Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable (/Thread-Dual-Credit-at-Home-How-to-Pray-for-Your-Children-Printable)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - eriehiker - 01-16-2019

I came across a company called Dual Credit at Home.

They charge $1096 for advice about how to study for CLEP tests.

https://dualcreditathome.com/pricing/

They do provide a free "How to Pray for Your Children" printable.

https://dualcreditathome.com/resources/

Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - jsd - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 01:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.

Big Grin

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - sanantone - 01-16-2019

Another company exploiting gullible, Christian homeschoolers.

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - mysonx3 - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 01:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.

If by "pray" you mean "submit the Modern States voucher request"

In all seriousness, things like this are very attractive to people who know that alternative credit is a thing but don't really know how to use it. Heck, I'm the biggest cheapskate there is and I was on the verge of signing up for College+ in the hopes of getting my head to stop spinning before I found this place.

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - cookderosa - 01-16-2019

I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company. She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general. She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.

(EDIT, Becky emailed me about my co-moderator statement so I checked. Turns out she and I were NOT co-moderators of that group, I was a moderator and she was a member. My apologies for the mix-up.)

It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak. (Week 15, read chapter 6). The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true. CLEP for gen eds- great idea. Study along high school - fine, no problem. Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general. None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC). I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out. I'm a capitalist.
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil. Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype. In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC, you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back. That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid. Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience. Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - sanantone - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company.  She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general.  She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.  It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak.  (Week 15, read chapter 6).  The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true.  CLEP for gen eds- great idea.  Study along high school - fine, no problem.  Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general.  None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC).  I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out.  I'm a capitalist.  
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil.  Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype.  In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC,  you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back.  That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid.  Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience.  Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.

Are you saying that she's selling a binder for $1096?

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - jsd - 01-16-2019

Maybe I should start a life of grifting...

(01-16-2019, 04:47 PM)jsd Wrote: Maybe I should start a life of grifting...

If I didn't have a conscience, I would totally do this.

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - dfrecore - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 04:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:47 PM)jsd Wrote: Maybe I should start a life of grifting...

If I didn't have a conscience, I would totally do this.

That damned conscience!!! Always getting the best of me!

RE: Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable - cookderosa - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 04:09 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company.  She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general.  She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.  It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak.  (Week 15, read chapter 6).  The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true.  CLEP for gen eds- great idea.  Study along high school - fine, no problem.  Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general.  None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC).  I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out.  I'm a capitalist.  
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil.  Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype.  In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC,  you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back.  That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid.  Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience.  Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.

Are you saying that she's selling a binder for $1096?

That is exactly the program. It arrives blank and she sends you pdfs for you to print at home each week to follow the schedule (the technical class terminology for this is "drip" she drips the content to you according to her program's structure.) The schedule uses Speedyprep and Instantcert (memberships not included in her price). That's it- nothing else. The plan takes you through 60 CLEP credits, the gen eds for Charter Oak.
I don't know what she does about the lab science requirement, but a person using COSC has to figure that in at some point, so that's probably on your own.