Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Any feedback about Sophia courses? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Any feedback about Sophia courses? (/Thread-Any-feedback-about-Sophia-courses)

Pages: 1 2 3

Any feedback about Sophia courses? - basicunitoflife - 04-04-2019

Overall they seem a bit more "put together" but they're expensive. Anyone have any feedback on them, particularly public speaking?

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - dfrecore - 04-04-2019

People seem to like them, and there are coupons that get them down to $100-$150 per course fairly regularly.

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - CarpeDiem8 - 04-04-2019

I love the courses! I bought Public Speaking, but not currently taking it, it may be next though, not sure.

Any feedback about Sophia courses? - harrypotter - 04-04-2019

I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.

(04-04-2019, 10:23 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.

They don't have any history courses (Art History counts as Art, not as History for the purposes of a History degree).

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - mysonx3 - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 10:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:23 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.

They don't have any history courses (Art History counts as Art, not as History for the purposes of a History degree).

They have US History I & II, at least according to the TESU transfer guide.

(04-04-2019, 10:41 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

They have US History I & II, at least according to the TESU transfer guide.

You're right, I missed those.  I normally list everything in a certain way for each provider on my spreadsheet, and didn't do it with Sophia.  My bad!

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - jsh1138 - 04-05-2019

They're too expensive for most of the common stuff and most of the uncommon stuff is LL so not that useful

I did want to try their Greek Philosopher course but never got around to it.

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - TexasTink - 04-05-2019

Overall, I really liked Sophia. Their customer service is excellent. I enjoyed the courses I took from them. The courses are easy to use and very intuitive. I liked the format of the courses - though sometimes I wished they had a few more quizzes so I could be sure I was grasping all the concepts. For the courses that had multiple teachers, it was nice to be able to view them and then pick the one that jives with your learning style best. I hated their proctoring service, though it seems to be changing over to something nicer now. I only took 3 classes through them because they’re so much more expensive than other providers. Even with the half off I got on their courses, it’s a good chunk more per course than almost everyone else. They’re good quality courses though and I enjoyed the platform overall.

RE: Any feedback about Sophia courses? - SweetSecret - 04-06-2019

I started to take the project management course when it was free but never finished. Wasn't exactly my style. I got spoiled with the TECEP exams. I have finished a number of courses on other sites since then. Still not sure if I would attempt another course again.