Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra
I recently started preparing to retest for the math section of my accuplacer I feel confident it's just that the quadratic equations , polynomials and such are very frustrating! I chickened out of retesting before because I always had this fear of holding myself back when it comes to getting my degree. I think it's weird that if I pass arithmetic but don't pass the elementary algebra I have to take remedial classes for both.
 I've been using the Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide and have been doing well until I hit polynomials.
When it comes to the elementary algebra section of the exam is there something specific I should focus on (ex: linear equations , quadratics , polynomials)? Also has anyone got any tips , other resources or alternatives?
I don't think I did this section of the Accuplacer (can't really remember), but for polynomials & quadratic equations in general I highly recommend checking out some of the algebra videos on YayMath.org
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(10-26-2018, 01:28 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I don't think I did this section of the Accuplacer (can't really remember), but for polynomials & quadratic equations in general I highly recommend checking out some of the algebra videos on YayMath.org

While I know nothing about the Accuplacer, I can recommend Khan Academy videos for instruction and review on anything math related.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Do the Aleks Beg. Algebra its not for credit but it does help learn math.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Khan Academy is the best place I've found for Algebra. I think it's much better than ALEKS, especially if you need to hear/watch someone (rather than just read).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If someone is weak in math Aleks is better. Math is not about reading and hearing/watching.

Math is about PRACTICE and REINFORCEMENT and on that Aleks gets 110% credit.

If you want to learn math. Cant beat Aleks, you learn math by practicing math and doing problems, you can supplement with Khan Academy but Aleks is better for learning.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(10-25-2018, 11:07 PM)2L8 Wrote: I recently started preparing to retest for the math section of my accuplacer I feel confident it's just that the quadratic equations , polynomials and such are very frustrating! I chickened out of retesting before because I always had this fear of holding myself back when it comes to getting my degree. I think it's weird that if I pass arithmetic but don't pass the elementary algebra I have to take remedial classes for both.
 I've been using the Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide and have been doing well until I hit polynomials.
When it comes to the elementary algebra section of the exam is there something specific I should focus on (ex: linear equations , quadratics , polynomials)? Also has anyone got any tips , other resources or alternatives?

To add to your list, I'm not sure if you have access to the InstantCert cards or if you want to reup for a month, but the GED section for math covers:

- Arithmetic
- Fractions and decimals
- Measurement and geometry
- Statistics
- Probability
- Basic algebra
Thank you very much. I'll be using both Khan and ALEKs. Do you think that Nov. 7th is enough time to learn what I need to know though.
If you are bad at math man and want a degree take my silly advice and take 2 or 3 months and learn math.

A week or 2 is not enough expecially if you plan on taking college algrbra or something else.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-26-2018, 05:57 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: If you are bad at math man and want a degree take my silly advice and take 2 or 3 months and learn math.

A week or 2 is not enough expecially if you plan on taking college algrbra or something else.

Thanks  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,264 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra udi 8 2,469 08-06-2021, 01:53 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Questions about Calculus I and II, and Linear Algebra tesu-acct-student 7 3,291 09-16-2019, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Zo_ey
  What does the College Algebra test look like on the screen? matermultorum 11 2,840 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  College Algebra CLEP Prep - Saylor or Study.com? tifferbugz 7 1,946 10-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College Math and College Algebra indigoshuffle 4 1,519 08-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Accuplacer garrettburton 2 1,335 08-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  College Algebra ALEKS course for ACE credit? AgedParent 5 5,290 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Do Not Take Accuplacer Tests!!! jansroots 25 7,750 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM
  CLEP College Algebra garrettburton 15 5,313 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM