Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
CLEP or DSST? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: CLEP or DSST? (/Thread-CLEP-or-DSST--16115)

Pages: 1 2

CLEP or DSST? - Publius - 09-26-2012

Which one do you like taking and/or studying for better? CLEPs or DSSTs?
Is there a particular reason?

CLEP or DSST? - NAP - 09-26-2012

UL credit for DSST exams is hard to beat, but I still prefer CLEP because of the availability of study guides like REA and practice tests. I feel more prepared with those. Plus, some are 6 credits.

CLEP or DSST? - Westerner - 09-26-2012

Great thread! Looking forward to what people have to say on this topic because I’m studying for my last Clep now and have several DSSTs ahead. So far, I’ve loved taking Cleps :coolgleam: Smile

CLEP or DSST? - Snickerdoodle - 09-26-2012

CLEP is my favorite. Maybe I just like Collegeboard better than Prometric. Tongue I think CLEPs have more straightforward questions.

CLEP or DSST? - Westerner - 09-26-2012

Snickerdoodle Wrote:CLEP is my favorite. Maybe I just like Collegeboard better than Prometric. Tongue I think CLEPs have more straightforward questions.
Wow, I’ve heard people say CLEPs are tricky and DSSTs are straightforward :confused: Smile

CLEP or DSST? - Publius - 09-27-2012

Westerner Wrote:Wow, I’ve heard people say CLEPs are tricky and DSSTs are straightforward :confused: Smile
I've had my share of both tests being more straightforward at times, though I must say that from the exams I've taken DSST has generally been more so.

Reasons I like DSSTs better (in no particular order)
1)There are only 4 options per question instead 5.
2)You can use a calculator (your calculator), on select exams.
3)You have an account and can access all your scores online instead of just getting a print out.
4)Some exams are worth UL credit.
5)They occasionally have discount codes for 'em. Tongue
6)The refreshed exams have percentage passing scores.
7)DSSTs have longer time limits in general. 2 hrs instead of 1.5. Haven't needed that extra time, but maybe once or twice, but it has helped.
8)Prometric publishes some stats on the exams. Okay, so maybe this last reason isn't a real reason. (I just like stats Confusedmilelol: )

I will agree that study material is more scarce. Though buying an used earlier edition of one of the textbooks recommended in the DSST fact sheet works pretty well. That, and reading in the Specific Exam Feedback section of what resources helped for that test covers it pretty well.

CLEP or DSST? - Prloko - 09-27-2012

If the acceptablility by colleges for DSSTs increase, then you will see more study guides (supply and demand at work). I personally prefer DSSTs. I won't expound any further because Publius hit them all on the nail.

CLEP or DSST? - Snickerdoodle - 09-27-2012

Publius is right. I do love me some discount codes and UL credit. Big Grin It may be simply because I started out with CLEPs and somehow got used to them. I only have DSSTs left, and strangely I'm missing the CLEPs, dunno why!

CLEP or DSST? - NAP - 09-27-2012

I should add that my experiences with DSST exams have improved. When I started they were pencil and paper-based, which means a 3 week wait for scores, and they were graded. Having computer-based instant pass/fail scores has taken a lot of the pressure off.

They have been adding more subjects to their list of official practice tests ($5 each). These are always the best way for me to know when I am ready to take the real exam.

I have also learned to use InstantCert flashcards and Free Clep Prep.com as main study guides when appropriate.

I still prefer CLEP because of the study guides and practice tests, but I couldn't have gotten my degree without both exam programs!

CLEP or DSST? - HorseManiac - 09-27-2012

Okay, so I don't think I'm really qualified to say much on this since I've only taken 1 DSST so I can't really compare it to CLEP that well. Anyway, I voted for DSST because when I took the Civil War and Reconstruction DSST, I loved it!! I'm not sure if it was because I had previously taken US History I & II which were based on "Why" things happened and the Civil War DSST was totally fact based so I found that easier.......I guess we'll see after I take some more of them! Big Grin I also like that they offer discount codes and that there are less answers to decide between. On the flip side though, I was disappointed, like NAP said, about the lack of study guides/practice tests. Although, I did get an email awhile ago saying they added a Civil War practice test like a month after I took it. :confused: Oh well! Smile