Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
writing prep for grad school
While writing this, I ended up answering my own question, but figured I would post anyway to see if others had better ideas.

Eventually, I would like to get a masters degree in Information Technology or Information Systems with a concentration in Info Sec / Cybersecurity. I believe I am a decent writer, but I know I need to improve in the area of high output, research paper writing that seems to be required by most grad programs. I'm at least two years away from starting grad school, what can I do in that time to improve?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:I believe I am a decent writer, but I know I need to improve in the area of high output, research paper writing that seems to be required by most grad programs. I'm at least two years away from starting grad school, what can I do in that time to improve?

Your last sentence is a run-on, so your grammar needs work. I do understand that most of us (myself included) do not proofread forum posts.

Most people here believe that testing out of English Comp is good. I'm in the tiny minority that disagrees with that. If you're willing to work hard on this, go back to ratemyprofessor and look for a 4.5+ English comp teacher with an easiness score of around 2.0-2.5. It's going to require practice. But you also need constructive feedback in order to improve as well.

The other option is to plan on hiring a proofreading service for your papers.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
You might laugh, but that Capstone class everyone tries to avoid like the plague is actually a good first taste of writing long research papers. A little expensive, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
TrailRunr Wrote:Most people here believe that testing out of English Comp is good. I'm in the tiny minority that disagrees with that.

Ditto. I second that motion.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
TrailRunr Wrote:Most people here believe that testing out of English Comp is good. I'm in the tiny minority that disagrees with that.

It totally depends. For my kids, I will encourage them to take English I & II when they get into college, rather than test out. For myself, I'm a pretty good writer, have always gotten A's & B's on papers, I wrote some for work, I teach my kids writing, and I edit my husband's presentations that he does for work. I write more on a weekly basis than I would have to in an English Comp course! I don't think it would be super helpful to take English Comp II at this point in my life.

Obviously, different people have different needs and experiences. I try not to make blanket statements about what ALL people should do, since it doesn't always apply to everyone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think I am in similar boat. I did test out of English Comp from Clep & Techincal Writing from TECEP; I would say it didn't help.

I had lot of problem finishing Business Comm from SL, I dread the writing so much that I paid for 2 months of SL membership just to finish 3 writings in this class. Plus Strategic mgmt from penn foster I only finished my writing assignment in last few days before the end of the course time I kept procrastinating writing as I know I am not good at it and dread too much.

I just finished my BSBA in March and want to do MSISA/MBA from WGU but not able to decide as I hear there is lot of writing in Masters. I posted a similar question before as to what courses or anything that I can do to improve my writing skills. (I didn't do my studies in US so not familiar with writing based on rubric etc.)
BSBA in General management from TESU (March 2016)

DSST: Intro to Comp 458 , Intro to Busi 423 , HR Management 62, Prin of Supervision 443, Mgmt Info Systems 477, Intro to World Religions 429, Personal Finance 430, Money & Banking 52, Prin of Finance 447, Ethics in America 432
CLEP: College Mathematics 65, Intro to Psychology 71, Princ of Management 60, Prin of Marketing 73, Macroeconomics 65, Microeconomics 60, College Algebra 62, Pre Calculas 57, A&I 56, College Composition 52, Intro to Business Law 60
TECEP: Technical writing, Prin of Financial Accounting, Security Analysis and Portfolio Mgmt, Liberal arts Math, Network Technology 81%, Science of Nutrition (79%), Public Relations (70%)
TESC OL : Prin. of Mgrl Acctg (92% / A- )
TEEX : Security Everyone(95%), IT (94%) and Business (98%)
Sophia: Intro to Statistics (89%)
SL: Business Ethics (92%), Intro to Sociology (93%), Business Comm (82%)
PF: Strategic mgmt (90%)
I too am planning on starting a MBA program and plan to do a little review on writing class project/research papers. I have a book called "They Say / I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein. It is pretty good and was used for my Capstone course. It also has pretty good reviews on Amazon. Another book that looks pretty good, but I haven't bought yet is Becoming an Academic Writer: 50 Exercises for Paced, Productive, and Powerful Writing by Patricia Goodson.

I can't imagine actually taking an English Composition course. I do not regret testing out of mine. You may want tips and pointers on writing well and at a college level, but many of your fellow students will be completely clueless. Chances are that your professor will need to gear his instruction to slower students who have grown up writing a series of short sentences with only their thumbs. It is also likely that these students will have a complete disregard for spelling and grammar. However, I do think that davewill's point is spot on about the Capstone course being an excellent source to learn how to write long research papers.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Ditto what Daithi said. I am currently in grad school and using "They Say/I say". Very helpful,especially in the numerous discussion posts I have to submit and respond to. Along with the online discussion post I am also working on two research papers for two different classes.

May I recommend an additional book - "The Academic Phrasebank" by John Morley. I bought the kindle version on Amazon for $8.00. You can also get some of the info on his website, but the kindle book is a bit more in depth. Here is the website for the book - Academic Phrasebank

This book makes me sound much smarter than I am. Highly recommend along with They Say/I Say!

I also bought the "Phrasebook for Writing Papers and Research in English" by Stephen Howe. I bought the Kindle version on Amazon as well, although I prefer Morley's book. http://www.amazon.com/PhraseBook-Writing...1492959790

Another book I am waiting on from Amazon- "Encouraging Words: A Source Book of Words and Phrases for Dissertation and Report Writers" by Malinda Hayes. I purchased the print version. I will let you know how helpful it is when I receive it.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
ajs1976 Wrote:While writing this, I ended up answering my own question, but figured I would post anyway to see if others had better ideas.

Eventually, I would like to get a masters degree in Information Technology or Information Systems with a concentration in Info Sec / Cybersecurity. I believe I am a decent writer, but I know I need to improve in the area of high output, research paper writing that seems to be required by most grad programs. I'm at least two years away from starting grad school, what can I do in that time to improve?

Undergraduate coursework gets you there. You can do what you'd like, but I CLEPped my gen eds then took my major as courses precisely for the reasons you bring up. I wanted to learn how to do academic writing (citation, APA, MLA, etc.) because I didn't want to learn in grad school at $800/credit.
I never shied away from writing courses. I generally recommend folks take the writing portion seriously. SL is a minimum (a bad one perhaps) but I want someone to critique the work with an eye towards improving upon it. I found both the cornerstane and the capstone at COSC to be very good prep for the incredible amount of writing my MBA at WGU would produce.

I made both of my kids take English Comp 1/2 at the local CC as some of their first courses.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 188 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,371 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,129 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,188 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,856 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,338 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,571 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,446 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,740 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,105 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina