Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Question about resume - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Question about resume (/Thread-Question-about-resume)

Question about resume - Imbanewbie - 08-13-2019

Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?

RE: Question about resume - allvia - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 07:48 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?

Keep it simple - "Here’s an example of the perfect resume, according to Harvard career experts"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-example-of-the-perfect-resume-according-to-harvard-career-experts.html

RE: Question about resume - bjcheung77 - 08-13-2019

That link has a workable sample, it's pretty well made. For myself, I do it completely differently, I usually have 1 page CV, 1 to 2 page resume. I would keep the pages to a minimum as HR or the managers usually only like to read a snippet of info that really pops up with the most critical info for them... I've had to revise many friends and other people who send me resumes/cv's... most of them have at least 5 to 6 pages of useless info and I shrink it down to two.

RE: Question about resume - Imbanewbie - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That link has a workable sample, it's pretty well made.  For myself, I do it completely differently, I usually have 1 page CV, 1 to 2 page resume.  I would keep the pages to a minimum as HR or the managers usually only like to read a snippet of info that really pops up with the most critical info for them...  I've had to revise many friends and other people who send me resumes/cv's... most of them have at least 5 to 6 pages of useless info and I shrink it down to two.

Hi bjcheung,

Do you have some good website to use the resume format? I can compare.

(08-13-2019, 08:10 AM)allvia Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:48 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?

Keep it simple - "Here’s an example of the perfect resume, according to Harvard career experts"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-example-of-the-perfect-resume-according-to-harvard-career-experts.html

Thank you, It is very good resource. I may use similar format.

RE: Question about resume - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 08-14-2019

You can keep off things like age and a list of references. For U.S. hiring at least, photos are a no-go, while they are generally expected for positions in other countries around the world. It depends on where you are applying.

I always preferred to receive just a crisp one-page resume with prior experience and accomplishments that were tailored to the open position. I keep mine only one single page, too.

If you want a sample template and quick guide, I've created one that I've used with students. Feel free to message if you like, and good luck to you either way!

RE: Question about resume - Imbanewbie - 08-14-2019

(08-14-2019, 02:25 AM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote: You can keep off things like age and a list of references. For U.S. hiring at least, photos are a no-go, while they are generally expected for positions in other countries around the world. It depends on where you are applying.

I always preferred to receive just a crisp one-page resume with prior experience and accomplishments that were tailored to the open position. I keep mine only one single page, too.

If you want a sample template and quick guide, I've created one that I've used with students. Feel free to message if you like, and good luck to you either way!
It will be very helpful. I will send you messages

RE: Question about resume - davewill - 08-18-2019

I stick to a 2 page, so I can print it on one sheet, both sides. I put the most important stuff on the first page so that if they don't bother with page 2, it's OK. BTW, the education section is on page 2 since I figure that if someone really wants to know, they'll probably be willing to check the second page. I also don't think a picture is a great idea. Whether you look good, bad or in between, somebody is bound to not like what they see.

I have a funny thing that happened recently. My resume lists my degree, but doesn't list a date since I don't particularly want draw attention to the fact my degree is recent. I would do the same if I got my degree straight out of HS so as not to draw attention to my age. Anyway, I did a job interview. Now, I'm a very experienced software engineer so my education usually never gets looked at except just to see that it's there. This one guy, however, wanted to know when I attended TESU and what my GPA was. Seemed happy enough with my answer, but it WAS strange.

RE: Question about resume - Imbanewbie - 08-21-2019

(08-18-2019, 06:31 PM)davewill Wrote: I stick to a 2 page, so I can print it on one sheet, both sides. I put the most important stuff on the first page so that if they don't bother with page 2, it's OK. BTW, the education section is on page 2 since I figure that if someone really wants to know, they'll probably be willing to check the second page. I also don't think a picture is a great idea. Whether you look good, bad or in between, somebody is bound to not like what they see.

I have a funny thing that happened recently. My resume lists my degree, but doesn't list a date since I don't particularly want draw attention to the fact my degree is recent. I would do the same if I got my degree straight out of HS so as not to draw attention to my age. Anyway, I did a job interview. Now, I'm a very experienced software engineer so my education usually never gets looked at except just to see that it's there. This one guy, however, wanted to know when I attended TESU and what my GPA was. Seemed happy enough with my answer, but it WAS strange.
Maybe the HR wants to look for a candidate with high gpa and other criteria. At the end, what happen?

RE: Question about resume - davewill - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 07:17 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Maybe the HR wants to look for a candidate with high gpa and other criteria. At the end, what happen?

That's the strange part, he was an engineer, not the recruiter. Anyway, they put off filling the position, but the recruiter followed up saying he might be getting back to me in not too long. I told him that if I'm still available, I'd be interested.