Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
interesting info on TESC website
#5
WOW! This is shocking to me. My assumption was that most students, at least in the online environment, were testing out of classes. It is too bad that more aren't taking advantage of this option.

When I was in high school, a long time ago, I took my first computer programming course. At the time, I didn't know the difference between a computer and a microwave. I really had know idea what a computer was used for --- like I said, it was a long time ago. I'd only taken the course because I was afraid of taking trig. I was completely lost in class. The textbook wasn't much help either. Eventually, I went to the library and got another book on programming. I basically used this book to teach myself how to program. I loved it. I spent hours writing programs into notebooks when I was supposed to be learning chemistry, English, etc. I also spent hours debugging code that I had written but wasn't working correctly. My code was too complicated to ask for help from the teacher, so I had no choice but to solve the problems myself. This was real learning. I've now been working as a software developer for over 30 years.

It was later in life that realized I could learn anything like I had learned how to program. I didn't need to sit in a classroom and listen to a teacher lecturing in order to learn. Based on my own personal experience, I find learning on my own is far more effective. It is the students who need a teacher to walk them through the learning process who are really shorting themselves. They have to sit through material they already know as the teacher tries to get all the students on the same page. They need to sit through instruction aimed at the middle of the class even if they could go quicker (or need to go slower). If the instructor mentions something they find interesting there is no guarantee the instructor can go into details because of time constraints. When you struggle with something and are eventually able to figure out the answer on your own, you will remember it forever. Having a teacher prod you to the answer simply isn't the same thing.


Messages In This Thread
interesting info on TESC website - by cookderosa - 12-25-2012, 08:44 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by sanantone - 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by NAP - 12-25-2012, 09:46 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by clep3705 - 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by Daithi - 12-26-2012, 12:01 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by Demo18cc - 12-26-2012, 03:00 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by ryoder - 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by scorched - 12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by IrishJohn - 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by cookderosa - 12-27-2012, 01:51 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by sanantone - 12-27-2012, 02:00 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by Ace_King - 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by rebel100 - 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by Tampamom3 - 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by sanantone - 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by IrishJohn - 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by Prloko - 12-28-2012, 03:01 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by bluk30 - 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by rebel100 - 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by sklineho - 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by cookderosa - 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by IrishJohn - 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by sanantone - 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by Ace_King - 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by IrishJohn - 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by sanantone - 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by Katzepatra - 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by cookderosa - 01-27-2013, 02:35 AM
interesting info on TESC website - by CLEP101 - 01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
interesting info on TESC website - by rebel100 - 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 37,033 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 12,483 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 3,256 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 4,614 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 6,578 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 17,935 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 3,567 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 5,180 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 29,246 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 10,398 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)