Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? (/Thread-2-Bachelors-BLS-BA-OR-BABA-possible)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - bjcheung77 - 03-11-2021

Someone private messaged me on the other board and asked about UMPI, double degree option.  If I recall correctly, similar to some schools, UMPI doesn't award a BLS as a second degree if you already have a general studies or liberal arts degree, you'll have to go for a BA or BABA with a concentration or major.  But they will allow the BLS as the first degree and you can get a BA or BABA with a concentration later.

I'm guessing some schools like COSC or Excelsior is the same thing, if you have a BALA or BSLA from Excelsior, they will not allow another Liberal Arts degree, but the workaround is to actually have a BA liberal arts or general studies degree from somewhere else, they'll allow you to get another Bachelors in liberal arts/general studies.  The reason is because the concentration in the new degree would be different, hmm... so anyways...

Does anyone know if UMPI allow two degrees? If so, which degree goes first? I assume it's the BLS then you can do the BA or BABA, but no the other way around... such as a BA/BABA first and then a BLS, I wonder if the concentration is different, if they allow that... well, maybe it's best to get them to shoot off an email to UMPI.

RE: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - rachel83az - 03-12-2021

No, you have it backward, based on what ss20ts has said. The liberal studies degree is the terminal degree. You're not allowed to continue after that. They might let you do a BA or BABA first and then a BLS but not the other way around.

RE: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - asianphd - 03-12-2021

Edit.
Sorry, I posted here by mistake.

Take a look at this: https://online.glyndwr.ac.uk/msc-computer-science/

RE: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - TINASAM - 03-12-2021

Is that accredited? The price point is wonderful and they have a masters degree there I'd love to have!

RE: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - ss20ts - 03-12-2021

(03-11-2021, 09:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Someone private messaged me on the other board and asked about UMPI, double degree option.  If I recall correctly, similar to some schools, UMPI doesn't award a BLS as a second degree if you already have a general studies or liberal arts degree, you'll have to go for a BA or BABA with a concentration or major.  But they will allow the BLS as the first degree and you can get a BA or BABA with a concentration later.

Does anyone know if UMPI allow two degrees? If so, which degree goes first? I assume it's the BLS then you can do the BA or BABA, but no the other way around... such as a BA/BABA first and then a BLS, I wonder if the concentration is different, if they allow that... well, maybe it's best to get them to shoot off an email to UMPI.

You are all kinds of jumbled up. UMPI allows second degrees in certain situations. If you've come from another school, it's bit different. If you'e degrees are completed at UMPI, you cannot go for a second degree if you have competed their BLS because it's a terminal degree. You also need to go for completely different degrees. Like you can complete the BA in Business Administration/Project Management and then complete a BA in English. You cannot complete another BA in Business Administration in another concentration. I was also told that I could not complete the BUS in Business Administration (no matter the concentration) then go for the BLS because there's too much overlap with the concentrations and minors. 

You should tell your friend to join the forum and ask the questions here. Much easier than relaying the info. 

(03-12-2021, 11:45 AM)TINASAM Wrote: Is that accredited? The price point is wonderful and they have a masters degree there I'd love to have!

You've already applied to UMPI! 

I've applied to UMPI for a bachelor's. I'm asking about a masters. These are different degrees.

You seem so negative to my questions when I'm just trying to learn how things work.

(03-12-2021, 12:29 PM)TINASAM Wrote: I've applied to UMPI for a bachelor's. I'm asking about a masters. These are different degrees.

You seem so negative to my questions when I'm just trying to learn how things work.

Not negative at all. BLS and BA are all bachelor's degrees. This thread is about bachelor's degrees at UMPI. UMPI only has 1 master's degree - the MAOL. You can read about the MAOl here:

https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/maol/

I was replying to AsianPHD, who posted a master's degree link.
Miscommunication.

Think I'm going to just go on read only here and stop posting.

RE: 2 Bachelors = BLS & BA OR BABA - possible? - rachel83az - 03-12-2021

(03-12-2021, 12:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: I was replying to AsianPHD, who posted a master's degree link.
Miscommunication.

Check out the graduate degree section. AsianPHD reposted the link in a thread there. That'd be a good place for questions about it.  Smile

(03-12-2021, 12:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: I was replying to AsianPHD, who posted a master's degree link.
Miscommunication.

It helps if you reply to the person and include their post so we know what specifically you're responding to. There were some comments between your post and theirs. Go check out the grad section. There's a whole area about grad schools. It's easy to spend hours on there checking things out.