Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Homeschooled Students? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Homeschooled Students? (/Thread-Homeschooled-Students)

Homeschooled Students? - Stacie - 07-26-2022

Any homeschooled students on here?

RE: Homeschooled Students? - rachel83az - 07-27-2022

Yes. Or their parents.

RE: Homeschooled Students? - bjcheung77 - 07-27-2022

Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board. What is it you're looking at specifically?

RE: Homeschooled Students? - Stacie - 07-27-2022

(07-27-2022, 12:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board.  What is it you're looking at specifically?

Just want to hear what college is/was like for them.  Big Grin

RE: Homeschooled Students? - dfrecore - 07-27-2022

(07-27-2022, 01:31 PM)Stacie Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 12:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board.  What is it you're looking at specifically?

My kid was homeschooled K-8, then did independent study at a charter school for 9-12.  Took a couple of on-campus classes, maybe 3 in 4 years.  She had a 3.5, but I would not say that she was a stellar student, or exceptionally brilliant - just very conscientious about doing her schoolwork every day.  I have never had to tell her to do her work (not even when she was 5).

She has gone to 2 CC's and a 4yr (Purdue Global) and has a 3.2 GPA.  She is not interested in "the college experience" so is fine with online.  She's much more interested in working than school.

She is NOT good at doing open-ended things like Study.com or Sophia.  She definitely needs deadlines.  She takes FOREVER to finish a 1cr Sophia class.  Just not her thing.  But 16-week or 10-week or 8-week classes - she does perfectly well with any of those.  Synchronous or Asynchronous is also not a big deal for her, she doesn't care one way or another.

RE: Homeschooled Students? - Juju7 - 07-27-2022

Homeschool parent here. Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.

RE: Homeschooled Students? - Stacie - 07-27-2022

(07-27-2022, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

My kid was homeschooled K-8, then did independent study at a charter school for 9-12.  Took a couple of on-campus classes, maybe 3 in 4 years.  She had a 3.5, but I would not say that she was a stellar student, or exceptionally brilliant - just very conscientious about doing her schoolwork every day.  I have never had to tell her to do her work (not even when she was 5).

She has gone to 2 CC's and a 4yr (Purdue Global) and has a 3.2 GPA.  She is not interested in "the college experience" so is fine with online.  She's much more interested in working than school.

She is NOT good at doing open-ended things like Study.com or Sophia.  She definitely needs deadlines.  She takes FOREVER to finish a 1cr Sophia class.  Just not her thing.  But 16-week or 10-week or 8-week classes - she does perfectly well with any of those.  Synchronous or Asynchronous is also not a big deal for her, she doesn't care one way or another.

I think that's one of the biggest advantages homeschooling brings. You develop great study habits, which I didn't realize I had until senior year when I took some concurrent enrollment courses and had teachers telling me how impressed they were with my work ethic. Smile

(07-27-2022, 08:02 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Homeschool parent here.  Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.

From someone who took concurrent enrollment, my biggest suggestion to him would be to take as many as he can for the college he's planning to go to. It'll save so much time.

RE: Homeschooled Students? - dfrecore - 07-28-2022

(07-27-2022, 10:12 PM)Stacie Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I think that's one of the biggest advantages homeschooling brings. You develop great study habits, which I didn't realize I had until senior year when I took some concurrent enrollment courses and had teachers telling me how impressed they were with my work ethic. Smile

(07-27-2022, 08:02 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Homeschool parent here.  Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.

From someone who took concurrent enrollment, my biggest suggestion to him would be to take as many as he can for the college he's planning to go to. It'll save so much time.

RE: Homeschooled Students? - MitchellHolst - 08-25-2022

My brother is homeschooled student, and everything is great. He has some problems with deadlines, sometimes it may be complicated for him not to miss them, but in general, no serious problems. It's more about self-discipline