Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*sigh*Argh! Angry, Confused, Scared.
There's a theory that children tend to do things like eat their boogers and dirt, cough on each other, avoid bath time, etc because being sick as a youngster confers an evolutionary advantage. Children who are exposed to a greater variety of foreign 'threats' tend to be more likely to make it to adulthood (or at least, reproductive age). Granted, not all of them survive this early exposure, but the long-term consequence is that early heavy testing of the immune system has a better overall survival ratio than cloistered, sterile children. Over time, the 'grosser' humans survived, and the clean ones . . . didn't.

Populations ebb and flow, so you can either have a fairly regular die off by allowing some degree of infection and illness, or you can attempt to keep every single person alive for as long as possible and end up with plagues and pandemics that kill off in mass numbers. Or we can live in isolation forever until humanity dies, miserable and alone.

The notion that we can somehow outsmart reality and avoid any unfortunate death ever is an interesting one, but not one I'd be putting my money on.

Try your best to be healthy and live well, and live with the knowledge that no day is guaranteed. It's about balance and weighing up risks.

But frankly, this whole idea that your fear constitutes sufficient justification to restrict my life, makes me fear people more than the pandemic. It reminds me of the 90s and the War on Drugs, where people were claiming to totally know someone who smoked marijuana once and died immediately, and that was justification to promote intrusive laws about random searches, drug-testing at work, locking up violators for years and giving them felony records - all in the name of 'protecting other people'.

Children, just like adults, will get sick. Some of them will die. But until I see parents stop feeding their kids cheetos and cola, and drivers start driving under the speed limit, I can't buy into this pretense that they've done all they can to keep others safe and now the rest of us have to give up our freedom to go for a walk without a mask on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • StoicJ
(12-18-2020, 03:51 PM)innen_oda Wrote: ...
But frankly, this whole idea that your fear constitutes sufficient justification to restrict my life, makes me fear people more than the pandemic.
It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of public health. It's a matter of not overwhelming our hospitals, and healthcare workers. California just placed a huge order for body bags and is arranging for refrigerated trailers to hold bodies. There are over 300,000 Americans DEAD of this and many many more sick for months, and maybe permanently damaged...and there didn't have to be. Other countries aren't failing this badly.

It's a matter of simple decency.

We can SEE the end of the crisis, we just have to hang in there for a few more months, but we can't seem to do it.

What's really a shame is that it isn't enough to simply tell people what they should do, and have them simply do it. Some people seem determined to flaunt the guidelines, even ones like masks that cost nothing and hurt NO ONE. It's not rocket science, but it IS science.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 5 users Like davewill's post:
  • dreke, inkleind, Library2HospitalChaplain, LongRoad, rachel83az
(12-18-2020, 06:24 PM)davewill Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 03:51 PM)innen_oda Wrote: ...
But frankly, this whole idea that your fear constitutes sufficient justification to restrict my life, makes me fear people more than the pandemic.
It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of public health. It's a matter of not overwhelming our hospitals, and healthcare workers. California just placed a huge order for body bags and is arranging for refrigerated trailers to hold bodies. There are over 300,000 Americans DEAD of this and many many more sick for months, and maybe permanently damaged...and there didn't have to be. Other countries aren't failing this badly.

It's a matter of simple decency.

We can SEE the end of the crisis, we just have to hang in there for a few more months, but we can't seem to do it.

What's really a shame is that it isn't enough to simply tell people what they should do, and have them simply do it. Some people seem determined to flaunt the guidelines, even ones like masks that cost nothing and hurt NO ONE. It's not rocket science, but it IS science.

There is only so much you can do to stop the spread of this virus by individuals.  You are only as strong as your weakest link.  Getting mad at each other isn't productive.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scared of doctors... STG 11 1,672 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Last Post: skybirds