Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree (/Thread-Aleks-Math-for-Liberal-Arts-Degree)

Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - ragkrish - 02-07-2020

Hi Everyone!

I am thinking of taking the Aleks math course. I am petrified of math because am horrible at it. So how does one take the course and do I have to take a proctored test at the end of the course too? Thanks for all your help!

RE: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - dfrecore - 02-07-2020

If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else. The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level. Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts. Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy. It's free, video-based, and very well done. If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free. The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time. And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC. Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring. Many people do better with this optin than online.

RE: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - bjcheung77 - 02-07-2020

Since you're going for a BALS - Hands down the CSM Learn course would be the easiest math/stats course. Which school are you looking at applying to?

RE: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - ragkrish - 02-07-2020

(02-07-2020, 05:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else.  The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level.  Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts.  Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy.  It's free, video-based, and very well done.  If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free.  The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time.  And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC.  Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring.  Many people do better with this optin than online.

Thanks dfrecore! I will have to look into Khan academy. I am planning to do a BS in psychology.

RE: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - armstrongsubero - 02-07-2020

@ragkrish I say do the CSM course then college algebra. You may be bad at math but if you want to do the BS in Psyc, you will have to do statistics as well, so you will need to get those math skills up.

RE: Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree - dfrecore - 02-08-2020

(02-07-2020, 08:02 PM)ragkrish Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are horrible at math, I'm going to recommend that you do something else.  The lowest-level math ALEKS has for credit is College Algebra, and you don't need anything that high of a level.  Instead, I would recommend College Math, or Math for Liberal Arts.  Both are MUCH easier than ALEKS.

Also, you can learn math for free with a variety of options, but one of the best is Khan Academy.  It's free, video-based, and very well done.  If you get through Algebra I (high school), then you can do the ModernStates.org College Math prep course, then go take the College Math CLEP test for free.  The benefit for this - in addition to it being free start-to-finish, is that you're not limited on time.  And more schools will accept it as the lowest-level math (so you don't have to go with a particular school specifically because they'll accept the math course/exam you've completed).

One other option: taking it butt-in-seat at your local CC.  Most schools have resources, like a math lab, and free tutoring.  Many people do better with this optin than online.

Thanks dfrecore! I will have to look into Khan academy. I am planning to do a BS in psychology.

Which school do you want to go to?  That makes a difference.  At TESU, you need both a low-level math for your GE requirements, and then a Statistics course for the major.  At COSC, you need Statistics in Psychology, but not another math course at all. TESU will take CSMLearn for your math requirement, COSC won't (although it can be used as an elective).