Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuplacer : Elementary Algebra
(10-26-2018, 10:07 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: If someone is weak in math Aleks is better. Math is not about reading and hearing/watching.

Math is about PRACTICE and REINFORCEMENT and on that Aleks gets 110% credit.

If you want to learn math. Cant beat Aleks, you learn math by practicing math and doing problems, you can supplement with Khan Academy but Aleks is better for learning.

If someone doesn't learn math well from reading it on a screen, then ALEKS is not a good option.  If someone needs to hear/watch it to learn it well, then Khan is a perfectly good option.  I find that I do very well with it.  I did fine with ALEKS when it was review, but absolutely dreaded it, and did terrible, when I head to learn new things.  It just did not work for me as a learning tool.

BTW - I did NOT suggest that the OP try to watch videos as the only method - Khan courses are complete courses, and there is a TON of practice available.  So I'm not sure where you came up with that idea that I was telling them to watch videos but not practice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@dfrecore. You misunderstood me. You can go through all the Khan Academy videos without practicing anything.

With Aleks the only way you can progress is to try and fail and try and fail. If you dont master what you learnt, you cant move on period.

Anyway I'm not debating anything. Its my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

If you want to look at videos then in my view 'MyWhyU' on youtube is much better for begginers.

You have you opinion and I have mine. I also teach math to a local Police Youth Club.

Just my $0.02.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(10-28-2018, 12:12 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @dfrecore. You misunderstood me. You can go through all the Khan Academy videos without practicing anything.

With Aleks the only way you can progress is to try and fail and try and fail. If you dont master what you learnt, you cant move on period.

Anyway I'm not debating anything. Its my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

If you want to look at videos then in my view 'MyWhyU' on youtube is much better for begginers.

You have you opinion and I have mine. I also teach math to a local Police Youth Club.

Just my $0.02.

And, as I said, if you are not good at learning by reading, then ALEKS is not going to be a good choice for someone.  MANY people are not going to be able to get through the course, whether there is a lot of practice or not.  If you cannot learn a concept that way, then it doesn't matter that you can't move on in the course - if you can't move on, then you will probably end up quitting (I did).

So, if you are comparing apples-to-apples, and the actual entire courses (not just watching the KA videos), then ALEKS may work for some people, and not others, and KA may work for some and not others.

I'm guessing that you can't understand that some people learn differently than others.  I've taught math as well, and learned that everyone's brain is different.  I'm sorry you haven't learned that yet.  I fear for any student of yours that feels stupid because they can't learn the way you think they should.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hello , I'm using Khan and ALEKS , I'm leaning towards ALEKs because it seems that I'm learning it a bit faster. Wish me luck 11/7/2018
(10-28-2018, 12:12 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @dfrecore. You misunderstood me. You can go through all the Khan Academy videos without practicing anything.

Khan changed their format maybe 3 or so years ago, so when you "enroll" you start a class and every so many videos are practice problems and quizzes. It's a full blown curriculum, many homeschooling parents use it exclusively.
Our family using ALEKS and Khan:
I used ALEKS exclusively with my oldest son as his math curriculum. We subscribed 10 months out of 12 for each of his 4 years of high school- so we bought 40 months total. He did all the maths starting from Beg. Alg, I can't remember how many there were back then, but with stats and business math if memory serves, I think he did 7 classes total for 21 credits at TESU- they used to give credit for beg alg. Anyway, he bombed his accuplacer. He studied using khan and did better, but he didn't place into a high enough math to skip their developmental level. Anyway, he didn't hurry and we didn't skip anything, he earned college credit in all, but for whatever reason, it wasn't the best for him.
I, otoh, didn't ever take algebra - in high school I took what we now call pre-algebra and called it a day. So, no math for me at all, but fast forward and in my late 30's I tried to pass stats on ALEKS. I couldn't do it- so switched to Khan, and passed the DSST.
I realize people learn differently, but to assume one curriculum is automatically better for everyone is really not true. If there were one best curriculum, everyone would use it- including the schools- and the curriculum companies would go out of business.
My advice- khan is free, try it. IC is $15 (with code) try it. ALEKS is $20 try it. But at the end of the day, you probably will have to allow yourself time to learn, no matter how you do it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College Algebra no Proctor smilingtimes 11 2,266 09-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: QuickDegree223
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra udi 8 2,472 08-06-2021, 01:53 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Questions about Calculus I and II, and Linear Algebra tesu-acct-student 7 3,294 09-16-2019, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Zo_ey
  What does the College Algebra test look like on the screen? matermultorum 11 2,841 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  College Algebra CLEP Prep - Saylor or Study.com? tifferbugz 7 1,948 10-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College Math and College Algebra indigoshuffle 4 1,519 08-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Accuplacer garrettburton 2 1,335 08-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  College Algebra ALEKS course for ACE credit? AgedParent 5 5,291 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Do Not Take Accuplacer Tests!!! jansroots 25 7,754 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM
  CLEP College Algebra garrettburton 15 5,315 03-13-2018, 10:58 AM