Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any feedback about Sophia courses?
Overall they seem a bit more "put together" but they're expensive. Anyone have any feedback on them, particularly public speaking?
People seem to like them, and there are coupons that get them down to $100-$150 per course fairly regularly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I love the courses! I bought Public Speaking, but not currently taking it, it may be next though, not sure.
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(04-04-2019, 10:23 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.

They don't have any history courses (Art History counts as Art, not as History for the purposes of a History degree).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-04-2019, 10:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:23 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I just tried out a course just to see how it’s set up. In my opinion it is by far the funnest experience in earning credit within the alternative credit eco-system. They’re having a promotion right now where if you purchase 3 courses you get them at 50% off each and you even get a 2 month payment plan (for a $10 fee). I’m thinking about a second BA in history and will be back to try out some of their history courses.

They don't have any history courses (Art History counts as Art, not as History for the purposes of a History degree).

They have US History I & II, at least according to the TESU transfer guide.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • harrypotter
(04-04-2019, 10:41 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

They have US History I & II, at least according to the TESU transfer guide.

You're right, I missed those.  I normally list everything in a certain way for each provider on my spreadsheet, and didn't do it with Sophia.  My bad!
They're too expensive for most of the common stuff and most of the uncommon stuff is LL so not that useful

I did want to try their Greek Philosopher course but never got around to it.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Overall, I really liked Sophia. Their customer service is excellent. I enjoyed the courses I took from them. The courses are easy to use and very intuitive. I liked the format of the courses - though sometimes I wished they had a few more quizzes so I could be sure I was grasping all the concepts. For the courses that had multiple teachers, it was nice to be able to view them and then pick the one that jives with your learning style best. I hated their proctoring service, though it seems to be changing over to something nicer now. I only took 3 classes through them because they’re so much more expensive than other providers. Even with the half off I got on their courses, it’s a good chunk more per course than almost everyone else. They’re good quality courses though and I enjoyed the platform overall.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
I started to take the project management course when it was free but never finished. Wasn't exactly my style. I got spoiled with the TECEP exams. I have finished a number of courses on other sites since then. Still not sure if I would attempt another course again.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 446 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 895 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,209 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 121 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 513 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,446 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 750 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,001 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 262 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 998 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab