Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
History/Poli Sci in one session? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: History/Poli Sci in one session? (/Thread-History-Poli-Sci-in-one-session)

History/Poli Sci in one session? - arbitrarysky - 09-14-2021

Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I have taken many fast-track classes in the past and have a solid background in both subjects. My only concern is if courses are scheduled across multiple sessions like the educational studies minor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll only have 10-11 courses to finish at UMPI (depending on if I take the lower level poli sci at SDC or UMPI). I have 70+ credits from RA community colleges and a brief stint at university, plus several Straighterline and CLEP credits.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - bjcheung77 - 09-14-2021

FWIW, I think it's going to be two terms as well... and that is if you get close to the 10-11 courses to finish up. As I do believe most courses are available each term, but I don't think all courses are available in that 1 term. It would be safer to say, two terms at most... as you're dealing with a History or Poli Sci Major vs an Educational Studies concentration/minor.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - TMcClary - 09-14-2021

I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today. I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint. The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - ss20ts - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 06:07 PM)arbitrarysky Wrote: Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I have taken many fast-track classes in the past and have a solid background in both subjects. My only concern is if courses are scheduled across multiple sessions like the educational studies minor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll only have 10-11 courses to finish at UMPI (depending on if I take the lower level poli sci at SDC or UMPI). I have 70+ credits from RA community colleges and a brief stint at university, plus several Straighterline and CLEP credits.

I am not aware of any degree program that can be completed in 1 term. Every course is not offered every term. It has taken everyone at least 2 terms on here so far.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - foxotix - 09-20-2021

(09-14-2021, 06:07 PM)arbitrarysky Wrote: Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I completed the History/Political Science Degree in one semester. While I did come into it with a previous bachelors degree, I only transferred in US History I & II in from the core classes. While every course is not offered in a term, they can be added if you are done with everything offered in the term. In terms of a semester, I believe that it should be easily obtainable. All classes were relatively quick and easy essays. I don't think I spent more than a couple of hours on any final and graduated SCL. If you have any other questions, please ask!

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - dfrecore - 09-21-2021

The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - ss20ts - 09-21-2021

(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.

There are 2 terms in each semester at UMPI.

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - ReyMysterioso - 09-21-2021

(09-14-2021, 10:47 PM)TMcClary Wrote: I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today.  I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint.  The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.

What history credits did you transfer in/where did you get them?

RE: History/Poli Sci in one session? - TMcClary - 09-21-2021

(09-21-2021, 12:21 PM)raycathode Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 10:47 PM)TMcClary Wrote: I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today.  I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint.  The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.

What history credits did you transfer in/where did you get them?
I was a history major at APU/AMU a few years ago. It was a great program but adult life got in the way at that time. But I took several UL history courses there… Historical Methods, Medieval Europe, and Colonial America.

(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.
Yep, I totally misread it as 1 term. Finishing in 1 semester if you transfer in as much as possible is totally doable. I will have 6 classes done term 1.