Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transferring credits multiple times
(11-04-2018, 05:16 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:27 AM)husker77c Wrote: I would be looking at just going to one of the big three but more classes will transfer from the community college than will transfer from the big 3.

That's a strange assumption, but none the less, if you don't take classes from the big 3 then there is nothing to transfer.

I'm curious, are you looking at Penn State's on campus program at University Park for your bachelor's degree or are you going through their Global campus? University Park and Global have very different requirements for admission and transfer. Global for SURE more alternative credit friendly.

Curiosity #2, do you work in Supply Chain now? You know the MIT supply chain grad program is the top program in the country and you can now do that master's degree in 1 year. The first 50% (1 semester) is through edX online *CHEAP* and the second semester (last 50%) is on campus *EXPENSIVE.* I have been priming my oldest son to pursue that degree since they launched in 2016.

There's a few cheaper/online/easier-admissions alternatives for finishing the supply chain master's(after doing the MITx micromasters) that can be good backup plans including an ASU Masters through edx(which hasn't fully launched yet).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • alab21
(10-31-2018, 12:10 PM)davewill Wrote: Unless you were to take actual courses or TECEPs or UEXCELs, at one of the Big3, there's no role for the Big3 to play in your transfer to Penn State. Penn State either will transfer the various alternative credits you take or they won't. You can't get Penn State to take them because one of the Big3 or your community college* did.

* It is possible that Penn State has an articulation agreement with your local community college that would allow courses taken there or alternative credit used in your associate's to transfer when they otherwise wouldn't. I don't know if that's the case for you.

(11-01-2018, 08:04 AM)allvia Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:39 AM)husker77c Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 12:10 PM)davewill Wrote: Unless you were to take actual courses or TECEPs or UEXCELs, at one of the Big3, there's no role for the Big3 to play in your transfer to Penn State. Penn State either will transfer the various alternative credits you take or they won't. You can't get Penn State to take them because one of the Big3 or your community college* did.

* It is possible that Penn State has an articulation agreement with your local community college that would allow courses taken there or alternative credit used in your associate's to transfer when they otherwise wouldn't. I don't know if that's the case for you.

That is the question, I wouldn't be trying to "force" anyone to take the credits.  Penn State has a transfer credit tool on their website where you can look at the classes from the college you're in and see if they will transfer and what the corresponding course at Penn State would be.  Plugging some classes into the tool I can see that some of the higher level courses from the community college will indeed transfer.  But there Is no CLEP exam for those classes.  Thats what I was asking, can I use the big 3 to test out of the higher level courses at the community college, which those will then transfer to Penn State.  I'm not trying to scam my way through just trying to see if there is a way to test out of higher level classes (if I am capable of doing so) to speed up the time frame.

The Big 3 still has no standing in what you're describing.  If you use a CLEP, or other ACE provider course, to earn credit and your CC accepts them to 'replace' one of their courses in a degree program that the CC offers - it is still not a school course.  They will not transfer as anything other than what they were originally (CLEP/ACE credits); they still have their own original transcript source. If you earn a degree from the CC and request the transcript to be sent to Penn (or any other school) you will still need to send Penn the CLEP/ACE transcripts as well if you want credit for those courses - having them appear on a Big 3 school transcript wouldn't change that requirement. What you're describing is what is call credit laundering - and it doesn't work. Not suggesting that your intention is to 'scam', just educating you on what it is called as you described.  More importantly just because the CC accepts the CLEP/ACE credits for a degree does not mean that Penn will accept those same credits to be transferred in as applied to a Penn degree.  

You do not need to be active with any of the Big 3 in order to earn any of the credits we talk about here (in case that is part of your confusion).  You can take all the CLEPs and not be required to send them to any school at the time you take them, same for any of the other college credit providers we mention here (ie Straighterline, Study.com, Saylor).  Credits that you earn from an ACE provider just get added to your ACE transcript, and when you would apply to Penn you would send from ACE transcript (it would include all your ACE credits regardless of provider - excluding CLEP which has their own transcript system).  Also, this all applies if one of the Big 3 had a transfer agreement with Penn - the CLEP/ACE credits will still not counts as Big 3 school credits, even if they appear on the Big 3 school transcript.

Penn does take these alternative credit sources for Adult &/or Military students that transfer to them - however, like any school it does not mean they take all credit courses from all providers.  I provided the Penn specific link in my other post, so it is important that you inquire with Penn prior to earning alternative credits to see how/if they transfer into Penn (since Penn is your goal)

One final comment, you keep mentioning "higher level" course from the CC - CC courses are always LL (lower level).  The only exception to this would be if the CC in question is one of the very few CCs that are now offering 4 year bachelor degrees.   I suspect that the agreement you're referring to as 'higher level' means that Penn will accept the more advanced level (in subject) courses from the CC. In example they may not take a course called "Liberal Arts Math" but they will accept "College Algebra" - or they may not take the CC Chem I but they will accept the CC's Organic Chem I.

(11-01-2018, 10:59 AM)davewill Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:39 AM)husker77c Wrote: ...  Plugging some classes into the tool I can see that some of the higher level courses from the community college will indeed transfer.  But there Is no CLEP exam for those classes.  Thats what I was asking, can I use the big 3 to test out of the higher level courses at the community college, which those will then transfer to Penn State.  I'm not trying to scam my way through just trying to see if there is a way to test out of higher level classes (if I am capable of doing so) to speed up the time frame. ...

Once again, unless you are actually taking those tests AT one of the Big3, the Big3 have no role to play. Your CC will either take the alternative credit, or they won't. They won't take it because one of the Big3 did. Even if they do, Penn State may not take it as they only promised to take the course from your CC, not from whatever alternative source your used.

The only possible exception to ANY of this would be if Penn State accepts your associate's through a block transfer, and the CC takes the alternative credit directly. However, even then I don't think upper level credit would be granted through the block transfer. Besides, that doesn't sound like what you're describing here with your tool to look up individual course transfers.

(11-04-2018, 05:16 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:27 AM)husker77c Wrote: I would be looking at just going to one of the big three but more classes will transfer from the community college than will transfer from the big 3.

That's a strange assumption, but none the less, if you don't take classes from the big 3 then there is nothing to transfer.  

I'm curious, are you looking at Penn State's on campus program at University Park for your bachelor's degree or are you going through their Global campus?  University Park and Global have very different requirements for admission and transfer.  Global for SURE more alternative credit friendly.

Curiosity #2, do you work in Supply Chain now?  You know the MIT supply chain grad program is the top program in the country and you can now do that master's degree in 1 year.  The first 50% (1 semester) is through edX online *CHEAP* and the second semester (last 50%) is on campus *EXPENSIVE.*  I have been priming my oldest son to pursue that degree since they launched in 2016.

I am currently a Purchasing Manager for an oil and gas construction company.  Ive done this position for the past 15 years.  However the promotion I am getting is to a project manager on our next job.

I am looking at Penn State Global for my BS.

My plan has changed since writing this post.  I am going to skip the CC all together and get my CLEP exams out of the way and apply to Penn State for fall 2019. I have figured that I can possibly finish my BS in 3ish years versus 5+ for the other way.  

I will research the MIT program.  Ideally I would like to get certificates in project management and supply chain eventually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,722 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 586 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,517 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,647 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee