Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? (/Thread-Where-to-put-Intro-to-Bus-in-Degree-Plan)

Pages: 1 2

Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - k-k-k-katy - 05-03-2021

Okay, it happened again...I read *somewhere* here that Sophia's Introduction to Business in NOT a General Education Elective.  I look up after a few hours of researching, taking notes, and I've got like 15-20 tabs open but NOT the one that I want to reference again.  Ah well...in the meantime...did I read that right?  If I cannot use it as a Gen Ed elective is there any chance Intro to Business can go into the AOS???  I can't use Intro to Business as a free elective (that's full).  Thank you for patiently answering my questions, I am very grateful!

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - natshar - 05-03-2021

Intro to Business is a free elective only at TESU.

But it is good to take even if you don't need it for a business degree just to gain knowledge of introductory concepts if you don't have any business experience or knowledge.

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - rachel83az - 05-03-2021

The only way to "use" Intro to Business if your electives are full would be to (also) pursue a business degree. That's not going to be for everyone, obviously.

For what it's worth, I have a bunch of unused credits sitting at the bottom of my degrees. And I'm probably going to wind up with even more (even though I'm trying not to).

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - k-k-k-katy - 05-03-2021

(05-03-2021, 10:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The only way to "use" Intro to Business if your electives are full would be to (also) pursue a business degree. That's not going to be for everyone, obviously.

For what it's worth, I have a bunch of unused credits sitting at the bottom of my degrees. And I'm probably going to wind up with even more (even though I'm trying not to).

So, no go as a General Elective, then, too bad.  Yes, I already have the free electives filled.  I am sorry I did not specify the degree plan I am working on is the (TESU) BSBA - Marketing.  So...could Intro to Business be used for that particular degree?  And, if yes, where would it fit into that plan?  I've put the brakes on the courses until I can figure The Plan-thing out...I am such a frugal person I guess it never occurred to me that I would take unnecessary courses.  Thanks again for the help!

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - dfrecore - 05-03-2021

At TESU, Intro to Business is a Free Elective.

Going forward, just know that business courses are free electives, unless they have the word "communication" in them (Managerial Communication, Business Communication) or "ethics" in them (Business Ethics, Management Ethics) or "psychology" in them (Industrial/Organizational Psychology). And at TESU, Org Behavior is also a Psych course. These are all courses that are business but can also be used in the AoS of a BALS degree, or can be used in a Business degree.

You can always check the course provider to see what they say about where the course will fit, or ask here as well.

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - k-k-k-katy - 05-03-2021

(05-03-2021, 11:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: At TESU, Intro to Business is a Free Elective.

Going forward, just know that business courses are free electives, unless they have the word "communication" in them (Managerial Communication, Business Communication) or "ethics" in them (Business Ethics, Management Ethics) or "psychology" in them (Industrial/Organizational Psychology).  And at TESU, Org Behavior is also a Psych course.  These are all courses that are business but can also be used in the AoS of a BALS degree, or can be used in a Business degree.

You can always check the course provider to see what they say about where the course will fit, or ask here as well.

thank you!  Hopefully, I am close to a break-through of understanding...I hear it can happen suddenly :-).  I'm not "deer in the headlights" I'm more like the kitty chasing the laser light, :/

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - rachel83az - 05-04-2021

For Sophia, it's usually better to just complete everything except for a handful of classes than it is to try to figure out everything perfectly. You'll waste less time and less time wasted = less money wasted.

But if you want things as easy as possible, there are roadmaps/plans on the wiki:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BSBA_Marketing_Degree_Plan

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - dfrecore - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For Sophia, it's usually better to just complete everything except for a handful of classes than it is to try to figure out everything perfectly. You'll waste less time and less time wasted = less money wasted.

But if you want things as easy as possible, there are roadmaps/plans on the wiki:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BSBA_Marketing_Degree_Plan

I would never advise someone to just complete most Sophia courses - that to me is a time waster.  Instead, I would say make a plan first, fit in everything you've already taken, run it by here first to make sure things will go where you think they will, and then start.  I would be very discouraged if I took a bunch of courses that wouldn't fit into my degree plan - that might derail me before I ever really got going.

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - rachel83az - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 08:09 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would never advise someone to just complete most Sophia courses - that to me is a time waster.  Instead, I would say make a plan first, fit in everything you've already taken, run it by here first to make sure things will go where you think they will, and then start.  I would be very discouraged if I took a bunch of courses that wouldn't fit into my degree plan - that might derail me before I ever really got going.

I honestly don't think it's a waste of time, at least not with (most) Sophia classes. But, in case k-k-k-katy thinks so, I did provide the links to the roadmaps on the wiki. Most of the research has already been done; makes things easier.

RE: Where to put Intro to Bus in Degree Plan? - dfrecore - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 09:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 08:09 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would never advise someone to just complete most Sophia courses - that to me is a time waster.  Instead, I would say make a plan first, fit in everything you've already taken, run it by here first to make sure things will go where you think they will, and then start.  I would be very discouraged if I took a bunch of courses that wouldn't fit into my degree plan - that might derail me before I ever really got going.

I honestly don't think it's a waste of time, at least not with (most) Sophia classes. But, in case k-k-k-katy thinks so, I did provide the links to the roadmaps on the wiki. Most of the research has already been done; makes things easier.

If I only need, or can only use, 2 Sophia courses - then it's a waste of time for me to take more than that.  Why WOULDN'T it be a waste of time to take things you know you can't use?