Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pell grant
FEDERAL PELL GRANTS Pell Grants are awarded for undergraduate students only. Pell Grants are based on financial need and are used to help pay for a portion of educational expenses. Students eligible and enrolled in the University, and taking at least 6 credits of Guided Study and online courses per semester, may be considered for a Pell Grant. If the student completes the financial aid process by the specified deadlines, the grant may be credited to their account when registered for courses. Pell Grant will be one-quarter of the maximum full-time award per term as the University is under Pell Formula 3. For example, if the maximum award is $4,050, the actual award will be $1,012 per semester if 6-12 credits per term are taken. If less than 4 terms are attended, the maximum Pell award will be reduced by one quarter for each term missed. If the Pell award results in a credit balance, then that student will receive that balance the first week of the term. There is a lifetime limit on Pell. The Department of Education will notify the student if near this limit. Students that already have a bachelor’s degree or are graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants. Due to the length of our terms, students with low Pell eligibility may not be eligible for disbursement. Pell-eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant.

For tesu it looks like 6-12 = full time
3 = part time 

This is probably though to the trimester system that they used to compare to other systems. This was confirmed on my financial aid cover letter I got a few days ago.
This is good information. Thank you.

But I thought it said on TESUs website if you took 3 you can't get any aid. I recall seeing you had to take at least 6 credits in order to receive financial aid. Anything on that?

Also the example you posted does not appear to be the maximum award. Do you know what the max numbers would be?
(06-02-2020, 12:07 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: FEDERAL PELL GRANTS Pell Grants are awarded for undergraduate students only. Pell Grants are based on financial need and are used to help pay for a portion of educational expenses. Students eligible and enrolled in the University, and taking at least 6 credits of Guided Study and online courses per semester, may be considered for a Pell Grant. If the student completes the financial aid process by the specified deadlines, the grant may be credited to their account when registered for courses. Pell Grant will be one-quarter of the maximum full-time award per term as the University is under Pell Formula 3. For example, if the maximum award is $4,050, the actual award will be $1,012 per semester if 6-12 credits per term are taken. If less than 4 terms are attended, the maximum Pell award will be reduced by one quarter for each term missed. If the Pell award results in a credit balance, then that student will receive that balance the first week of the term. There is a lifetime limit on Pell. The Department of Education will notify the student if near this limit. Students that already have a bachelor’s degree or are graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants. Due to the length of our terms, students with low Pell eligibility may not be eligible for disbursement. Pell-eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant.

3 = part time 

This is probably though to the trimester system that they used to compare to other systems. This was confirmed on my financial aid cover letter I got a few days ago.

So TESU has 4 quarters so then 6x4-24cr year which is full-time.

So TESU costs would be:
 $1137 SOS-110
 $1137  Capstone
 $2800 Residency Fee
 $5074
- $1586 Pell Grant
$3451 Total

Or spread it out over 9 Months
$6064 (16cr courses, 6cr+6cr+4cr each  term)
-$4228 (Pell grant award for 3 terms, 66% of award final term)
$1836
** pay no Residency Waiver Fee since have 16cr taken at TESU

Pretty good cost savings if you can qualify for Pell Grant.

Attached Files
.pdf   pellgrantpercentage.pdf (Size: 45.39 KB / Downloads: 13)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-02-2020, 02:18 PM)natshar Wrote: This is good information. Thank you.

But I thought it said on TESUs website if you took 3 you can't get any aid. I recall seeing you had to take at least 6 credits in order to receive financial aid. Anything on that?

Also the example you posted does not appear to be the maximum award. Do you know what the max numbers would be?

The original poster said at the end of the first long paragraph: Pell-eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant.

I only need 3 more credits to take through TESU, the capstone. I was told that I could possibly get a reduced Pell Grant even though I would not be taking the 6 credits required. I believe the lady I talked to mentioned something about getting a third of the Pell? We'll see if that's true but it would be nice if it was.

6345 is the max. Or 2115 for 3 terms if you can graduate fast enough.

(06-02-2020, 02:55 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:

The original poster said at the end of the first long paragraph: Pell-eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant.

I only need 3 more credits to take through TESU, the capstone. I was told that I could possibly get a reduced Pell Grant even though I would not be taking the 6 credits required. I believe the lady I talked to mentioned something about getting a third of the Pell? We'll see if that's true but it would be nice if it was.
You will only get half because just taking the capstone is consider part time you have take another with it to be consider the full pell and bot half
(06-02-2020, 02:55 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:

If 6 if full-time or 100%

5=83.3%
4=66.6%
3=50% or max $793
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-02-2020, 02:47 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 12:07 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: FEDERAL PELL GRANTS Pell Grants are awarded for undergraduate students only. Pell Grants are based on financial need and are used to help pay for a portion of educational expenses. Students eligible and enrolled in the University, and taking at least 6 credits of Guided Study and online courses per semester, may be considered for a Pell Grant. If the student completes the financial aid process by the specified deadlines, the grant may be credited to their account when registered for courses. Pell Grant will be one-quarter of the maximum full-time award per term as the University is under Pell Formula 3. For example, if the maximum award is $4,050, the actual award will be $1,012 per semester if 6-12 credits per term are taken. If less than 4 terms are attended, the maximum Pell award will be reduced by one quarter for each term missed. If the Pell award results in a credit balance, then that student will receive that balance the first week of the term. There is a lifetime limit on Pell. The Department of Education will notify the student if near this limit. Students that already have a bachelor’s degree or are graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants. Due to the length of our terms, students with low Pell eligibility may not be eligible for disbursement. Pell-eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant.

3 = part time 

So TESU has 4 quarters so then 6x4-24cr year which is full-time.

So TESU costs would be:
 $1137 SOS-110
 $1137  Capstone
 $2800 Residency Fee
 $5074
- $1586 Pell Grant
$3451 Total

Or spread it out over 9 Months
$6064 (16cr courses, 6cr+6cr+4cr each  term)
-$4228 (Pell grant award for 3 terms, 66% of award final term)
$1836
** pay no Residency Waiver Fee since have 16cr taken at TESU

Pretty good cost savings if you can qualify for Pell Grant.

Actually the info above is outdated. The example is still true but the pell grant has gone up since than. So actually its 6345 now max instead of 4228. Pell basically cuts out the tuition if you take 16 credits exactly and avoid the residency waiver. For me I owe about 150 each term x 3 = 450 plus my graduation fee to cut me out about 750 total for my entire tuition.
Wait ok I see it now. What I was referring to is credits is required for TESU in house scholarships. You can still take less and qualify for pell grant (i think).

And I know from personal experience you get significantly less pell grant if you only take 3 credits not TESU but from another school. The max pell basically covers half the price of six credits, so three of those credits are basically free. Probably the amount of aid you get for 3 credits isn't that much money. So unless you only need 3 credits doing 6 credits is probably worth it financially.
(06-02-2020, 03:17 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: Actually the info above is outdated. The example is still true but the pell grant has gone up since than. So actually its 6345 now max instead of 4228. Pell basically cuts out the tuition if you take 16 credits exactly and avoid the residency waiver. For me I owe about 150 each term x 3 = 450 plus my graduation fee to cut me out about 750 total for my entire tuition.

I got $6345 max Pell Grant which is $1586 over each of 4 terms.

So if each credit is $379 and a total of 6cr. How you end up owing just $150 per term?

My math you should owe $688 per term unless they also factored in a student loan amount that was taken.
(06-02-2020, 03:43 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 03:17 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: Actually the info above is outdated. The example is still true but the pell grant has gone up since than. So actually its 6345 now max instead of 4228. Pell basically cuts out the tuition if you take 16 credits exactly and avoid the residency waiver. For me I owe about 150 each term x 3 = 450 plus my graduation fee to cut me out about 750 total for my entire tuition.

I got $6345 max Pell Grant which is $1586 over each of 4 terms.

So if each credit is $379 and a total of 6cr.  How you end up owing just $150 per term?  

My math you should owe $688 per term unless they also factored in a student loan amount that was taken.
That is because they split mine in 3 terms. I ask tesu to split mine three ways in three terms since  I will start in July and graduate in 9 months thus not needing a 4 term. You can do this if you sent in a large volume of credits to them. I really only need the sos 110 and capstone but willing taking 10 extra credits as tesu probably wants to avoid the residency waiver.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pell grant and the 16 credits maxxor6868 15 2,663 07-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Pell Grant and Residency Wavier natshar 11 2,605 10-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore