Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Learning a Language
#1
Just wondering how many of you have learned a language on your own, meaning with just books, CD's, DVD, or other methods. I lived in Mexico for six years and had taken Spanish in high school all the way through AP and I still took at least six months of living in Mexico before I felt comfortable communicating.

Now, I really want to learn Portuguese as I feel that it will compliment my Spanish and be very helpful for my company's efforts in Latin America. (Not to mention, I just think it is really cool)

I went online and rather spontaneously bought Rosetta Stone. I had planned to do a bunch of research to compare methods, but there were so many contradictory reviews. Then, I stumbled across a great sale and found it for 63% off the original price, so it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, though definitely still expensive!

Anyhow.. I guess the purpose of the thread isn't to find out how good Rosetta Stone is, because the purchase has already been made. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here that has successfully taught themselves a language enough to manage a basic, or even an advanced conversation. I would really love to hear your experience and advice!

Thanks!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin


My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 06-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Learning a Language - by Lindagerr - 06-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Learning a Language - by brothert69 - 06-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Learning a Language - by LaterBloomer - 06-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Learning a Language - by PonyGirl93 - 06-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Learning a Language - by PonyGirl93 - 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Learning a Language - by ryoder - 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Learning a Language - by LaceyLady - 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Learning a Language - by Lindagerr - 06-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Learning a Language - by siervodecristo - 06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Learning a Language - by NAP - 08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Learning a Language - by burbuja0512 - 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Learning a Language - by PonyGirl93 - 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Learning a Language - by CLEP101 - 08-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Learning a Language - by beetlebored - 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Learning a Language - by OE800_85 - 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Learning a Language - by PonyGirl93 - 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Learning a Language - by HorseManiac - 10-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Learning a Language - by NAP - 10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Learning a Language - by LaterBloomer - 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distance Learning Day and Labor Day Charles Fout 0 1,015 09-02-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degreed raises money for their Learning & Upskilling Platform bjcheung77 0 1,605 09-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 1,437 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Language learning bundle rachel83az 4 3,291 12-17-2021, 11:49 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Eye Level Learning vs Kumon (and/or alternatives) bjcheung77 1 10,301 10-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 1,562 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Learning Care Group Acquires Young School bjcheung77 0 1,533 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  @Home - Free Learning Resources bjcheung77 2 2,524 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  cyberattacks on distance learning Alpha 1 2,136 01-17-2021, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Scorcher
  uTalk Language Learning Essentials - FREE bjcheung77 2 2,723 11-08-2020, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)