Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New England College DBA and Doctoral-Level Certificates
#1
New England College is introducing a three-year online Doctor of Business Administration. Specializations are Healthcare Management, Organizational Leadership, and Technology and AI Strategies. NEC’s prior business programs are accredited by the ACBSP. 680 x 63 credits + fees = 43 902 estimated total cost.

“Additionally, as students advance through the program, they may earn three stackable certificates: an Executive Leadership certificate, a Specialization certificate, and an Executive Certificate in Applied Doctoral Research. Students can earn a DBA and three doctoral certificates within the same program timeframe and tuition.”
[-] The following 3 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • origamishuttle, PauFraTat, ss20ts
Reply
#2
I wonder if this will be cohort-based, given the "three-year" timeframe. Three years seems a little long, though. Having completed a two-year doctoral program, I can attest that many were ready to do it right after the first year. But I think that was primarily due to the number of courses we were taking before our research phase (and no one dropped out due to burnout).
In-Progress
DEng, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, George Washington University
PhD, Computer Science, Dakota State University
MS, Data Science, Eastern University

Enrolled; Not Started
MA, Organizational Leadership, University of Maine at Presque Isle
MEd, Instructional Design and Educational Technology, American College of Education

Saving for Later
MS, Management Science & Engineering, Stanford University
ALM, Extension Studies in Systems Engineering, Harvard University

Completed
DSc, Information Technology, Middle Georgia State University
MS, Artificial Intelligence, University of Texas at Austin
MEng, Computer Science, Oregon State University
MS, Cybersecurity & Information Assurance, Western Governors University
MBA, IT Management, Western Governors University
MS, Information Systems, Strayer University
BA, Computer Science, Thomas Edison State University
BS, Internetworking Technology, Strayer University
AS, Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University
AAS, Electronic Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force
[-] The following 1 user Likes PauFraTat's post:
  • newdegree
Reply
#3
An ethical question:

If you earn certificates along the way, is it okay to list them in addition to your doctorate? On the one had, I'd say "no" because the degree subsumes them; they're not separate accomplishments.

The associate's degree isn't a good metaphor since it is commonly understood that the associate's is typically--but not always--awarded along the way to the bachelor's.

But I think it would be okay if one made it clear that these certificates were part of the program and earned along the way, then I think not only would it be okay, it would even better explain one's learning from the program.
Doctorate in something
Doctorate in something else
MBA
BS in something
BA in something else
Reply
#4
(02-10-2026, 10:02 PM)Sagan Wrote: An ethical question:

If you earn certificates along the way, is it okay to list them in addition to your doctorate? On the one had, I'd say "no" because the degree subsumes them; they're not separate accomplishments.

The associate's degree isn't a good metaphor since it is commonly understood that the associate's is typically--but not always--awarded along the way to the bachelor's.

But I think it would be okay if one made it clear that these certificates were part of the program and earned along the way, then I think not only would it be okay, it would even better explain one's learning from the program.
I don’t find it problematic. 

Many PhD programs, including the history PhD program that I attended at a well-known research university, grant students a master’s degree on the way to their PhD. My program required successful completion of comprehensive exams and defense of the dissertation prospectus to be awarded the MA. I don’t think many, if any, people would think it unethical to list such a master’s degree on your resume/Vita or to use the MA/MS post nominal letters even after completing the PhD. 

I see these certificates as much the same as the MA/MS as part of a PhD.  

If I were in this DBA program, I would probably list the certificates as I earned them on my resume/Vita. If I didn’t finish the DBA, I would leave them to show that I got some credential out of my studies. If I finished the DBA, I would take them off. That’s a personal decision, but the typical DBA recipient is middle-aged or older and likely has a decade or more of experience including management experience. They also likely have a master’s and certain a bachelors. They likely also have important skills and perhaps other licenses and designations. I want people to focus on those, not some certificates that were earned while my doctorate was in-process and which constituted part of the doctorate course of study. That’s personal preference though. I wouldn’t fault anybody for listing them.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 6 users Like freeloader's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle, Sagan, ss20ts, SteveFoerster, wow
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $8650 regionally accredited DBA: Level 8 + Westcliff DBA through Capital College David1477 18 5,265 09-08-2026, 11:31 PM
Last Post: tordan
  Walsh College\GreatLearning DBA in AIML; 12500$ artem 41 20,798 07-18-2026, 10:58 AM
Last Post: artem
  American College of Education Developing Online DBA, STEM Education EdD & EdS Jonathan Whatley 7 2,061 07-15-2026, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Twrix
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 251 118,025 06-22-2026, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Al3xBurns
  South College DBA cc95 136 60,670 06-13-2026, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Possible Issue with UK Level 8 Diplomas FireMedic_Philosopher 30 13,410 06-01-2026, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Aded Academic VA
Photo Mexico San Miguel PhD and Poland Jagiellonian College DBA NOT WES! Jack Ma 66 31,317 03-30-2026, 08:43 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Does O.P. Jindal Global University allow doctoral study at a distance? EliEverIsAHero 7 2,556 01-05-2026, 03:04 PM
Last Post: EliEverIsAHero
  Doctoral Degree Check In (regionally accredited) newdegree 14 4,726 12-28-2025, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  South College DBA Program (IT Specialization) - Progress Tracker wiresandscreens 36 16,783 12-01-2025, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)