Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Second Degree Policy - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: EU - Excelsior University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-EU-Excelsior-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Second Degree Policy (/Thread-Second-Degree-Policy)

Pages: 1 2 3

Second Degree Policy - harrypotter - 08-17-2021

Anyone know if GE requirements are waived for students seeking second bachelor degrees?

RE: Second Degree Policy - ss20ts - 08-17-2021

I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.

RE: Second Degree Policy - harrypotter - 08-17-2021

(08-17-2021, 08:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.

30 after?! Yikes :o

RE: Second Degree Policy - ss20ts - 08-17-2021

(08-17-2021, 08:59 PM)harrypotter Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 08:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I inquired about a second degree from EC last year. I was told that the gen eds are waived. They also require an ADDITIONAL 30 UL credits to be completed AFTER your first degree is conferred. Yes. 30 MORE UL credits. Not 30 credits. 30 UL credits. I asked 3 times because I didn't think they understood what I was asking, but they did.

30?! Yikes :o

Yeah. 30 UL credits. I was like yeah forget it. I'll go to grad school. That's only 36 credits for the most part.

RE: Second Degree Policy - Skirtlet - 09-20-2021

Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?

RE: Second Degree Policy - ss20ts - 09-20-2021

(09-20-2021, 04:00 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?

Nope. You have to complete a whole brand new 30 UL credits dated after your degree is conferred. They didn't really seem like they wanted people to complete a second degree.

RE: Second Degree Policy - dfrecore - 09-21-2021

(09-20-2021, 04:00 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Wow. They don't let you use other credits you didn't apply to previous degrees, just ones you took after conferral date of 1st degree?

TESU has the same policy (sort of) - 30 new credits in the AoS.  Your previous credits can be used in the AoS if they meet the requirements, and most AoS's are 45-60cr, so that's not really an issue.  So for example, if you took macroecon and microecon previously in a BALS degree, and you want to do a BSBA, they will give you credits for those.  But you'll need 30 new credits in the Core/AoS for that degree, so there's a max of what you can bring in.

Also, I don't think most schools look at "credits you didn't apply to previous degrees;" they generally waive GE's and Free Electives, and then look at everything you took, and apply what counts towards the new degree you're looking at. They don't care what was "used" since you can't really use up credits like that.

RE: Second Degree Policy - ss20ts - 09-21-2021

(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

TESU has the same policy (sort of) - 30 new credits in the AoS.  Your previous credits can be used in the AoS if they meet the requirements, and most AoS's are 45-60cr, so that's not really an issue.  So for example, if you took macroecon and microecon previously in a BALS degree, and you want to do a BSBA, they will give you credits for those.  But you'll need 30 new credits in the Core/AoS for that degree, so there's a max of what you can bring in.

Also, I don't think most schools look at "credits you didn't apply to previous degrees;" they generally waive GE's and Free Electives, and then look at everything you took, and apply what counts towards the new degree you're looking at. They don't care what was "used" since you can't really use up credits like that.

At EC, the additional 30 credits must be UL.

RE: Second Degree Policy - dfrecore - 09-21-2021

(09-21-2021, 11:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

At EC, the additional 30 credits must be UL.

That's why I said "(sort of)" but I was explaining to Skirtlet about "using up" credits rather than what EC would want you to bring in.

RE: Second Degree Policy - Skirtlet - 12-08-2021

Does Excelsior accept 30 'new' credits from sophia.org or similar for the second bachelor degree?

I guess I could see a new BA degree being useful in a major career change from an initial BA, but Excelsior degrees don't seem that specific. Even then, a master's degree wouldn't be many more credits than 30 and could accomplish the same task. I like the idea of getting degrees as cheap as possible, but 30 credits is quite a bit unless they accept sophia or alternative credits for the 30 'new' credits. I've got a friend who wants a second bachelor's degree for the same of modernizing her resume. I could see the utility for people long beyond their initial BA wanting to do a BA in a more 'modern' field, such as a BA in digital marketing.I think she should get a second masters, but perhaps there are benefits to a second BA. If she could get it using sophia.org credits or alternative credits, I think it would be a nice cheap degree for her.