Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable
I came across a company called Dual Credit at Home.

They charge $1096 for advice about how to study for CLEP tests.

https://dualcreditathome.com/pricing/

They do provide a free "How to Pray for Your Children" printable.

https://dualcreditathome.com/resources/

Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • jsd, sanantone
(01-16-2019, 01:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.

Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Another company exploiting gullible, Christian homeschoolers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • alexf.1990, jsd
(01-16-2019, 01:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Presumably, the family will need to pray when they have no money for the actual CLEP test fee.

If by "pray" you mean "submit the Modern States voucher request"

In all seriousness, things like this are very attractive to people who know that alternative credit is a thing but don't really know how to use it. Heck, I'm the biggest cheapskate there is and I was on the verge of signing up for College+ in the hopes of getting my head to stop spinning before I found this place.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company. She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general. She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.

(EDIT, Becky emailed me about my co-moderator statement so I checked. Turns out she and I were NOT co-moderators of that group, I was a moderator and she was a member. My apologies for the mix-up.)

It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak. (Week 15, read chapter 6). The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true. CLEP for gen eds- great idea. Study along high school - fine, no problem. Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general. None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC). I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out. I'm a capitalist.
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil. Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype. In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC, you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back. That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid. Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience. Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.
(01-16-2019, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company.  She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general.  She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.  It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak.  (Week 15, read chapter 6).  The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true.  CLEP for gen eds- great idea.  Study along high school - fine, no problem.  Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general.  None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC).  I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out.  I'm a capitalist.  
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil.  Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype.  In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC,  you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back.  That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid.  Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience.  Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.

Are you saying that she's selling a binder for $1096?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Maybe I should start a life of grifting...
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-16-2019, 04:47 PM)jsd Wrote: Maybe I should start a life of grifting...

If I didn't have a conscience, I would totally do this.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(01-16-2019, 04:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:47 PM)jsd Wrote: Maybe I should start a life of grifting...

If I didn't have a conscience, I would totally do this.

That damned conscience!!! Always getting the best of me!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(01-16-2019, 04:09 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm very familiar with Becky Maldrow's company.  She is at all the homeschool conventions demonstrating how her son (COSC) went to law school and is assistant attorney general.  She and I were also co-moderators of a homeschool CLEP group for a while.  It's cool - but she's selling a binder that has a schedule in it for you to follow which CLEPs to take for your gen eds at Charter Oak.  (Week 15, read chapter 6).  The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that everything she's saying is true.  CLEP for gen eds- great idea.  Study along high school - fine, no problem.  Attend Charter Oak - ehhh not everyone, but I get the idea, most kids are fine with a distance learning degree in something general.  None of that is untrue, and just that advice alone is very good and can help people save a lot of money (even if they don't use COSC).  I don't even have a problem with her selling her binder - knock yourself out.  I'm a capitalist.  
My problem is that while true, it's also a big fat jar of snake oil.  Like any good snake oil salesman, there is always truth under the hype.  In this case, if you later decide your kid doesn't want to go to COSC,  you've sacrificed their ENTIRE high school education and you can't get that time back.  That's a pretty big ask, to trust her as knowing best for your kid- and assuming its what was best for her kid.  Homeschool parents don't need a product that makes them feel stupid, they need a product to make them smart - they'll be able to figure it out with a little patience.  Hers replaces the parent as the homeschool guidance counselor, a specific pet peeve of mine, and places her in the position of authority in the home.

Are you saying that she's selling a binder for $1096?

That is exactly the program. It arrives blank and she sends you pdfs for you to print at home each week to follow the schedule (the technical class terminology for this is "drip" she drips the content to you according to her program's structure.) The schedule uses Speedyprep and Instantcert (memberships not included in her price). That's it- nothing else. The plan takes you through 60 CLEP credits, the gen eds for Charter Oak.
I don't know what she does about the lab science requirement, but a person using COSC has to figure that in at some point, so that's probably on your own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU UL for dual enrollment credits IReallyNeedADegree 15 1,322 07-14-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Bus formation outside NRA Children's Museum in Texas bjcheung77 2 537 07-16-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Video of Airbnb Guest Refusing to Leave Woman's Home. The Drama Gets Real! LevelUP 4 1,840 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  @Home - Free Learning Resources bjcheung77 2 1,144 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM
  FREE (for now) Ashampoo Home Designer 5 bjcheung77 2 1,134 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Last Post: JWells247
  Ruin a College or Alt-Credit Provider Name… Jonathan Whatley 9 2,130 05-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,579 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Free Nikon Photography classes -non credit cwendy111 0 651 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Last Post: cwendy111