Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
DSST Principles of Statistics - Some Practical Advice
#1
Before I took the Stats DSST test I searched this forum for some good pre-test advice, but did not find much help. Well, I took the test yesterday and got a 444. I am relieved to have passed the test and want to share some advice for those who are trying to tackle Stats.

1. Instantcert flash cards were very helpful and were my primary study tool. I also did the 3 free practice tests on Peterson's DOD site. The Peterson's practice tests were much harder than the real test. so they helped as well.
2. You will need to memorize several key formulas; namely, Std Error of the Mean, Mutually Exclusive, Non-Mutually Exclusive, Dependent and Non-Dependent Probability, Standard Deviation, Y-Intercept, Slope of Linear Regression, Permutations, Combinations, and Z-Score Formula. Make sure you have these formulas committed to memory before the test.
3. USE YOUR TIME WISELY! You have 120 minutes to answer 98 questions, so that only leaves you 73 seconds per question. I had over 20 questions left when I got the 5 minute warning and had to start guessing at questions and did not even get to answer the last 10. I was very lucky to pass by only answering 88 questions.
4. I spent about 3 weeks studying and pretty much had the Instantcert flash card questions memorized by the time I took the test.
5. One thing the Instantcert flash cards do not cover very well is Significance Level and Chi Square; you will need to know both of them for a lot of questions. I used the Khan Academy videos for those 2 topics, but still was not very comfortable with either topic going into the test. I think most the questions I got wrong were on those 2 topics.

I hope this information helps anyone who is trying to test out of this very difficult subject.

Good Luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes atlmapas's post:
  • lucindaperry
Reply


Messages In This Thread
DSST Principles of Statistics - Some Practical Advice - by atlmapas - 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Developing New Tests in Several CLEP Subjects Jonathan Whatley 1 927 07-02-2026, 04:57 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  489 and Pass on Principles of Public Speaking Pt 1 and 2 Tbwitzel 0 3,124 06-14-2025, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Tbwitzel
  453 score on Principles of Supervision Tbwitzel 1 2,426 06-11-2025, 12:33 PM
Last Post: klone
  DSST Statistics lorellabee 3 3,381 04-25-2025, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 6 5,485 11-12-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: mbcummings
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 4,409 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 2,985 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 1,819 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Transcript help needed GameSlinger 5 4,415 08-15-2023, 02:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking DSST Ethics In Technology Exam Tomorrow Kyler 0 1,723 07-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kyler

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)