Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
second area of study courses overlapping
i'm in the TESU CIS program. i was looking to do a second area of study in Gen Man. i just spoke to the advisor and he told me that no courses can overlap. when i checked the tesu second area of study page it states up to 9 credits. however, when i mentioned this to him he stated that no courses can overlap as per the Dean of Business and Management. 

starting this, as the threads i was reading say 9 credits can overlap but this doesnt seem to be the case with business unless someone else here has had a different experience.
Well that would be 9 credits, not 9 courses. I'd send an email to the Dean to verify. Advising has been known to make a mistake once in a while...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-03-2018, 06:30 PM)davewill Wrote: Well that would be 9 credits, not 9 courses. I'd send an email to the Dean to verify. Advising has been known to make a mistake once in a while...

hey, thanks for catching that. i edited the post
(10-03-2018, 05:25 PM)shendaddy Wrote: i'm in the TESU CIS program. i was looking to do a second area of study in Gen Man. i just spoke to the advisor and he told me that no courses can overlap. when i checked the tesu second area of study page it states up to 9 credits. however, when i mentioned this to him he stated that no courses can overlap as per the Dean of Business and Management. 

starting this, as the threads i was reading say 9 credits can overlap but this doesnt seem to be the case with business unless someone else here has had a different experience.

If you look in the TESU catalog, they specify that 9 credits can overlap except for business degrees. I investigated this as well since I was also planning a second AOS in addition to CIS.

It's been that way for multiple years. Each school within TESU gets to set their own rules, so, unfortunately, there isn't really anything we can do. Well, you could declare a non-business major like a BALS or BACS I suppose. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I remember a few years ago we could get another degree but if you had a BA it needed to be a BS. Is this now not the case?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(10-03-2018, 05:25 PM)shendaddy Wrote: i'm in the TESU CIS program. i was looking to do a second area of study in Gen Man. i just spoke to the advisor and he told me that no courses can overlap. when i checked the tesu second area of study page it states up to 9 credits. however, when i mentioned this to him he stated that no courses can overlap as per the Dean of Business and Management. 

This does not apply to the BSBA, since that's a different animal than many of the BA degrees - there are only 6 courses/18cr in the AOS, where many of the other BA degrees have almost twice as many credits required.

BTW - there is no real advantage in getting a CIS and GM AOS. As a hiring manager, it would not impress me to see this. 2 different ones like CIS and Marketing, or Accounting and HR, but GM, no. I would just go with CIS and call it a day.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-04-2018, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

This does not apply to the BSBA, since that's a different animal than many of the BA degrees - there are only 6 courses/18cr in the AOS, where many of the other BA degrees have almost twice as many credits required.

BTW - there is no real advantage in getting a CIS and GM AOS.  As a hiring manager, it would not impress me to see this.  2 different ones like CIS and Marketing, or Accounting and HR, but GM, no.  I would just go with CIS and call it a day.

unfortunately, i'll have to disagree with you on the second part about there being no advantage doing both  cis and gm aos .
However, i appreciate you providing feedback. cheers!
It certainly seems like a waste of time and money to have a specialized concentration and then a broad/generalized one. I would second dfrecore, if your heart us stuck on two concentrations, don't have one be a general track that HR/hiring managers will understand you've already acquired the skills for in your specialized track.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I agree with dfrecore and jsd. The general management concentration would be a waste. A business administration degree is already a general management program. If you don't want to emphasize CIS for a certain position, then don't list it. You'll still have a business administration major. I don't think I've ever heard any employer say that they would prefer a management degree over a business administration degree. The general management concentration is not even focused on management. You can pretty much take any business course you want, so it's generalized just like the business core.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
As someone who was considering adding a second AOS to my BSBA, as well as being a hiring manager with more than 20 years experience, I will also chime in to agree with the folks above.

IMO, the reason why you would want a second area of study (or second bachelor degree) is to show competency in a specific focus area or concentration to demonstrate more breadth in academic or professional skillset. The general management AOS doesn't really do that since the GM AOS basically means "General" or no focus area. It just means a bit more exposure to three of the four business areas (accounting, finance, marketing, or misc. business management), and it's up to the student to determine that mix.

In fact, that is why I switched from the BSBA GM AOS to the BSBA CIS AOS, since I wanted my BSBA to have a focus. I also considered adding the Organizational Management AOS to cover more of the leadership and team management areas that the BSBA GM doesn't cover. But then decided that since I'll be moving on to a graduate program right after my BSBA, a second AOS really won't matter. In fact, the BBA itself probably won't matter. However, for someone who may not be looking at an MBA or masters in a specific focus area, a second AOS in a relevant focus area may look better on a resume if you need to show your breadth of knowledge.

That is my $0.02 anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,379 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  European seeking advice for a tech degree to study a master's in Europe unfinesredondo 5 715 01-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Searching for elective core finance online courses-BSBA in Finance @ TESU Ofeezee 39 3,406 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,424 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 773 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,902 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Advice on remaining courses (BACS AND BSBA CIS) whitenight 9 577 07-20-2023, 01:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International student, complex study history, looking at TESU BA Psych vaticidalprophet 7 763 06-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior BSLA plan advice and looking for UL courses with least amount of writing oldguy4associate 8 964 02-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: oldguy4associate
  UMPI help w planning BLS Management courses namwen 10 1,378 02-04-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: namwen