15 credit semester that was the worst experience of my life)

CLEP social science exams are very factual. Who the founders were, who the theorists are, stages of this, phases of that, economic relationships, dates, etc. I strongly suggest that conservatives and/or Christians use this option for earning credit in this category. I won't go into exhaustive detail, but keep your children out of ANY sociology classrooms (or online course) until you google the professors AND examine the course text book. I'm being sincere. You need to know who you are paying and what they are saying. I have worked in as a community college teacher for 15 years and had NO IDEA that teachers REALLY had the unbridled freedom to say ANY thing they please... to really assign papers like "500 words on how George W. Bush has ruined the country." The field is littered with people I strongly suggest guard your child's heart against. At nearly 40 years old I had to submit crap essays that were inconsistent with my belief system because you must cater to the fancy of the professor- he holds your grade in the palm of his hand. I can't fathom a young person exploring the adult world for the first time has much ability to understand the extent of the agenda....and what to do about it if he did.

An example that happened yesterday (B.H. College, not TESC) - I was docked 2 points for a comment I made in the class forum discussing gender equality. I wrote "professor, I respectfully disagree that the woman's suffrage efforts reflect the same agenda as the modern feminist movement." His reply? "Would anyone like to comment on Ms. DeRosa's offensive suggestions?" Feeling snotty, my reply was simply "Mrs. DeRosa" :p

The text for the course is the worst piece of trash I have ever read- I'm happy to provide the title by private message. It's into the third edition, shockingly, they must have sold enough of these to continue printing them.

I won't go on and on, but having sat through enough of these crappy classes, I will say that my children will all be earning their social science credits via CLEP if I have anything to say about it.... and I will, because they'll get it in high school.
No-one deserves to be belittled for their beliefs and it is wrong for anyone to do so. I will say that my children and I have both run into professors where you are not allowed to argue to express a different viewpoint, and unfortunately to pass you do have to suck it up. In the workforce you can just quietly find another job in a more harmonious atmosphere (which sucks as well). I do try to avoid the social science kind of class for this reason as I have run into more in those situations.
Judy -
AS - Computer Science - Andover college
BS - Mgmt Information Systems -June 08
MS - Info Systems Mgmt - Start Aug 08 - UMBC
I ran across this site and thought it was pretty cool as I may be picking up a local class or two...Anyway you can post the info on the guy here and warn off others who might fall into the same trap.

RateMyProfessors.com
I agree that there are social science instructors out there with an agenda. I had one in my freshman year at the local university and it completely turned me off to taking one for a major initially. I'm glad I tried more social science classes and exams through independent study, which led me to choose it for my major course of study. It has been a very rewarding experience for me.
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Jennifer,

I know this post is a little older, I just had to chime in.

I've run into the same type of attitude. My political viewpoints are likely very different from yours. And if you and I were in a class and you made a comment I disagreed with, I would say so, and why. Our discussion might even get heated, but it should never be rude.

I respectfully disagree with you Cinderly. You should never "suck it up".

When given a choice between being a lion or being a lamb, eat the lamb.

(Disclaimer- This advice may not always lead to good college scores)
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009
Epiphany Wrote:Jennifer,

I know this post is a little older, I just had to chime in.

I've run into the same type of attitude. My political viewpoints are likely very different from yours. And if you and I were in a class and you made a comment I disagreed with, I would say so, and why. Our discussion might even get heated, but it should never be rude.

I respectfully disagree with you Cinderly. You should never "suck it up".

When given a choice between being a lion or being a lamb, eat the lamb.

(Disclaimer- This advice may not always lead to good college scores)
>>

Joe, thanks for chiming in! Well, my class consisted of all lambs, and our shepherd the teacher :o) (oh, and me)
Despite my personal political feelings, there was no discussion, only indoctrination- honestly, the textbook was full-blown propaganda and as anti-American as I have ever read. I don't think there was ever a reference or a footnote to be found...just spouting about how we are the worst country in pretty much every aspect. (except for being evil- we were the best country for that)
One thing that I really appreciate about the university that I'm finishing my degree with (Ottawa University) is that every student, regardless of major, has to take an introductory course called "Proseminar" that covers critical thinking methods.

This allowed me as a student to learn and apply critical thinking to any texts, handouts, or arguments that were made in class. It's kind of an "insulator" against falling prey to one slant or another like what cookderosa presented above.

I think it would be especially helpful for younger, more traditional students entering college for the first time. Although I didn't see a significant amount of that type of slant at Ottawa; thinking back to my first years of education at a state university I could find a number of examples of an instructor's bias or a biased text.

Below is a summary of the CLEAR or C-L-E-A-R method of critical thinking that can help you, your kids, and fellow students evaluate any argument (written or spoken) with a clear head --

1. Claims: What are the main claims or arguments in the text? What is the author’s main point?

2. Logic: How does the author reach these conclusions? What are the steps in the author’s reasoning or logic? Is this logic sound?

3. Evidence: What evidence does the author present to support the argument(s)? Does the author offer enough evidence? Is this evidence convincing? Can you think of any counter-evidence that would challenge the author’s claims?

4. Assumptions: Does the author rely on hidden assumptions? If so, are these assumptions correct?

5. Alternative arguments: Can you think of alternative arguments that the author has not considered?

Hope this is something you can put in your toolbox.
Completed all requirements for B.A. Management @ Ottawa University, Phoenix AZ

96 credits earned through traditional coursework:
3 credits - Front Range Community College (CO) - 1993
44 credits - Arizona State University (AZ) - 1992-97
49 Credits - Ottawa University (AZ) - 2004-08

Credits earned by examination:
6 credits - AP Exams (European History & US History)
12 credits - DANTES Exams (General Anthropology, Intro to World Religions, Criminal Justice, Here's To Your Health)
12 credits - CLEP Exams (Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Spanish Language)
5 credits - FEMA courses thru Frederick Community College

Program completion 8.23.08 - degree posting 12.31.08 !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Famous Social Conformity Psychology Experiment LevelUP 0 401 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,080 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  National Academy of Sciences Award Alpha 0 431 01-31-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Social Media dewisant 10 2,732 10-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  In Defense of a Liberal Education dewisant 7 1,870 02-10-2019, 01:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  When unpaid student debt leads to a smaller Social Security check bluebooger 7 2,491 12-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Social Media and Sending a Story Viral mrs.b 0 767 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Clueless liberal discussing economics andy3000 36 2,859 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Last Post: tybouff
  Older students and the liberal arts Scholar Interrupted 67 9,006 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93
  Liberal Arts degrees april004 49 6,197 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: MA2