Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback (/Thread-BACS-Degree-Plan-Please-Provide-Feedback)

BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - Zataralos - 02-13-2019

After quite a bit of research and exchanging information with some of you here on this Forum, I've decided to pursue a BACS from TESU. Yes, I know I can probably get an IT BS cheaper at WGU but personally, I'm comfortable spending the $5K.

I've pulled my hair-out (whatever is left) trying to narrow the right course-curriculum that will help me achieve my goals. I'm planning on testing out all the classes I can possible test out and my goal in to complete by EOY (9 month). With 25+ years of professional and life experience, I'm hoping to move through this portion quickly.

In case you're wondering how I got the the cost, I'm assuming I can get test vouchers for all the CLEPs through ModerStates. Even if I can't get them all, I can split them with OnlineDegree and the cost increase would be nominal at best. For the SDC courses, I'm assuming 2 classes a month which makes each class ~$100.

Here's where I'm stuck. I have 3 highlights classes I'm not crazy about and will consider options, especially if they're cheaper Smile.

1. Information Literacy - Information Sciences - Right now that's a course through SDC. Is there an alternative I can use to CLEP?
2. Intro to Criminal Justice - Is there another Knowledge and Human Culture class I can CLEP?
3. To meet the 18 UL credits, I have Cloud Computing as a CS Elective. Can't seem to find an online class for it. Is there a better 300+ UL class I can take?

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations. Looking forward to start banking those credits Smile

RE: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - mysonx3 - 02-13-2019

The Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP is 6 credits at TESU, and could replace both 1 & 2. It's also considered one of the easier CLEPs to pass without studying.

RE: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - natshar - 02-13-2019

So apparently people on this forum are saying that you have to take "living in the information age" instead of as of the cornerstone. So add over $1000 for that to your degree plan, however, it will count for this new course will count for the information literacy requirement. Just FYI.

So lets say you want to have your degree conferred by December 2019
You would have to...

1) applied to TESU been accepted and taken a Tecep or course by May at the latest.
2) Have most of your credits done by June because can takes a month or to get all you everything in. If you wanted until June to do everything that means it would in and evaluated by July.
3) At that point, if you had 100 credits transferred in July you would be able to register for the August capstone which would give you December graduation.
4) 100 credits is about 33 tests/courses and there are 15 weeks until June. So you are looking at about two cleps or courses a week to reach 100 credits by then. Not impossible but definitely hard work.

(02-13-2019, 12:08 AM)Zataralos Wrote: 1. Information Literacy - Information Sciences - Right now that's a course through SDC. Is there an alternative I can use to CLEP?
2. Intro to Criminal Justice - Is there another Knowledge and Human Culture class I can CLEP?
3. To meet the 18 UL credits, I have Cloud Computing as a CS Elective. Can't seem to find an online class for it. Is there a better 300+ UL class I can take?

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations. Looking forward to start banking those credits Smile

1. The analyzing and interpreting literature clep: 6 credits
2. american literature clep: also 6 credits

RE: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - dfrecore - 02-13-2019

Remove the $300 Cornerstone, and replace the Info Lit requirement with the new cornerstone requirement SOS-110 Living in the Information Age for $1125.

Replace CJ with whatever you want.

Prin of Marketing & Management are not GE Electives - they are Free Electives. You can move some of the Free Electives up there instead.

I don't think (although I'm not certain that Intro to Computers won't count in the CS Electives area (too low level). Not sure, someone else here may be able to help.

Foundations of IT Saylor course is not credit-bearing. Neither is Database Fundamentals from Study.com.

RE: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - MNomadic - 02-13-2019

The Teex courses are expired and we're not sure if they're being renewed.
The biology and Nat sci CLEPs are worth 6 credits each so the extra can go towards general electives.
I would double check all of those Saylor courses, some that you mentioned are not worth credit.

RE: BACS Degree Plan - Please Provide Feedback - haxhaxhax - 09-02-2019

(02-13-2019, 11:19 AM)MNomadic Wrote: The Teex courses are expired and we're not sure if they're being renewed.
The biology and Nat sci CLEPs are worth 6 credits each so the extra can go towards general electives.
I would double check all of those Saylor courses, some that you mentioned are not worth credit.

Is it known if the Teex courses were renewed? I ask because https://teex.org/Pages/Program.aspx?catID=231 shows that it has ACE credits. Also, are there any special requirements for being able to take Teex classes for free?