Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra (/Thread-Accuplacer-Elementary-Algebra)

Pages: 1 2

Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - 2L8 - 10-25-2018

I recently started preparing to retest for the math section of my accuplacer I feel confident it's just that the quadratic equations , polynomials and such are very frustrating! I chickened out of retesting before because I always had this fear of holding myself back when it comes to getting my degree. I think it's weird that if I pass arithmetic but don't pass the elementary algebra I have to take remedial classes for both.
 I've been using the Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide and have been doing well until I hit polynomials.
When it comes to the elementary algebra section of the exam is there something specific I should focus on (ex: linear equations , quadratics , polynomials)? Also has anyone got any tips , other resources or alternatives?

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - mysonx3 - 10-26-2018

I don't think I did this section of the Accuplacer (can't really remember), but for polynomials & quadratic equations in general I highly recommend checking out some of the algebra videos on YayMath.org

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - Merlin - 10-26-2018

(10-26-2018, 01:28 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I don't think I did this section of the Accuplacer (can't really remember), but for polynomials & quadratic equations in general I highly recommend checking out some of the algebra videos on YayMath.org

While I know nothing about the Accuplacer, I can recommend Khan Academy videos for instruction and review on anything math related.

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - armstrongsubero - 10-26-2018

Do the Aleks Beg. Algebra its not for credit but it does help learn math.

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - dfrecore - 10-26-2018

Khan Academy is the best place I've found for Algebra. I think it's much better than ALEKS, especially if you need to hear/watch someone (rather than just read).

If someone is weak in math Aleks is better. Math is not about reading and hearing/watching.

Math is about PRACTICE and REINFORCEMENT and on that Aleks gets 110% credit.

If you want to learn math. Cant beat Aleks, you learn math by practicing math and doing problems, you can supplement with Khan Academy but Aleks is better for learning.

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - cookderosa - 10-26-2018

(10-25-2018, 11:07 PM)2L8 Wrote: I recently started preparing to retest for the math section of my accuplacer I feel confident it's just that the quadratic equations , polynomials and such are very frustrating! I chickened out of retesting before because I always had this fear of holding myself back when it comes to getting my degree. I think it's weird that if I pass arithmetic but don't pass the elementary algebra I have to take remedial classes for both.
 I've been using the Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide and have been doing well until I hit polynomials.
When it comes to the elementary algebra section of the exam is there something specific I should focus on (ex: linear equations , quadratics , polynomials)? Also has anyone got any tips , other resources or alternatives?

To add to your list, I'm not sure if you have access to the InstantCert cards or if you want to reup for a month, but the GED section for math covers:

- Arithmetic
- Fractions and decimals
- Measurement and geometry
- Statistics
- Probability
- Basic algebra

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - 2L8 - 10-26-2018

Thank you very much. I'll be using both Khan and ALEKs. Do you think that Nov. 7th is enough time to learn what I need to know though.

If you are bad at math man and want a degree take my silly advice and take 2 or 3 months and learn math.

A week or 2 is not enough expecially if you plan on taking college algrbra or something else.

RE: Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra - 2L8 - 10-26-2018

(10-26-2018, 05:57 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: If you are bad at math man and want a degree take my silly advice and take 2 or 3 months and learn math.

A week or 2 is not enough expecially if you plan on taking college algrbra or something else.

Thanks  Smile