Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: EU - Excelsior University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-EU-Excelsior-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 (/Thread-New-Excelsior-College-Cornerstone-Initiative-starting-January-2020)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - TheMaskedMutant - 06-07-2019

"Excelsior College is looking for qualified teaching faculty for the college’s new Cornerstone initiative, beginning in January 2020."

https://jobs.excelsior.edu/job/remote-adjunct-faculty-cornerstone-courses/

I happened to come across this as I was perusing for remote adjunct instructor positions (I like to read about stuff that I can't do Tongue ).  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - sanantone - 06-07-2019

Ew. Now all the Big 3 have cornerstones.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - udi - 06-07-2019

They have to get in on the cash grab. Might as well just go to WGU and make yourself crazy with ten courses for one semester. If they have what you're looking for.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - jsd - 06-07-2019

Remember when TESU didn't even have a capstone? I don't mean just when you could test out of the BSBA capstone, but there was a time where the requirement just wasn't there.

Now not only do they all have capstones, but like sanantone said, this means they'll all have completely useless Cornerstones as well.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - dfrecore - 06-07-2019

Awesome, just what we were looking for.  Not shocking.

I will say that if you're looking at schools, a LOT of them have capstones (although they may have different names).  But the cornerstone thing is also prevalent, I've seen it at CC's & private schools quite a bit, and it's not new.  Many CA CC's have had students take an online cornerstone (maybe called "orientation to college" or "intro to college") and the private online schools have "intro to online learning".  Very common, for like 20-25 years (based on the transcripts I see).  Started back in the early 90's at a lot of places.

It's too bad that EC jumped on the bandwagon, but again, not surprising.

BTW - this now puts EC back at the same price as TESU - meaning COSC will DEFINITELY be the better way to go for most people, especially for a BALS/BSLS, and certainly for an AA (EC requires a capstone for their AA's).

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - davewill - 06-07-2019

(06-07-2019, 08:58 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: ...  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

It's basically a course on how to study and find information online. It used to be called "Student success" or some such, and was often not even given college credit in the "old days". I'm sure it's helpful with a bunch of incoming freshmen who only have HS experience. I would think it's almost useless for transfer students who have already been taking and passing college courses.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - natshar - 06-07-2019

There isn't any more information about the cornerstone besides the job posting. We don't know it if will be required for all students and all degrees. Maybe students with a certain number of transfer credits are exempt. Maybe if students took a similar type course somewhere else they can transfer it in. We don't know yet. Plus it doesn't even start until January.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - dfrecore - 06-07-2019

(06-07-2019, 01:17 PM)natshar Wrote: There isn't any more information about the cornerstone besides the job posting. We don't know it if will be required for all students and all degrees. Maybe students with a certain number of transfer credits are exempt. Maybe if students took a similar type course somewhere else they can transfer it in. We don't know yet. Plus it doesn't even start until January.

I'm going to guess that it's a worst-case scenario, because VERY rarely do colleges put this kind of thing into effect and then not apply it to everyone.  It's an easy money-grab, especially if who you're competing with does it as well.  You can't really say "well fine, then I'll just go to COSC or TESU and not have a cornerstone."

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - Marcus Aurelius - 06-08-2019

This is 100% about money. These cornerstone and capstone courses serve no other purpose.

RE: New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020 - learflyer - 06-08-2019

(06-07-2019, 12:54 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:58 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: ...  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

It's basically a course on how to study and find information online. It used to be called "Student success" or some such, and was often not even given college credit in the "old days". I'm sure it's helpful with a bunch of incoming freshmen who only have HS experience. I would think it's almost useless for transfer students who have already been taking and passing college courses.

EC already has Information Literacy as a required course. It highlights how to write a paper basically.   Is the Cornerstone different than that?