Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History/Poli Sci in one session?
Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I have taken many fast-track classes in the past and have a solid background in both subjects. My only concern is if courses are scheduled across multiple sessions like the educational studies minor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll only have 10-11 courses to finish at UMPI (depending on if I take the lower level poli sci at SDC or UMPI). I have 70+ credits from RA community colleges and a brief stint at university, plus several Straighterline and CLEP credits.
Associate of Arts in Social and Behavior Sciences (May 2022)
Bachelor of General Studies (In Progress, Texas A&M University-Commerce)
FWIW, I think it's going to be two terms as well... and that is if you get close to the 10-11 courses to finish up. As I do believe most courses are available each term, but I don't think all courses are available in that 1 term. It would be safer to say, two terms at most... as you're dealing with a History or Poli Sci Major vs an Educational Studies concentration/minor.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today. I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint. The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.
BA History & Political Science - History Concentration - UMPI - 2021
Done- Waiting for degree conferral 

AA Graphic Design - Penn Foster - 2010 
(09-14-2021, 06:07 PM)arbitrarysky Wrote: Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I have taken many fast-track classes in the past and have a solid background in both subjects. My only concern is if courses are scheduled across multiple sessions like the educational studies minor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll only have 10-11 courses to finish at UMPI (depending on if I take the lower level poli sci at SDC or UMPI). I have 70+ credits from RA community colleges and a brief stint at university, plus several Straighterline and CLEP credits.

I am not aware of any degree program that can be completed in 1 term. Every course is not offered every term. It has taken everyone at least 2 terms on here so far.
(09-14-2021, 06:07 PM)arbitrarysky Wrote: Is it possible to finish the History/Poli Sci major in one semester? I was debating between the BLS with educational studies minor or BA History/Poli Sci. I found out on another thread that the educational studies minor takes two sessions minimum due to how courses are scheduled. So I am now leaning towards History/Poli Sci.

I completed the History/Political Science Degree in one semester. While I did come into it with a previous bachelors degree, I only transferred in US History I & II in from the core classes. While every course is not offered in a term, they can be added if you are done with everything offered in the term. In terms of a semester, I believe that it should be easily obtainable. All classes were relatively quick and easy essays. I don't think I spent more than a couple of hours on any final and graduated SCL. If you have any other questions, please ask!
The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.

There are 2 terms in each semester at UMPI.
(09-14-2021, 10:47 PM)TMcClary Wrote: I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today.  I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint.  The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.

What history credits did you transfer in/where did you get them?
(09-21-2021, 12:21 PM)raycathode Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 10:47 PM)TMcClary Wrote: I am a History major. I transferred in a ton of credits including some UL history so I needed the minimum 10 classes with 5 of them UL history.

I do not think it can be done in one term. Not all HTY/POL classes are available each term. If you need the second language class (Spanish or French 2) that is only available term 2. Originally, I thought I would have to take both Spanish 2 and the non-western history class term 2 but Modern China is available term 1 (it says term 2 on the pdf schedule). I just started that one today.  I have not taken any non-history or poli sci classes yet to compare, but the history classes have had 4 or 5 milestone essays (usually a 500 word minimum but needing more to answer fully) and either a 1200-2000 word essay or a 20-30 page + 1-2000 word PowerPoint.  The PowerPoints take me a a few days each while the essays only take a few hours. If you need all of the required UL classes it would be a challenge to finish them and 2 more classes in one term.

What history credits did you transfer in/where did you get them?
I was a history major at APU/AMU a few years ago. It was a great program but adult life got in the way at that time. But I took several UL history courses there… Historical Methods, Medieval Europe, and Colonial America.

(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The original question was about a semester, which at UMPI is 2 terms, correct? I think people are conflating "semester" and "term" here, and it's confusing.
Yep, I totally misread it as 1 term. Finishing in 1 semester if you transfer in as much as possible is totally doable. I will have 6 classes done term 1.
BA History & Political Science - History Concentration - UMPI - 2021
Done- Waiting for degree conferral 

AA Graphic Design - Penn Foster - 2010 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,432 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
Smile BA history help Ericfun3456 4 399 02-06-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 850 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do you need both Art History I & II to fulfill 2E requirement? Michelle779 7 525 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM
  Mayday! One more course for History minor: what are my options? Junco 5 430 12-03-2023, 07:36 PM
  Good UL credits on Brightspace? (not history/poli sci) umpidawg10 7 981 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: umpidawg10
  Art class, Art History Sara143 25 1,561 09-21-2023, 11:34 AM
  One last UL History class... Duneranger 0 311 09-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Question About Minor, History/Poli Sci MichaelDoesMarketing 6 546 09-14-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MichaelDoesMarketing
  easy history classes with the move to bright space bvndz 19 1,632 09-08-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Duneranger