Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
second area of study courses overlapping
To actually answer your question, it used to be you couldn't do a second concentration with GM, but that was changed in the last couple of years. So now you certainly CAN do both of those.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-04-2018, 06:37 PM)shendaddy Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 05:25 PM)shendaddy Wrote: i'm in the TESU CIS program. i was looking to do a second area of study in Gen Man. i just spoke to the advisor and he told me that no courses can overlap. when i checked the tesu second area of study page it states up to 9 credits. however, when i mentioned this to him he stated that no courses can overlap as per the Dean of Business and Management. 

starting this, as the threads i was reading say 9 credits can overlap but this doesnt seem to be the case with business unless someone else here has had a different experience.

This does not apply to the BSBA, since that's a different animal than many of the BA degrees - there are only 6 courses/18cr in the AOS, where many of the other BA degrees have almost twice as many credits required.

BTW - there is no real advantage in getting a CIS and GM AOS.  As a hiring manager, it would not impress me to see this.  2 different ones like CIS and Marketing, or Accounting and HR, but GM, no.  I would just go with CIS and call it a day.

unfortunately, i'll have to disagree with you on the second part about there being no advantage doing both  cis and gm aos .
However, i appreciate you providing feedback. cheers!

This is a very polite way of telling someone to F off, but I appreciate the effort.

Just to ask, what is your disagreement?  What is the advantage of getting a concentration in GM that you think hiring managers WILL be impressed with (as opposed to Accounting, Marketing, CIS, etc.).  Why do you think GM is as valuable as the other concentrations?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
davewill Wrote:To actually answer your question, it used to be you couldn't do a second concentration with GM, but that was changed in the last couple of years. So now you certainly CAN do both of those.

Davewill's correct. I believe the OP was originally thinking of doing a BALS to get into a Masters program then decided on the BSBA but contemplating which AOS to choose, chose GM and now adding in the CIS AOS as a second AOS. That's pretty much what I am doing as well. The only difference is that I decided to continue on the BALS instead of leaving it for just the BSBA.

If you have most if not all of your GM AOS completed, then it's perfectly fine to add the CIS AOS by taking a few more courses, it will take up some of your time to complete them, but the CIS is an extra focus to specialize in. I believe there were a few members on the board that have multiple AOS in the BSBA.

The reason I would recommend both of them is if you already have the bulk, again - if not all transferred into the GM and just working those final courses of the CIS into your degree. As a few examples, eriehiker, medhat, myself, scoraie, yb1 decided on multiple AOS.

If you didn't know already, the GM field gives you a few course combinations (6 total) in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management. So, if you're not really into any of those four fields, then the GM mix is perfect, otherwise get a double focus in CIS and one of those four instead.

The majority of people who do the GM in addition to any of the other AOS have had their college or institutes credits get transferred over and basically had all their GM AOS requirements completed (no extra work needed), they just had to complete the 6 CIS requirements to complete the double AOS.

To conclude, decide what you want - consider the extra energy/money/time you need to complete them. If it's not too much in any of those three, then go right ahead and add that CIS AOS. If it's outside your means, you can decide one AOS is enough.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
Hey just wondering if what was ever said. What is the minimum credit difference overlap for two areas of study in a BSBA?
(10-11-2018, 09:17 PM)natshar Wrote: Hey just wondering if what was ever said. What is the minimum credit difference overlap for two areas of study in a BSBA?

Unlike other degrees, there is no overlap allowed for two AOS in a BSBA.

This is primarily because each AOS in the BSBA only requires an additional 18cr (6 courses) of which only 12cr (4 courses) have to be upper level. Some of the other degree programs require like 24-39cr in the AOS.

You could also say that the BSBA has 36cr of built-in overlap in terms of the professional business requirements.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(10-12-2018, 12:33 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 09:17 PM)natshar Wrote: Hey just wondering if what was ever said. What is the minimum credit difference overlap for two areas of study in a BSBA?

This is primarily because each AOS in the BSBA only requires an additional 18cr (6 courses) of which only 12cr (4 courses) have to be upper level. Some of the other degree programs require like 24-39cr in the AOS.

You could also say that the BSBA has 36cr of built-in overlap in terms of the professional business requirements.

So what you are saying is all the business credits outside of the business core must be different. Even if one of AOS is General Management where it is possible for the same class to count for both degrees?
 A second AOS for a BSBA: 18 cr with 12 being UL. Good to know.
(10-12-2018, 09:54 AM)natshar Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:33 AM)Merlin Wrote:

So what you are saying is all the business credits outside of the business core must be different. Even if one of AOS is General Management where it is possible for the same class to count for both degrees?
 A second AOS for a BSBA: 18 cr with 12 being UL. Good to know.

Yes - you need 18cr (12cr UL) in one AOS, and a different 18cr (12cr UL) in the next AOS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,407 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  European seeking advice for a tech degree to study a master's in Europe unfinesredondo 5 721 01-04-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Searching for elective core finance online courses-BSBA in Finance @ TESU Ofeezee 39 3,434 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,434 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 779 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,928 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Advice on remaining courses (BACS AND BSBA CIS) whitenight 9 580 07-20-2023, 01:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International student, complex study history, looking at TESU BA Psych vaticidalprophet 7 773 06-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior BSLA plan advice and looking for UL courses with least amount of writing oldguy4associate 8 967 02-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: oldguy4associate
  UMPI help w planning BLS Management courses namwen 10 1,389 02-04-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: namwen