Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcripts being held hostage
TenderMoni Wrote:I went to the school on a full tuition scholarship, not going to go retell the full story, but they pulled the scholarship at the end of my junior year because I refused to do something I felt was humiliating, but technically required by the rules of my scholarship - leaving me to pay the full balance of the year, $18k.

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that happened.
CarpeDiem8 Wrote:That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Thank you. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have fought against the injustice immediately instead of being shocked and frozen by it.

Synicaal Wrote:Thank you!! This make a lot more sense to me now. I was so confused on how these balances came about but know I understand, thank you for the clarification.

Also in case it was taken in such way I wasn't making negative comments about people who came into this situation I just didn't understand how it happened.

I didn't take it that you were being negative Smile After the experience that I had and now working for a university, my eyes are open that anything can happen and there are many unique scenarios that can occur.

dfrecore Wrote:I totally get your predicament. I think that you're right, and you have 2 options. 1) You can find a school that won't ask for all of your transcripts, and start from scratch. 2) You can start accumulating credits for a degree at one of the Big 3, and save up while you're at it to pay off your debt, so that when you want to actually enroll at a school, you're free to send that other transcript. Since you'll be bringing in your credits from the previous school, you should know what courses you took and what level they were at (LL or UL) and then work those into whatever plan you will do.

I personally would do the latter, even though it's a bigger pain in the butt, because I think the money you save going through TESU or one of the Big 3 kind of offsets the money you have to pay to the school. Not entirely, but it certainly helps. And also, because it will get that monkey off your back. I'm sure it's been a weight on your shoulders for a long time.

If you post your credits here, we can help to make sure that they fit as well as possible into your degree plan, so you don't waste a dime on courses that you don't need.

Good luck!

It has been a full on gorilla! An additional angst because I pledged a sorority and it's really wack to have my letters and not a degree Undecided

I will take your advice and post my credits to figure out what fits what degree. I read something about a 10cr limit for credits over 10 years...anyone familiar with that or shall I post in a different thread?
New post, please.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Years ago, I applied to UMD College Park. I sent in everything and just had to send in the application fee. Things happened and I changed my mind and eventually forgot about it. Years later, I think they were able to offset my taxes or something to get their money. On the flip side, I sent money to Bowie State and sent everything but my transcripts. I ended up moving to AZ afterwards.

Also, now I'm curious. How do you find out if you owe anything to any schools. Like in the above example, I didn't realize that I was on the hook for that fee until it was taken out of my tax refund. I know I have a private loan in default and my others can be tracked on the .gov student loan site. Anything outside of that I'm clueless about.
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development
Brownie82 Wrote:Years ago, I applied to UMD College Park. I sent in everything and just had to send in the application fee. Things happened and I changed my mind and eventually forgot about it. Years later, I think they were able to offset my taxes or something to get their money. On the flip side, I sent money to Bowie State and sent everything but my transcripts. I ended up moving to AZ afterwards.

Also, now I'm curious. How do you find out if you owe anything to any schools. Like in the above example, I didn't realize that I was on the hook for that fee until it was taken out of my tax refund. I know I have a private loan in default and my others can be tracked on the .gov student loan site. Anything outside of that I'm clueless about.

I believe companies are required to inform people of accounts that go into collections because the debtor is supposed to be given the opportunity to contest a debt.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Brownie82 Wrote:Years ago, I applied to UMD College Park. I sent in everything and just had to send in the application fee. Things happened and I changed my mind and eventually forgot about it. Years later, I think they were able to offset my taxes or something to get their money. On the flip side, I sent money to Bowie State and sent everything but my transcripts. I ended up moving to AZ afterwards.

Pull a copy of your credit report through each of the 3 credit reporting agencies. You can do this for free once a year.
What schools don't require all previous transcripts?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Okay, now I'm worried. I did a year at a private college about 25 years ago. I did fine, was on the Dean's List, in fact, but the credits were so old when I restarted college that I wanted to retake the courses anyway so I didn't bother to get a transcript or mention it to TESU. Actually, I do think I vaguely mentioned it to my CC and they told me I should get it to see if I could skip Freshman Comp, but they didn't say it was required and I put it out of my head again.

I think I do owe a library fine that if I remember right, wasn't even mine and I was irritated when I left the school for various reasons and didn't close it out. Is this something that could bite me in the rear later? I wasn't trying to be deceptive, I just genuinely wasn't even thinking about it since I wanted to start from scratch because my major (Comm) is in my field so I wanted the skills refresher. Ugh. I guess I should go clear my name now.
ladysoleil Wrote:Okay, now I'm worried. I did a year at a private college about 25 years ago. I did fine, was on the Dean's List, in fact, but the credits were so old when I restarted college that I wanted to retake the courses anyway so I didn't bother to get a transcript or mention it to TESU. Actually, I do think I vaguely mentioned it to my CC and they told me I should get it to see if I could skip Freshman Comp, but they didn't say it was required and I put it out of my head again.

I think I do owe a library fine that if I remember right, wasn't even mine and I was irritated when I left the school for various reasons and didn't close it out. Is this something that could bite me in the rear later? I wasn't trying to be deceptive, I just genuinely wasn't even thinking about it since I wanted to start from scratch because my major (Comm) is in my field so I wanted the skills refresher. Ugh. I guess I should go clear my name now.
It could. It is probably easiest to just order the transcript. If they send it, you must be all right.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:It could. It is probably easiest to just order the transcript. If they send it, you must be all right.

Thanks much for the feedback! I agree with you, I'm assuming at this point it's better to admit to TESU that I had a idiot moment and forgot all about it rather than wait for it to blow up in my face. Hopefully it doesn't. The admissions person I am working with seems fairly cool, so hopefully it is a non-issue. Maybe I'll even get lucky and get out of a couple of electives. Thanks to the OP, too, I literally had no idea something like this could pose a problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Most expensive transcripts? clep3705 8 686 09-06-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe) xXAnonymousXx 12 2,111 12-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  PSA: Send transcripts early and check their receipt status promptly Ideas 2 1,049 08-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  How many transcripts do you have? eyrobinson 57 9,959 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  ACE is switching how they transfer your transcripts BrighterFuture88 7 2,748 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,180 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Confused about ACE transcripts bethanyneedsajob 5 1,507 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Free Clep and DSSt tests & transcripts FishNDip 5 2,482 10-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about DSST transcripts bigfloppydonkeyears 0 1,314 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bigfloppydonkeyears