Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
virtual study group for July
Ok, this is probably not going to appeal to the majority of my speedy IC-classmates, however, for those of you who might be thinking about your first exam or would like some socialization while you study, or don't mind using an entire month prepping for 1 exam, I'm doing a virtual study group for July. The idea was born over on my Facebook page. Some of the parents were telling me that they were unsure about how to really use CLEP/DSST in their homeschool, so I suggested they do what I did when I had the exact same worry- take a test! So, the premise is simple, people "sign up" (join the facebook group) and vote for the test that the group will study for. Once an exam has been picked, I'll post an entire study schedule using week-at-a-glance "assignments" which will include videos, readings, etc. This won't be my curriculum, I'll simply be linking and attaching existing resources like Khan, Saylor, etc., but everything will be organized and coordinated into a nice one month plan. I will direct people to IC as an option, but my rules for the group are that we will only use free sources, so IC will be optional. There will even be optional enrichment activities!

Throughout the month, people are encouraged to share their experiences, comment on assignments, and support one another. There is no scolding if you don't do an activity, it's totally intended to provide structure without being dogmatic. At the end of the month, everyone takes their exam (or not- no obligation). Of course you'll have to locate your own testing center and pay the fees required at the center, but everything in the study group (materials, reading, videos, etc) is included and provided when we get rolling.

So, if you'd like to jump in, go over into the group page and click that you want to join. The group page is listed as OPEN right now so anyone can jump in, but once we start, I will CLOSE it to the public so we can share in a more controlled and private setting.

I don't know how many we will have, I'm aiming for 10. Hope to see you there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/HS4CCstu...p/members/
Even though I'm not testing right now, I think this is a GREAT idea!! I'm sure it will help a lot of people be able to get started. I hope it goes well!!
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Sal Khan had better watch out! Wonderful idea.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Thanks guys! I've gotten a great response so far. This is a kind of "train the trainer" idea. The moms really are the ones who will have to coordinate their child's curriculum, so I think this is a great way to get them up to speed. I think we'll also talk about ideas for implementation. If you know anyone, send them over! Smile
You're teaching 'em how to fish, not fishing for 'em.... but while helping and assisting when needed. Great idea!
If anyone is thinking about joining the study group, tomorrow is the last day. We are already approaching 20 and I want to cut it off at that point so it is manageable and social without being too busy. If you end up not finding this thread and the group is already closed- either PM me here (I check every day) or wait until August. I've already had several people ask to do another one! FUN!! Smile
Update:

We just finished week 2. Tomorrow we start week 3 (out of 4).

I had 20 people JUMP onto the group. I, literally, had to close it after the 3rd day because I just kept getting people requesting to join. Not to speak unkindly of my fellow homeschoolers, but let's just say sometimes homeschool moms like to join more than their 24 hour day allows. By the end of this week, I'd private-messaged everyone, and it looks like only 5 are studying. So, I tightened up the membership and hope that I can devote all my attention to the remaining 5. The down-side is that I had to turn a lot of people away, so I'm going to have to think this through better before the next one. (suggestions welcome!)

So, we are studying Educational Psychology, we are using Saylor and Annenberg Media, we are also using Wikipedia and SparksNotes. (free resources for assignments). For optional, I've suggested IC, REA, and Peterson's tests. I've also prepared a 1 page explaining how I compiled the study plan, etc. At the start of every day they get a Question of the Day and at the start of every week they get a weekly assignment sheet. I'm dying to see the results!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 9 601 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
Big Grin Happy July 4th of 2023! LevelUP 2 480 07-05-2023, 03:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 766 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
Big Grin Happy July 4th, Independence Day LevelUP 0 497 07-01-2022, 02:25 PM
Big Grin Happy 4th of July Independence Day! LevelUP 2 740 07-09-2021, 04:10 AM
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,770 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Learning Care Group Acquires Young School bjcheung77 0 596 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sommet Education acquires Invictus Education Group bjcheung77 0 702 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,631 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  I've lost access to the "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY" group Nerdymcnerdface 9 3,641 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Zham